Author Topic: graphics bug  (Read 177 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
graphics bug
« on: November 26, 2005, 05:39:25 PM »
A small graphics bug:

I was testing my computer's stability in AH and loaded up a P-51D with full fuel and let it fly on autopilot.  A few hours later, the cockpit, plane, gun tracers, and ground (water) disappeared.  I thought it might be a problem due to the high altitude it had reached, although without the cockpit or plane visible I couldn't determine how high I was.  Firing the guns showed no tracers.

The clipboard would come up normally.

I started a descent and thought I'd descend until I could see the water, but I impacted the invisible terrain before the terrain became visible again.

After getting back to the tower, I re-upped and everything worked fine so my guess is that if you get too far from the map, not only does the terrain quit drawing, but anything related to the plane quits drawing as well.

I wonder if the art for the plane and the tracers were floating somewhere at the boundary of the drawing box, but this sort of sounds like a bug that could be exploited if a boundary was exceeded allowing me to fly around without the cockpit and aircraft art.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
graphics bug
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 07:17:29 PM »
Your entire plane will disappear promptly at 95,000 feet. Descending below this it will promptly reappear. You can only get that high with a wind updraft, however... Maybe you were just so far off the map you were "in the abyss"?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
graphics bug
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:52:44 PM »
I didn't get that high... at least I don't think so.  I slowly descended while heading back to where I thought the map was, but I impacted the invisible ground before the plane and cockpit artwork reappeared.  I should have known it because true airspeed was approaching indicated airspeed, but it looked like I was still really high so I kept descending and hit the ground.

It sounds like there's a bounding box outside which you leave the artwork behind.  For consistency's sake it might be worthwhile to wrap the world around on itself at the borders, or convert the coordinate system to a spherical model so you can fly around the virtual world instead of flying off the map and having the plane and terrain just disappear.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 07:55:02 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
graphics bug
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 08:41:20 PM »
I've vanished at 75K before...same issue. Doesn't bother me.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.