Author Topic: The Onion Strikes Back  (Read 462 times)

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
The Onion Strikes Back
« on: September 27, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
I wondered how The Onion would react in the wake of the tragedy. Actually I didn’t think about it at all until a friend e-mailed me after reading the newest issue online, but then I became curious. Not as funny as other issues of the Onion, obviously, but not intended to be. It is one of the best though. IMO they handled it well. I particularly liked  “Hijackers Surprised To Find Selves In Hell 'We Expected Eternal Paradise For This,' Say Suicide Bombers” and “Not Knowing What Else To Do, Woman Bakes American-Flag Cake,” which you’ll have to know the Onion style with similarly headlined “articles” to understand why it is so poignant. “Talking To Your Child About The WTC Attack” is also a surprise. A class act all around. Here’s the link, it’s a bit slow today though. The Onion

Charon

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The Onion Strikes Back
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
From "Point - Counterpoint"

I must also respond to the many voices in this country who have been calling for the use of nuclear weapons. Weapons of mass destruction are not to be used lightly. Much thought and caution must be exercised before making the country that gave safe haven to the perpetrators an unlivable radioactive wasteland. Vigorous debate and discussion must precede any inevitable decision regarding target locations and the number of weapons. This is one area where you absolutely don't want to make a mistake.

We must remember that impulsively lashing out is never the best course of action. True justice can only be achieved through cool, calm, levelheaded armageddon.

hehehhe... I like this rag. Always have.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
The Onion Strikes Back
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
I thought they nailed it - kudos onion.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
The Onion Strikes Back
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks....I needed that.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Onion Strikes Back
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
"President Urges Calm, Restraint Among Nation's Ballad Singers"

lol- definitely. i am bracing for all the saccharine crap that will surely follow from those idiots....

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
The Onion Strikes Back
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
That issue was a classic, all around. The TV Grid was especially good  :)

"Talking To Blink 182 About The Tragedy"
"Carson Daly In Way Over His Head"

Hehe

Spitboy -SW-