Author Topic: Hey Christmas...Where's The Enemy?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Hey Christmas...Where's The Enemy?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 10:20:15 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Don't force me to start quoting 13,420 posts! ;)

Quote away, but don't believe that you can draw accurate inferences.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 11:14:44 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Quote away, but don't believe that you can draw accurate inferences.
SO you've been lying all this time?:confused:

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 11:21:23 AM »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 11:31:53 AM »
I think the real point of all this is that the Conservative movement in America cannot exist without an enemy. Unless there is some grave threat to our very existance they got nothing. On one hand they are all for getting the government out of our lives, but all for getting the church of the majority into our lives. Like it or not.

But here is the thing.... no one is forcing you to be a muslim, no one is forcing you to be an atheist. No one can force Target or Walmart to stop saying Merry Christmas or Happy St. Visson's day or whatever. The only "attack on Christmas" is in the propaganda of the conservative movement.

You all enjoy your straw man ... set him up, knock him down... repeat as needed until it sounds like the truth.

:aok

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:21:11 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 11:53:02 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
But here is the thing.... no one is forcing you to be a muslim, no one is forcing you to be an atheist. No one can force Target or Walmart to stop saying Merry Christmas or Happy St. Visson's day or whatever. The only "attack on Christmas" is in the propaganda of the conservative movement.

:aok

It has nothing to do with conservatives, in my opinion. It's just that being "PC aware" has caused business to re-evaluate a lot of things. It's not really even political correctness......I'd say it's more that businesses are just trying to appeal to the people they think are the majority of their customer base. No big deal to me.

I'm not bothered by stores not mentioning Christmas or any other holiday. Then can and will do what they think is in their best interest. If enough people complain any of their policies, they usually adapt to that too.

I don't agree that the conservative movement could not exist without an enemy. What you are seeing in this "attack on Christmas" is not really political, I don't believe.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
Straw man?  How about real people out there doing real things to squish traditions and culture?
Most of this is never reported at a national level. One quick google search with key words will find many stories that you've not seen.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1005/LIFESTYLE

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...?p1=MEWell_Pos3

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/a...RTICLE_ID=29942

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Article...cle.asp?ID=3837

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/a...RTICLE_ID=35544

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loc...4p-145167c.html

You just posted 6 links that either go nowhere or say nothing..

What are you gonna do now?

Go to Disneyland!!!!

Happy Holidays

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 12:21:32 PM »
Fixed.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 12:23:33 PM »
I think the real point of all this is that the Conservative movement in America cannot exist without an enemy.

Replace "Conservative" with "Liberal", "Progressive", "Fascist", or any other political term labeling a political philisophy for more equally true statements.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 01:10:23 PM »
"movement" would have to have something to move for/to or against/from so this would apply to any group.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 01:35:06 PM »
SO you've been lying all this time?:confused:

Think about it.
sand

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »
Hi MT,

I think the real point of all this is that the Conservative movement in America cannot exist without an enemy. Unless there is some grave threat to our very existance they got nothing. On one hand they are all for getting the government out of our lives, but all for getting the church of the majority into our lives. Like it or not.

You all enjoy your straw man ... set him up, knock him down... repeat as needed until it sounds like the truth.

I'm hardly one to go around screaming about the elimination of Christmas from the public square, but I would put it to you that there is an undeniable spiritual dimension to all of this.

Take note of the article above on Ramadan being taught in public schools in Virginia (this mirrors recent teaching initiatives in states throughout the nation to introduce teaching on the fundamentals of Islam) and let me ask, why is it acceptable to teach about Islam in public schools, but even the most peripheral mention of Christianity has to be expunged? Apparently even the tunes to Christmas carols are unconstitutional, but bringing in the Council on Islamic Education (another Saudi Funded group btw) to teach Islam using their own workbooks is to be encouraged? MT, surely you can see a hopeless double standard in this approach. How else could you explain it except that - institutionally speaking - one religion is despised and the others are honored?

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2005, 05:09:07 PM »
If Islam were being taught instead of be 'taught about' I would agree. I see nothing wrong with teaching children the history and significance to a particular religion of Easter, or Ramadan or Chanuka or whatever.

The problem arises when religion becomes the message instead of a subject of study.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2005, 06:12:07 PM »
You just posted 6 links that either go nowhere or say nothing..

Odd. Every one of those links works perfectly for me
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 06:25:10 PM »
If Islam were being taught instead of be 'taught about' I would agree. I see nothing wrong with teaching children the history and significance to a particular religion of Easter, or Ramadan or Chanuka or whatever.

The problem arises when religion becomes the message instead of a subject of study.

but I don't see a growing trend of where religion is the message instead of a subject.  I see ALOT of minor things that MIGHT reference religion were a FEW people have nothing better to do and complain.