Author Topic: it would be nice if B-52 fleets have this...  (Read 726 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
it would be nice if B-52 fleets have this...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
what the US really needs is unmanned drones with the capity to target one guy at a time... Think of all the time predators find a target but can't hit it or needs to waste a hellfire on it.  Something like a laser guided 40mm grenade would do the trick...

Look up NCLOS.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
Look up NCLOS.

or UCAV.

The B52H will be in service till at least 2040.  Currently we are testing it's "Mid-life" upgrade.  All new avionics, new guidence, radar, ect.  All the stuff being put into it is not new, it's all off the shelf technology so it's just a matter of integrating it together and within the airframe.  

as far as new bombers go we won't need one for at least 20 years.  I highly doubt it will actually have a person flying it.  Who knows maybe by then we'll just use satilites and airborn lasers.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 06:56:11 PM »
B52 is still sound until 2040?  Thats 90 years service lol.  Man we need serious competetion!:p

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 07:01:57 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
B52 is still sound until 2040?  Thats 90 years service lol.  Man we need serious competetion!:p

Talk about a return on investment.  Hopfully they don't chop up all the ones in the bone yard either.  Those are great for referbing and getting spare parts from.  All the design and testing is allready done on the airframe and it's solid.

The youngest one made was manufactured in 1964.  They're allready 40 years old and still going strong putting bombs on target.  Recently they used one to hit a moving ship.  Great bomber if you ask me.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 08:12:16 PM »
DC-3's are 60 years old and they'll go till AVGAS is no more. And even then, they'll just get re-engined with Pratt PT6 turboprops. There's enough spares for the old radials for another 50 years, and most of the stuff that isn't around can be refab'd.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 09:29:46 PM »
Howdy RPM,

Originally posted by rpm
Because Boeing can't make billions that way.

Actually they could.

The development of the new bomber would cost at least several hundred million (a billion is more realistic). Each 777-300ER costs about 239.5 million each, so to make a comparable bomber would probable involve at least 100 Million extra in military avionics (and thats being conservative) so we are talking about a 350 million dollar plane.

But considering that each B2 stealth costs $2.2 Billion each we are still talking about a much more cost effective platform.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »
why do all that when they can just take some old 777s and refurnish them into bomber versions of the 777

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 09:51:49 PM »
Didn't find anything under NCLOS  butI don't think the UCAV is intended for single persons as targets.  What the US needs is a predator or smaller sized unit that can be deployed on the battalion level thats capable or scouting the battle area and hitting individuals.  The US has small scouts and larger limited strike craft like the predator

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 10:25:16 PM »
Didn't find anything under NCLOS  butI don't think the UCAV is intended for single persons as targets.  What the US needs is a predator or smaller sized unit that can be deployed on the battalion level thats capable or scouting the battle area and hitting individuals.  The US has small scouts and larger limited strike craft like the predator

They have that now.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 01:03:01 AM »
I screwed up the acronym: NLOS-LS. is a difficult way to write 'missiles in a box'. Non-Line-Of-Sight-Launch-System.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: it would be nice if B-52 fleets have this...
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 08:38:17 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
New engine :)

Pratt Whitney PW4000-112

Engine Characteristics

Fan tip diameter: 112 in
Length, flange to flange: 191.7 in
Takeoff thrust: 74,000 - 98,000 lb
Flat rated temperature: 86° F
Bypass ratio: 5.8 to 6.4
Overall pressure ratio: 34.2 - 42.8
Fan pressure ratio: 1.70 - 1.80

btw this engine will power boing 777s and airbus 300s

....and to think Beetle is crying due to OVERWHELMING CO2 emissions from these.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 09:55:45 AM »
Originally posted by Wolfala
I screwed up the acronym: NLOS-LS. is a difficult way to write 'missiles in a box'. Non-Line-Of-Sight-Launch-System.

Nice toys but not really waht i was saying.. It's a strike missle system.  It does not loiter over the target area and pick off point targets of opportunity.  Guns, what do we have now that does the trick?  The closest thing I know is the predator with Hellfire but thats not very efficient.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »
It's highly efficient.  Just not cost effective ;)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
Thats what I'm saying it's not cost effective for area denial and close support opperations on a larger scale.   Whats needed is something along the lines of a powered glider with point target type munitions like a 40mm grenade or 50 cal that can be deployed at the battalion or even company level.  I would think a guided munition that can target one person at a time would be great in many of these insurgent battles and for guarding roadways.  I don't think the US has this yet.  There are mini birds with cameras and the predator with hellfire but nothing bridging the gap that I know of.  Is there anything?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 01:39:38 PM »
Thats what I'm saying it's not cost effective for area denial and close support opperations on a larger scale.   Whats needed is something along the lines of a powered glider with point target type munitions like a 40mm grenade or 50 cal that can be deployed at the battalion or even company level.  I would think a guided munition that can target one person at a time would be great in many of these insurgent battles and for guarding roadways.  I don't think the US has this yet.  There are mini birds with cameras and the predator with hellfire but nothing bridging the gap that I know of.  Is there anything?

Efficiency aside a 52 is excellent at close air support.  They stay on station with all sorts of ord. for whatever they may encounter.  Somone calls in for help and they can have bombs on target VERY accuratly within no time.  

There's nothing other than small spy craft that are done at the batalion level (but those have been VERY effective in Iraq)  I know the UCAV is being designed to be autonomous and to identify targets on it's own.  I saw a good show on discovery about other UAVs that are being designed to stay on station and be re-reouted at a moments notice to provide combat air support.  I truely think that the JSF is the last manned combat aircraft that the US will develop.