Author Topic: carnivore  (Read 353 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
carnivore
« on: September 30, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
http://www9.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/03/12/carnivore.concerns.idg/

Guess I better get use to boxed sims.  They will never understand about those sheep :)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
carnivore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
sounds alot like having the post office open and reead everyones mail as it passes through

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
carnivore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2001, 03:45:00 PM »
The inter agency sharing, they have been talking about, is what worries me. Anyone who remembers the Nixon enemies list can see how this can be misused.  The politicians will never be able to resist.  Joking aside I'm not going to pay for the privilege of being spyed upon.

I thought the founding fathers made that security for freedom swap a long time ago.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
carnivore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Dudes, Carnivore has been used for other purposes too, including spying on European companies and citizens.

Packet spoofing goes a long way for dealing with this thingy though  :). Send those FBI guys out on a very wild goose chase  :D.

I take my privacy seriously. While I know encryption isn't particularly safe, the raw mass of encrypted packets sent over the net makes it impossible for them to decode all - and they cannot just palin read 'um like the rest.

One of the aspects of the tragedy of the 11th is the long term consequences - it invites the govts of the wolrd to become even more intrusive and might give them the ammo they need to breach the privacy of individuals - essentially saying "guilty until proven otherwise" from an infomation POV.

Scary.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
carnivore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »