Author Topic: Translation please?? 109F2 with odd rutsatz  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Translation please?? 109F2 with odd rutsatz
« on: December 19, 2005, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:54:28 PM »
rocket launchers

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.kurfurst.org
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:10:58 PM »
It's RZ 65 – een raketlanceerinstallatie.

Dutch is some crazy language, like someone garbled German and English (my apologies to all guys who speak that one).

I recall it's some odd multi-rocket launcher device that was experimened with on some poor 109F, but didn't saw service for sure. Can't find the book where I seen it...
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site
http://www.kurfurst.org

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »
Rockets? Like, for A2A? Or A2G?

EDIT: Oh, and what's the one that looks like it has a gun barrel coming out of it? Second picture down I think

Offline Orka

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader52.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:43:20 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Rockets? Like, for A2A? Or A2G?

EDIT: Oh, and what's the one that looks like it has a gun barrel coming out of it? Second picture down I think

A2A
Thats "barrel" is for load the weapon, like olders artillery cannons.

greets

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »
Yep, this is an spin-stabilized rocket system, the RZ 65.
RZ is standing for "Rauchzylinder" wich means something like smokecylinder. This name was choosen for security reasons. According to my books,  payload was 130 to 190 g (slight under a half pound) and range around 500m (not sure on this)  The RZ designed in late 41 and never went into service, only small numbers were used in field trials, first against ground targets, later on against aerial targets, too. I dont have any reports on these trials, i only read that the precisions was quite low, much lower than the MG/FF.
The "barrel" is indeed a "laadstok" wich is simply the dutch word for ramrod ;)
According to this site, the weight of this installation was lower than a gondola with MG 151, and "De vliegcapaciteiten van de jager ondervond geen merkbare negatieve invloed door de installatie van deze raketbewapening." = there was no perceptible negative influence on the plane´s flight.
There is a little bit more info on this page, if anybody wants, i could translate it tomorrow. But i think we have dutch gamers here who can do that faster than me ...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 04:39:10 AM »
It's in Dutch which happens to be my native language. The website is from Belgium, Dutch is the official language for the Flemish part of that country.

Dutch is a Germanic language and has much in common with German, so I'm quite surprised Kurfy does not like it.

ANYWAY. I will translate it, but give me some time.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:10:17 AM »
Here it is. Not a literal translation but pretty close. I have the distinct impression though that the text had been translated form English or German before and enjoyed many adventures on its way :D Sometimes the text does not make sense so don't blame me if you don't understand. If you can point out obvious errors please do so.

Due to the allied bomber formations that were entering German airspace on an almost daily basis in 1943, the German war economy, in particular heavy industry, suffered from a considerable loss of productivity. Because the bombers were equipped with heavy defensive armament and their armour was continuously upgraded, Germany tried to make the Luftwaffe's standard (light) fighter, the Me-109 more effective against the bombers by equipping them with a heavier attack armament. One of those weapons was the RZ 65.

General description:
During the sping and summer of 1943, at the Luftwaffe test centre, a Me-109 F-2 was equipped with four EG (Einzel geräte, literally: Single devices) under its wings. These were meant for the firing of the RZ 65, a rocket launcher. On the underside of the wings a simple hardpoint made from steel profiles was mounted. This hardpoint stretched from the wheel well to the iron cross (I assume this is what is meant, 'balkenkruis = 'balkenkreuz' = 'iron cross') and from the wing leading edge almost to the flaps. The hardpoints were fixed so they kept mounted to the wings  when the EG's were exchanged.
The seperate EG's for the RZ 65 were bolted to the front profile (maybe bracket is a better word) of the hardpoint by means of a ring. The second ring served as the mounting for the rear. To that the beveled (?) exhaust of each EG was connected. The barrels of the RZ 65 protruded from the leading edge of the wing. The distance from the fuselage centre to the middel of the barrel was 2.068mm, the distance between the barrels was 128mm. The barrels were rifled with three grooves under an angle of 120 degrees. These ensured the stability of the RZ 65.
The rockets for the EG's were loaded by means of a ramrod. At the end of a barrel the rocket could be connected to the ignition and firing magnet (?, literal translation, maybe a solenoid was meant) by means of an Allen key.
The complete weapon system was covered by a streamlined fairing, mounted to the hardpoint with flanges. The front part of the fairing was connected to the wing leading edge to ensure a proper airflow.
The weight of the RZ 65 installation was less than the MG 151 gondola armament The flight characteristics of the fighter were not adversively influenced by this rocket armament

The main switch for the RZ 65 could be located in the cockpit on the instrument panel next to the light switches. The fuse and breaker box was mounted below the instrument panel.
The commence firing the safety switch was set to 'Ein', together with the desired action of the rockets. They could be fired one by one or all together. The first group consisted of rockets 1-3 and 6-8 and these could be selected by selction switch one. The second group, 2-4 and 5-7 was selected by switch 2. The actual firing was done by pressing the 'B' button on the stick.
Shooting the rockets one by one was only allowed on the firing range. For tis purpose the rockets were only loaded and fired from their respective EG's. Adjusting for the trajectory of the rockets was done by adding or removing discs on the rear mounting ring. Convergence was set by means of an Allen key and an adjusting screw.

The following ammuntion could be fired with the RZ 65:
•   RZ 65 Ub: übungsmunition. Practice round, only used on the firing range
•   RZ 65 ZZ15177: Rockets with impact fuse and ± 4 sec timed fuses. Explosive charge 190 gr, used against air- and surface targets.
•   RZ 65 AZ 65: Rockets with impact fuse against surface targets, explosive charge 160 gr.

When attacking bomber formations frontal attacks were preferred. During such attacks the rockets were fired at a distance of ± 1.000 m. Because the rockets did not have a flat trajectory the fuses were set from 3.4 to 4.6 seconds, sufficient to obtain results against the bombers in the formation. Point of impact was 100 meters behind the aircraft in front of the formation
When attacking from behind there was always a chance that the rockets would fall short without effect on the formation. Normal setting for the rockets was angled 1° 50" upwards. Because of this the fighter had to fly at the same altitude as the bombers. Because the rockets had to overtake the bombers (firing needed to be done at a large distance to avoid the defensive armament) there was a good chance that they would explode (timed fuses) before the bombers were in range or that their speed had dropped to that of the bombers when they reached the formation. The fighter's sights were adjusted at 500m
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 06:12:22 AM by hogenbor »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 08:06:29 AM »
Ahh, there was one faster (and more qualified) than poor Lusche - that´s what i was hoping for :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 09:36:27 AM »
Ah well, it was a fun thing to do :aok Please ignore the typos.

I had trouble with a few words though. some of them I didn't even knew the DUTCH meaning of  :(  Wtf is a 'stiftsleutel'? Most translations point to an Allen key but literal Dutch translation to that is 'inbussleutel'. I think a special key was meant, the kind you open transformer houses and train wagons with.

The description of the mounting is also a bit strange, maybe literal translations or interpretations were made from the original text. I adapted it to what I know are acceptable English words. I'm pretty sure they try to describe a fixed hardpoint for the rocket launcher though.

The description on why attacks from dead six were unpopular is also a bit awkward. Well, if the rockets fall short, adjust the firing angle and the fuses, how hard can it be?

But I guess most of you aren't interested in a linguistic treatise but in the rustsatz :D

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »
Ah darn, saw this threat too late to translate! :D

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 01:54:52 AM »
I'll translate the images instead.

view of the EG R25 below the wing of a Me-190 F-2. The forward covering has been removed.

The EG's were loaded by means of a loading-stick and an allen-key

The non-fired rockets could be removed by means of an 'unloading-stick' (loading stick with special mount)

Another view of the EG R25 below the wing. The forward covering has been removed.

Device for selecting the rockets.

Main switch for the EG RZ65 on the instrument panel

The fire-button (B-button) for the rockets of the EG RZ65 on the stick.