Author Topic: Gunnery and Film viewer (Tracers)?  (Read 474 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Gunnery and Film viewer (Tracers)?
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:31:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was extremely frustrated during squad night last  night.  I could not hit the broad side of a barn!  (usually I can hit the barn...LOL).

My problem is that I will saddle up on a guy and be anywhere from 200-400 off of his 6 and cant land a single hit!!!!!

Am I the only one having this problem????

With that being said...I do not like flying with tracers...call it the "surprise factor" or I like being able to judge my lead/aiming with them off.  A great pilot suggested I do this and my aim improved DRAMATICALLY!!!!!

I tried another suggestion from folks I have dogged with.....USE THE FILMS!!!!

Well I did that....but do I need to have my tracers ON in the game when I make the film so they show on the screen when viewing?

Any other tips for analyzing what is going on?????

I am at a real loss on this one....ANY helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Mike:)

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:02:29 PM »
I can hit with 6 shots but i wait for a deflection or snap.. Very hard for me to hit while on 6.

S!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:15:11 PM »
Ok, first off, for tracers to show in the film viewer, they have to be on ingame at the time the film is recorded.

Actually, my 'felt' gunnery worsened wiht the 'code smoothing' patch. But checking my hit% on score page, theres not really much of a drop in performance.

Did you change your 'usual ride' lately? shooting guns youre not used to? Im not only talking about the difference between MG and cannon, but also for example between N1K and Hurri2C. They both have quad 20mm, but the ballistics are *much* different. Since youre flying with tracers off, youre relying on your 'gunner eye' for aim, thats basically a good thing, but a change of ballistics would throw you off bigtime. (Im speaking from sad experience here ;))

Then it also might be a convergence question. Do you have conv at the usual 'target distance'?

Connect problems? Netstatus smooth while playing? Ping details on startup sceen OK? Packet losses?

Another suggestion i got: Try swiching tracers back on for a while.... see what happens. (I have to admit, when i followed that advice my hit% dropped from a solid 8-9 down to 1-2, so im tracer-off for good - but that doesnt mean it cant work for you).

Last but not least: Go offline, kill yourself some drones - from all angles imaginable. Might be boring, but certainly is good practice. Fly the circle clockwise (opposite of drones) to practice deflection shooting.

Im not an ace gunnery wise, but i hope that helps you a bit.

Schatzi

PS: And no, youre not the only one that cant hit a red icon from d200 ;).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »
Sometimes it seems like I can't hit anything myself even though I check netstat and all looks OK. Often I may get the feeling something just isn't quite right.
At those times I go ahead and relog just to start fresh again. If the computer has been on awhile I'll even reboot to make sure especially if I've been playing and Aces High has been running for a few hours.
Example- earlier today I was in a nasty defense of A47 I think it was and I was in a PT boat. I had that not right feeling and I even noticed my mgs weren't even leaving splashes in the water right by my PT when I fired them. Funny things like that definately make me relog/rebbot if I see them. I'm not sure what the cause is but I feel better reloging/rebooting. Not sure if it helps the gunnery but usually after that I can at least see my bullets make a splash if I shoot at the water.
Even if netstat looks good, times like these I usually run a pingplot to see whats happening between here and there.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »
Good points all!!!!

Schatzi....I was flying a different plane than usual....for pure fighter junk I like the "green sherbet" LA-5....My other fav is the FW190 A5.  Can do fairly well in both. (at least to my standards).

I swapped to the NIKI for our squad night and couldnt hit a thing...kept convergence at 400.

I got so frustrated I went back to the LA5 of justice and did not much better.

I logged vowing never to return!!!!

--------------

Today I got up and took up the trusty LA5 and was still not having  much luck so I turned the tracers on.  YUCKOLA......I did some filming and will review them shortly.  Will also try the drone plink fest and see how that goes.....

-------------

Fuze....good point will relog next time to see if that helps.

-------------

I dunno but the new patch has done something that I havent figured out...I think that the 50cals are neutered it seems to me.  The cannon rounds are more effective by far.  And I am not sure what the CODE SMOOTHING does but it seems after this patch nothing is going right.

Practice I will!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help!

MIKE:aok

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 12:03:29 AM »
Originally posted by guttboy
Good points all!!!!

Schatzi....I was flying a different plane than usual....for pure fighter junk I like the "green sherbet" LA-5....My other fav is the FW190 A5.  Can do fairly well in both. (at least to my standards).

I swapped to the NIKI for our squad night and couldnt hit a thing...kept convergence at 400.

I got so frustrated I went back to the LA5 of justice and did not much better.

I logged vowing never to return!!!!

--------------

Today I got up and took up the trusty LA5 and was still not having  much luck so I turned the tracers on.  YUCKOLA......I did some filming and will review them shortly.  Will also try the drone plink fest and see how that goes.....

-------------

Fuze....good point will relog next time to see if that helps.

-------------

I dunno but the new patch has done something that I havent figured out...I think that the 50cals are neutered it seems to me.  The cannon rounds are more effective by far.  And I am not sure what the CODE SMOOTHING does but it seems after this patch nothing is going right.

Practice I will!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help!

MIKE:aok

Sun set?:D

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 03:03:59 AM »
make sure you have vsync on.

Also i have my convergence set to 150 and seldomly shoot further than 200 out except if i ll rtb shortly and cant get closer (bombers).

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:18:05 PM »
sun set?????

I do have Vsync on.....

Reviewing the films helped out quite a bit.....

Wish there were an option of viewing with tracers off so that you could toggle them on though.

Thanks for the tip on attacking the drones in reverse direction!!!!

Regards

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 12:41:12 AM »
I have noticed this tour that some days I can blow planes up with the lowest percentage shots imaginable & yet on an easy d200 slight deflection shot I can't get a hit. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  
  Like Fuze said it's like something just doesn't feel right sometimes.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME