Author Topic: Google earth plane graveyard  (Read 388 times)

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
Google earth plane graveyard
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:18:52 AM »
"GoogleEarth_Placemark" lat=32.1694728017, lon=-110.847465527

Military plane graveyard SE of Tucson
I cant attach the link but it seems that you can copy the Lat and Lon into the find box in google earth it should work..

TJ

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 06:29:40 PM »
The term that worked for the search was:

32.1694728017 N, 110.847465527 W
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »
Played golf at a course in Tucson right next to it lol.  Planes everywhere.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:22:28 PM »
I'm in the DMAFB RV camp about 200 yards from the boneyard. Look for the white Rv with the big white Volvo in front
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:10:08 PM »
I wonder what the group of large bunkers are to the south east of the graveyard are?

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
I'm in the DMAFB RV camp about 200 yards from the boneyard. Look for the white Rv with the big white Volvo in front

Is that the one with what look like appliances sitting next to the four cars up on blocks by the front porch :)  

TJ

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
are there even fences protecting that stuff? looks like it is wide open to the desert
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »
reading about that place (i had heard of it, but never more than a simple "here's a bunch of planes") is interesting.

it is sad to hear about the planes being chopped up to show the russian satelites we "decomissioned" them. :(

there's a lot of interesting information about there.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:04:59 AM »
There was a segment on the History Channel a couple weeks ago about AMARC.  They showed the guillotine in action for the SALT treaty stuff as well as the hydraulic shears used for general disassembly.  Mentioned the different levels of storage - from store for quick turnaround and reactivate to store for destruction I think it was.  They also mentioned how the place is a great resource for spare parts - planes that are still flying and don't have spare parts anymore can be kept in service via parts gathered there.  Then there was the SLEP program for the A-10.  The AMARC website has some photos of the site.  Looks like they got a lot of F-4's from those pictures.  

http://www.dm.af.mil/AMARC/

Sounds like a neat place to work.  If Pearl ever gets hit bad by a BRAC...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:19:23 AM »
Originally posted by T0J0
Is that the one with what look like appliances sitting next to the four cars up on blocks by the front porch :)  

TJ

Nah that's the Russian attache's place. That's where he lives to inspect the decommissioning. In between bottle of vodka anyhow.

Oh BTW  :p

Mustaine.

Yes they have a chain link fence around the boneyard. Keep in mind that this is a VERY large place and there are sections of aircraft dedicated to long term, short term storage as well as parts (they don't make B52's anymore) and places where folks can buy airframes and sections. Of course you can't just walk in off of the street to do that but they do have a thriving salvage operation.

There are aircraft ranging from A-10's to C5's as well as some B52's and even a few old OA37's. I saw what looked some old Cessna birdogs in one corner. Since I am on base I can drive around part of the outside of the yard and see different birds.
+
If anyone comes to Tucson I HIGHLY recommend the Pima Air and Space Museum. TONS of birds on display in and outside. You can touch as well. They also have the permit to run tours through the boneyard so you can get a up close look at some old warriors ready to come back if recalled.  Some of the docents in the Museum are also retirees that flew in some of the birds they have on display. I met one who told me about the time the Japanese gave him a small irregularly shaped window in the radio compartment of the B29 he was in at the time. He wasn't very appreciative of it just then. He said he plugged it with a glove.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 05:16:02 PM »
Try to locate Duxford.
Good view there ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)