Author Topic: Guns and Ammo + MG and 20mm smoke puffs test.  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Guns and Ammo + MG and 20mm smoke puffs test.
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2005, 09:57:23 AM »
Originally posted by Charge
One is enough if it works as it is supposed to.

Depends on what is being shot.  A fighter?  Sure, but I can't recall a fighter taking a 30mm round to the wing and not losing it in AH.  A bomber? That would probably take a single hit.

As to your comments about Hispano AP rounds, they were seldom, if ever, used.  Normally Hispano's fired HEI rounds, while not as destructive as a German mine shell, they were more destructive than the standard German HE round.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »
Charge a 20mm hit (or any hit) will count as dammage. That dammage will remain untill next hit is taken, no matter how long it takes.

If you hit a plane with 3x20mm in the wing and nothing happens and he runs away. 30 minutes later you engage the same guy again and out 2x MG rounds in him chances are that those two rounds will bring the dammage up to 100% and cut his wing off.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:57 PM »
"Sure, but I can't recall a fighter taking a 30mm round to the wing and not losing it in AH."

Fly 109s and you'll notice it happening. It IS frustrating.

"As to your comments about Hispano AP rounds, they were seldom, if ever, used. Normally Hispano's fired HEI rounds, while not as destructive as a German mine shell, they were more destructive than the standard German HE round."

I thought they (AP) were always half of the belting. In the beginning they were 50/50 AP/Ball and in the end they were 50/50 AP/HE?
One source claims HET - AP - HE - AP.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2005, 03:06:04 PM »
Belt setup depended on what plane and what gun that was used Charge and even in some cases what pilot flew it.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Mime

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2005, 03:23:33 PM »
I've been shooting off my 30mm loads in AH since beta, I don't think I've ever busted a 30mm nut on an opponent's wing without him losing it entirely or the wingtip.  The worst thing is when you hit the fuselage near the engine and the guy flies off and ditches without his engine and  without getting the kill on him.

Offline Mime

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 03:24:42 PM »
BTW How often were MG151 20mm's loaded with "minen" shells?  Why don't we have that in AH?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2005, 03:36:55 PM »
Originally posted by Mime
BTW How often were MG151 20mm's loaded with "minen" shells?  Why don't we have that in AH?

We do, but only every third or fourth round as I recall.  But because AH averages the damage each round does across the belt it just means that each shot from an MG151/20 does a little bit more than standard HE and a lot less than a mine shell.  The Hispano benefits from this as the ammo was homogenous.

I would like to see detailed belt loading in AH.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 03:54:27 PM »
We do, but only every third or fourth round as I recall. But because AH averages the damage each round does across the belt it just means that each shot from an MG151/20 does a little bit more than standard HE and a lot less than a mine shell. The Hispano benefits from this as the ammo was homogenous.

Well, that's the theory, at least. Ofcourse, no confirmation/denial exists in the official sense IIRC. Personally I also think that it's the only explanation as to why some 20mms are so unbelievably more effective than others.  ;)

I would like to see detailed belt loading in AH.

Yup.

Aside from the old DM, that would probably be one of those 'whopper' sized changes that could bring AH2 forward a large step.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
"BTW How often were MG151 20mm's loaded with "minen" shells? Why don't we have that in AH?"

Most common load-out:

20 mm (MG-FF, MG 151/20)

* 2 Minengeschoß m. Zerl.
    * 2 Brandsprenggranatpatronen L'spur m. Zerl
      oder Brandgranatpatronen
    * 1 Panzersprenggranatpatrone o. Zerl
      oder Panzerbrandgranatpatrone (Phospor) o. Zerl.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-am.html

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2005, 01:58:48 PM »
Charge,

I would like to see that belt modeled in AH, with the different rounds tracked individually for purposes of damage.

I am not as keen on allowing the player to setup custom belts as that would simply devolve into, for example, 100% minen shells, or whatever the most effective round for a given gun is.

Just model each gun with it's most common belt and model and track each round individually for purposes of damage.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-