Author Topic: Credit for kills  (Read 817 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Credit for kills
« on: November 17, 2005, 07:48:02 PM »
This post is in reply to my other post on credit for landings on airfields.  Sorry I dont know why it didnt show up along with other replies.

I believe the challenge in Aces High is to stay alive at all costs as it is in "real life."  Now dont get me wrong, I am not one of those guys who likes to whine about how the "games flight model is not exact" or anything of the sort.  It actually annoys me to some degree unless there is a common sense reasoning behind it.  

I think its just a silly nuisance to have to be on pavement, besides being "unrealistic."  I do think Hitech should be doing everything in its power to make AH the "most realistic" simulation out there.  When I look at what else is out there Im proud to say I think that its the gold standard.

I also think that what ever "realistic" challenges that can be added to the game should be.  As long as game play is not sacrificed to the point that people leave the game.  But Ill say it again, landing on pavement is ridiculous.

I think a penalty of score and or perks should be conceded if ditched in enemy territory, a smaller penalty if some distance from base, maybe a smaller yet if in a city or non-airfield, but little to none if at an airfield.

Heck when it comes down to it, to make it REALLY interesting, Hitech should allow downed pilots to hitch rides from GVs or aircraft that were historically able to handle a passenger.  I believe its even been done with some single seat fighters.  That way a pilot can make his way back to base and collect more of his score or perks.  Effectively keeping some guys out of commission a little bit longer and making for some cool escape and evasion stories.

I think you would see a lot more people bailing out to save their skin, as it should be.  Obviously we should penalize chute killers too  :).  I think the game would take on a interesting new dimension because guys might work a little harder to stay alive knowing that they dont lose everything by bailing or ditching.  This could translate into less "do or die" mentality in the game.

One last thing guys.  If your going to agree, dont wu$$ out on me and concede to the 20 extra feet of runway.  GEEZUS You just showed Hitech how uncommitted we are.  You should be going out to the masses and starting a MOVEMENT.  NOT your bowels you shmucks.  :furious
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:52:04 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
Staying alive at all costs is easy.  You just don't take off and you are ensured survival.

If you absolutely must take off then fly in uncontested areas and never approach an enemy base.

Piece of cake.

Why you think this was the way it was in reality is a bit beyond me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Credit for kills
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 02:57:39 AM »
Although landing on pavement is sometimes annoying  (ive ran out of fuel and landed in the grass with a perfect plane and kills    metres from the runway several times)      This is my fault for not keeping an eye on my fuel gauge.

iF GVS and planes could just land anywhere in friendly and hit tower to record kills a big chunk of gameplay is removed.

For example you fly your fighter into enemy territory and all the enemy run and land all the gvs  hit tower in the grass when they hear bombs coming all of a sudden you have no-one to kill.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ace31st

• Copper Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:13:28 AM »
Are you one of those 2 week trial people??

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:51:45 PM »
Karnak, you must be easily confused!

Bruv, Im not suggesting being able to land kills anywhere in the freakin map.

and ace, you can find out anytime you see me on!
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:16:51 PM »
Originally posted by muzik
and ace, you can find out anytime you see me on!

I like this line:D That's telling it how it is!

While I don't agree with your staying alive part muzik, I can respect it. Some fly for that reason, and some don't. I think what you're asking for will not adversley effect anyone or how they fly so I'm all for it. It always got to me that you can have 1 wheel off the pavement and not get a succesful landing. I was also told once that bringing your battered plane back onto the pavement gave it an extra challenge. I find when I do choose to return my beat up bird back to base, just gettin home is enough challenge and then swirving off the runway a little just seems like a punishment.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:11:51 PM »
Exactly superdud!  Thats my point! Stayin alive by gettin the damaged bird back ISthe challenge.  And EVEN ditching it before someone who has chased you back to base just to try and vulch you on the ground is a BLAST.  When you make it of course.  Landing it on a paved section is a silly hassle.

Offline sgtdeaux

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:33:36 PM »
yes and no.

having to be on the concrete is fairly excessive.. the plane is recoverable anywhere on the base.

however...

I'm sure im not the only person here who has gotten a thrill out of landing a badly damaged airplane and trying to put her on the numbers fighting the damaged control surfaces ect..

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 12:13:50 AM »
I would have to agree with this post. You have to figure that almost all planes in WWII were able to take off and land on grass and dirt. Most airfields were nothing more than grass and dirt. I think if the plane is on the ground within the perimiter of an airfield no matter where it is on the field it should count as a landing. I know I've lost several kills because a wheel was off the pavement.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline ace31st

• Copper Member
Re: Credit for kills
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 05:44:46 AM »
Originally posted by muzik
This post is in reply to my other post on credit for landings on airfields.  Sorry I dont know why it didnt show up along with other replies.

I believe the challenge in Aces High is to stay alive at all costs as it is in "real life."  Now dont get me wrong, I am not one of those guys who likes to whine about how the "games flight model is not exact" or anything of the sort.  It actually annoys me to some degree unless there is a common sense reasoning behind it.  

I think its just a silly nuisance to have to be on pavement, besides being "unrealistic."  I do think Hitech should be doing everything in its power to make AH the "most realistic" simulation out there.  When I look at what else is out there Im proud to say I think that its the gold standard.

I also think that what ever "realistic" challenges that can be added to the game should be.  As long as game play is not sacrificed to the point that people leave the game.  But Ill say it again, landing on pavement is ridiculous.

I think a penalty of score and or perks should be conceded if ditched in enemy territory, a smaller penalty if some distance from base, maybe a smaller yet if in a city or non-airfield, but little to none if at an airfield.

Heck when it comes down to it, to make it REALLY interesting, Hitech should allow downed pilots to hitch rides from GVs or aircraft that were historically able to handle a passenger.  I believe its even been done with some single seat fighters.  That way a pilot can make his way back to base and collect more of his score or perks.  Effectively keeping some guys out of commission a little bit longer and making for some cool escape and evasion stories.

I think you would see a lot more people bailing out to save their skin, as it should be.  Obviously we should penalize chute killers too  :).  I think the game would take on a interesting new dimension because guys might work a little harder to stay alive knowing that they dont lose everything by bailing or ditching.  This could translate into less "do or die" mentality in the game.

One last thing guys.  If your going to agree, dont wu$$ out on me and concede to the 20 extra feet of runway.  GEEZUS You just showed Hitech how uncommitted we are.  You should be going out to the masses and starting a MOVEMENT.  NOT your bowels you shmucks.  :furious

Ya know, you got me thinking here. I've wondered numerous times why you can't hitch a ride with a gv if your downed, but just in a joking nature cause I was mad I got shot down. As much as I would like for that "realism"
to be put into AH, it's not gonna happen because I think it would take to much time and energy to do the nit-picky stuff like that.

Just my 2 cents.

~DJ

Offline KD303

• Copper Member
Credit for kills
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »
What does seem a bit silly to me is that you can come into land, make a complete pig's anus of it, flip over a couple of times, smashing your plane to bits and, as long as your smashed up bit of scrap is on the concrete, you get a "successful Landing", hah! Also, ditching means to land on water, not grass. Why not have something relating to whether or not your gear is up when you land? Gear down and plane not written off- successful landing. Gear up - crash landing.

KD

Offline Gato

• Copper Member
      • http://catzman.blogspot.com
Credit for kills
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 05:01:48 PM »
I too think the "all on pavement" rule is a bit much.  I don't think anyone who has been flying for any time hasn't lost out on "landed Kills" because of this.  But the gear Up or down is not real either.  In WWII, if you came back alive, it was good, you got the credit for the kills.