Author Topic: PB4Y-1 <--- Now this is a perk plane he he  (Read 541 times)

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
PB4Y-1 <--- Now this is a perk plane he he
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »

Project Anvil

Two PB4Y-1s of VB-110 were modified as pilotless flying bombs to be launched against high-priority targets in occupied Europe. Known as *Project Anvil*, the initial goal was to take out a German V-2 installation in occupied France. A PB4Y-1 was fitted with remote control gear, a forward-looking television camera to be used in the final run in to the target, and 25,000 pounds of explosives.  Since there was no time to develop remotely-controlled takeoff equipment, the aircraft was to be flown to an altitude of 2000 feet by a pilot, who would arm the explosives, hand the aircraft over to remote control, and then bail out.

The first operation took place on August 12, 1944. The two pilots flying the PB4Y-1 were Lt. Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr (JFK's older brother) and Lt. Wilford J. Willy. The PB4Y-1 was accompanied by a Lockeed PV-1 control aircraft and a USAAF B-17 to monitor the television transmissions. However, the PB4Y-1 exploded 20 minutes after takeoff, killing both pilots. A fusing system malfunction was apparently to blame for the accident.

The second try took place on September 3, 1944, this time against an airfield in Heligoland, the original French V-2 site having by this time been overrun by Allied troops. Lt. Ralph Spaulding piloted the takeoff of the modified PB4Y-1 and was able to parachute to safety after having armed the explosives. Control was handed over to the PV-1, and the aircraft was flown at low altitude across the North Sea. The crew in the B-17 had a clear view via television of the approach to the target. Although the TV camera was put of action by flak just before the PB4Y-1 struck, the observers in the other planes saw a massive explosion as the Liberator struck its target.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 05:28:46 PM »
This is is similar program from the PTO
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app1/bq-4.html

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:07:29 PM »
Hell who would have thought that they used unmanned aircraft in WWII....

Offline justin_g

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
They made remote bombs out of B-17's too.

Germans had the "Mistletoe" setup with a Fw 190 or Bf 109 mounted on top of a Ju 88 which had its cockpit replaced with a warhead, the fighter would detach and guide the bomber to the target. Picture of Mistel I

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 02:19:01 AM »
Originally posted by justin_g

JFK's brother was killed in one when it exploded prematurely. The pilot took it off the ground and then parachuted when it was set on its mission.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 08:05:19 AM »
The Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola has I think the only remaining TDR-1 on display.

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 12:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by justin_g

Germans had the "Mistletoe" setup with a Fw 190 or Bf 109 mounted on top of a Ju 88 which had its cockpit replaced with a warhead, the fighter would detach and guide the bomber to the target. Picture of Mistel I

Mistle also happened to be the world's first 'Fly by wire' aircraft. They used position sensors on the Fw-190F's controls linked to servos in the Mistle's controls, for both flight controls and engines. Pretty neat little setup.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 05:04:26 PM »
"the initial goal was to take out a German V-2 installation in occupied France"

nope. it was designed to take out a V3 site. the V3 was a set of giant cannons that were housed underground and aimed at england.

PS
the tragic death of JPK Jr. was compounded by the fact that his target had been destroyed by the brittish a week earlier.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:08:29 PM »
Originally posted by SMIDSY
PS
the tragic death of JPK Jr. was compounded by the fact that his target had been destroyed by the brittish a week earlier.

I thought they destroyed it a week after.

I have a photo in one of my books of the American Mossie crew who almost died when the flying bomb exploded taken just after they landed.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
no, a week before. due to lack of communication between her magesty's bomber command and the american army air forces, this was not communicated.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:34:14 PM »
His Magesty's Bomber Command.
:p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 07:21:54 PM »
oh dear, my mistake. its kinda hard to keep track of. i feel rather stupid right now.