Author Topic: Thin-skinned Hog?  (Read 290 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Thin-skinned Hog?
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »
Does durability on the F4U seem off to anyone else? You're talking a bird that even P-47 drivers acknowledged could take more damage than about any other single-engine fighter used by the US, yet I've regularly taken off (and HAD taken off) wings with not even a half-second burst of .50cal, and tails snap off (again, being both in and watching the plane being hit) with only light hits.

Friend of mine who got me into the game and spent time in the F4U in previous patches and versions acknowledged she seemed to have a bit of a glass jaw now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 02:57:35 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Thin-skinned Hog?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:16:39 AM »
My guess would be you just were unlucky and those shots hit you in convergence (YES, then a short burst of even 303s is enough to snap a wing, let alone Cal50). From my end (Hurri) the Corsairs i try to shoot are just as hard to get parts off as ever.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Thin-skinned Hog?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 05:11:23 AM »
I don't think so, it does, in my own opinion, takes oil tank hits queit frequently though..........

I fly the Hogs (all except the F4U-4) near 95% of the time.........since this game got them............

I got a classic AH1 film, where I had 1/2 my vertical stabilizer gone ( rudder missing ) missing an elevator, aileron, bullet holes all over and 1 side of gear shot away , and still managed to shoot down a niki and a zeke and fly her home, so I say she is pretty damn tough...........( was a F4U-1D Hog )......

most hits for me is getting an oil leak..........in AH2
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC