Author Topic: Spitfires, general performance and observations  (Read 584 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Spitfires, general performance and observations
« on: December 02, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »
My analysis of the new and revised Spitfires: General performance and observations.

When the latest update was released, I immediately tested all of the new and revised aircraft, including the Bf 109s. This analysis will deal only with the Spitfires.

Generally, I had not been flying Spitfires very often in the MA. When I did, I preferred the Mk.V or the Seafire as they were not far behind speed and climb with the Mk.IX, but handling and turning ability of the former was markedly superior.

Testing began with the LF Mk.XVI. I recorded maximum speeds at sea level and at best altitude. I tested sustained climb rate and I tested initial roll rate (over 360°). Roll rate data will be graphed and added a bit later. A speed chart is included below.

I learned that the Mk.XVI was one of the best low to medium altitude fighters in the plane set. Climb from sea level to 10,000 feet was marginally better than the Bf 109K4. Acceleration is in the top 10. Roll rate, while inferior to the Fw 190 at the speed where 190s roll their fastest, was just about equal over 180- 220 mph range. Turn rate seemed at least as good as the Mk.IX. Low level speed is adequate, if not stellar at 343 to 344 mph. At its best altitude (20,000 ft) I attained 405 mph. Unlike the other Spitfires, the Mk.XVI’s cannons are supplemented with a pair of BMG .50 caliber MGs. These are far more lethal than four .303 caliber guns and have a greater effective range to boot. Up to 1,000 pounds of mixed under-wing ordnance can be carried, as well as a slipper-type external fuel tank.

Testing the Mk.VIII showed it to be another very able fighter. Climb was only slightly less than the Mk.XVI. Acceleration was slightly less than the Mk.XVI as well. Roll rate was far below the Mk.XVI, with the fastest roll rate being more than 30° less than the clipped-wing Mk.XVI. Sustained turn rate seemed equal to the Mk.XVI and the old Mk.IX. I measured 337 mph at sea level and 403 mph at 21,000 feet. This fighter is able to carry a single 500 lb bomb under the fuselage.

As dogfighters, the Mk.XVI is slightly better than the Mk.VIII simply due to the formers much better roll rate. However, either is formidable with a competent pilot at the controls.

I did not do extensive performance testing for the Mk.V, Seafire Mk.IIc or Spitfire Mk.I, but I will pass on what testing results I do have and give you my impressions of flying them.

Spitfire Mk.I: Improved acceleration and climb due to an increase in supercharger boost. Seems a tad faster on the deck, only 3 mph slower than the revised Mk.Vb. Roll rate is inferior to all other Spitfires, and gets worse as speed increases (due to fabric covered ailerons). Climb rate is improved, but only slightly. Overall, the Mk.I is better than before, but still not a good choice for the MA environment.

Spitfire Mk.Vb: Performance has been rolled back by changing from the more powerful Mk.Vc to the earlier version. This was done by reducing supercharger boost from 16 lbs, back down to 12 lbs. Climb, acceleration and speed all have suffered as a result. Maximum speed at sea level has been reduced from 314 mph down to 305 mph. Moreover, the amount of cannon ammunition has been cut in half as the Mk.Vb’s Hispanos are now fed from 60 round drums. Overall, with the exception of better rolling ability and the added firepower of the cannons, the revised Mk.V is not greatly superior to the Mk.I in general performance.

Seafire Mk.IIc: Similar power as the Mk.Vb, but with a little added weight. This aircraft retains the 120 rounds per cannon. Overall, I would take the Seafire over the Mk.V for MA flying simply because of the greater lethality offered by the 240 round total 20mm ammo capacity and the ability to operate from a carrier deck. This aircraft can also carry one 500 lb bomb under its fuselage. Maximum speed at sea level was recorded at 304 mph.

Spitfire F Mk.IX: Carried over unchanged from previous version, with the exception of armament load-out options. Better high altitude performance than the Mk.XVI, but significantly inferior down low. With the Mk.XVI and Mk.VIII available, the Mk.IX will get less use. Maximum speed at sea level is 319 mph. However, at high altitude the Mk.IX comes alive, handily out-climbing the Mk.VIII and Mk.XVI above 20,000 feet. At 27,000 feet, the Mk.IX can attain 413 mph in WEP and 404 mph in MIL power. Consider that the Mk.VIII can only manage 396 mph with WEP at 25,000 feet and you can see that up above 25,000 feet, the Mk.IX is the fastest Merlin Spitfire of the lot. Handling is excellent, easily equal to the Mk.VIII, and rate of roll is faster as well. Like all Spitfires, ailerons stiffen up at very high speeds. However, the light elevators can allow the pilot to exceed airframe limits and pull off the wings at higher velocities. Armament is the same as the Mk.VIII, two 20 mm cannon and four .303 machineguns. No under-wing ordnance is available.

Spitfire F Mk.XIV: Like the Mk.IX, this fighter is carried over with no changes in performance. However, with the high-performance Merlin powered Mk. XVI and Mk.VIII; I do not believe there is any reason to retain the moderate perk price assigned to the Mk.XIV. I’m of the opinion that the perk price should be reduced to 10. Armament is the same as the Mk.XVI. In terms of performance, the heavier Mk.XIV offers a sustained climb rate virtually identical to the Mk.VIII through 10,000 feet. Speed is greater, being at least 22 mph faster than the Mk.VIII on the deck, with the gap increasing as you go higher. At its best altitude (27,500 ft), it is among the fastest fighters in the plane set (445 mph). Handling is a bit quirky as the big Griffon engine and the 5-bladed propeller generate a great deal of torque. Thus, the Mk.XIV turns significantly better to the left than to the right. Landing is a bit more complicated as the torque makes low-speed maneuvering more dicey than in the other Spitfires. Turning rate is similar to the Mk.IX to the left, and inferior to the Mk.IX to the right. Acceleration is at the top of the heap, meaning that it is one of the fastest accelerating fighters in the plane-set. This fighter is very possibly the best E-fighter in the game. While it can turn fight nearly as well as the Mk.VIII, its greatest strength rests in its combination of speed, acceleration and vertical performance. If you must turn fight it is able to compete well enough, but you would be wasting its capability if you fly it like a Mk.V. There are other Spitfires better suited for knife fighting.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 02:49:48 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
as usual widewing, well written and well presented.

hap

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »
Good writeup.

A correction and an additional note:

The Spitfire Mk XIV is armed like the Mk XVI, with two 20mm and two .50 cals, not like the Mk VIII with two 20mm and four .303s.

Additionally it should be noted that the Mk VIII and Mk XIV carry an additional 27 gallons of fuel in wing tanks.  This allows the Mk XIV to almost match the endurance of the Mk IX or Mk XVI despite the fuel guzzling Griffon and it makes the Mk VIII's fuel endurance noticably superior to the other Spitfires.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:50:27 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Good writeup.

A correction and an additional note:

The Spitfire Mk XIV is armed like the Mk XVI, with two 20mm and two .50 cals, not like the Mk VIII with two 20mm and four .303s.

Fixed... Thanks for the heads-up.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 03:51:06 PM »
The VIII and XVI will be a lot closer with equal amounts of fuel.

The VIII with the same fuel load should actually climb slightly better than the XVI. Clipped wings lost about 200fpm on average per 1000ft.

In order to get equal fuel you would have to burn off the extra 27 gallons (or part thereof depending on total fuel load) carried by the VIII.
After that the VIII should climb slightly better (full wings) and be marginally faster than the XVI (due to the VIII retractible tailwheel).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 03:56:08 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:29 AM »
In regards to the V, it does have an improved rate of roll over the I, as well as a superior climb, and acceleration. It certainly handles very well, much like the old V did. No it doesn't boost at +16 but +12 is not too bad. Also, the standard (non wep) max boost in both fighters (old and new V) was +9 lbs, and it certainly is no different there. Ammo is reduced, true, but the power of the 2 cannons is still enough to bring down an enemy machine in short order, on a good hit. Don't spray, just get in close.

Just some thoughts on that. Its a 1941 Vb, but thats ok by me.

As for the VIII and XVI, ya they are sweet indeed.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 12:30:02 AM »
Funny thing happened on the way to my Spit XVI...

I've started flying the Spit IX again, and it sure flies nice.  I've had no trouble with Spit XVIs down low in it outside of Lev, who ate me alive, although I did get the first hit in, and one other guy who was doing some strange things in a VIII that I couldn't follow.

I still like the XVI, but the IX just feels smoother for some reason.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 02:53:00 AM »
Probably the clipped wings makes the XVI feel just a bit off. IX is still the classic, very smooth. Like Drambuie on ice. Yum. :D
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 02:01:56 PM »
Spit dweebs                                ;)
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 03:53:32 AM »
Try the VIII on the XVI as well ;)
By the way I was flapping abot in a 109F fighting a Spit XVI recently and shot him eventually. But the roll rate is a tough one.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)