Author Topic: Mo. Reservoir Breach Washes Away Homes, Cars  (Read 467 times)

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
Mo. Reservoir Breach Washes Away Homes, Cars
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 06:59:53 PM »
I know this area well. I have camped and floated the rivers for many years there. The damage was in a small area, but some of the best places were damaged badly.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/0A4A827BA5C98DB2862570D7004F9A49?OpenDocument

The Taum Sauk Hydroelectric Plant consists of a 50-acre lake built atop Proffit Mountain that is connected by a mile-long tunnel to a 300-acre lake at the base of the hill. The upper lake is about 700 feet higher in elevation than the lower one. AmerenUE drains the upper reservoir through generating turbines during times of peak electrical demand, then pumps the water back uphill when demand for electricity is lower.

The Proffit Mountain upper reservoir, at 1,590 feet in elevation, is just west of Taum Sauk Mountain, the highest point in Missouri.

Reservoir, generator built in 1963

Union Electric Co., forerunner to AmerenUE, built the system to great fanfare in 1963, mainly to meet the rapidly increasing popularity of air-conditioning in homes and buildings.

The upper reservoir was built by digging 10 feet into the mountaintop and then ringing the bowl with a crush-rock berm, or thick wall, that is about 80 feet tall. When filled, holds 1.5 billion gallons at a maximum depth of about 90 feet.

The interior, or bowl, of the reservoir is lined with asphalt on the bottom and concrete along the rock berm. Rainwater said the company installed a plastic liner to the interior two years ago to stop minor leaks. He said the rock berm never had been breached before.

But when it did, water cascaded about a mile down the western slope of the mountain and into the east fork of the Black River, about a quarter mile upstream from the Shut-Ins campground.

The flood then roared through the park and downstream about two miles into AmerenUE’s lower reservoir. Rainwater said the flow topped the lower reservoir’s dam by only one foot, which he called manageable. The Black continues flowing southward toward Lesterville.

Flooding could have been much worse

Reservoir emptied in about 12 minutes

The Shut-Ins is on the east fork of the Black River, about a mile downhill from the AmerenUE upper reservoir. The Shut-Ins is a series of rock formations through which the east fork bubbles and cascades. It is a popular swimming attraction, especially for young people, during the summer months.

Rainwater of AmerenUE told reporters that a monitor at the company’s station at the Lake of the Ozarks, where the company generates electricity through Bagnell Dam, indicated that the upper reservoir had been refilled by 5:12 a.m., but had fallen back to low level by 5:24 a.m.

“It had emptied in about 12 minutes,” he said during a news conference at company headquarters near downtown. “We don’t know what could have caused it.”

The breach in the northwestern wall dropped the water level in the upper reservoir by about 70 feet, he said.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission last inspected the Taum Sauk upper and lower reservoirs on Aug. 25 and found "the project was properly maintained and operating consistent with the license," said J. Mark Robinson, director of the agency's office of energy projects.

Inspectors review the structures, observing the concrete and looking for any cracking or seepage.

The Taum Sauk dams are considered "high-hazard potential" structures because their failure could lead to loss of life or property.

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 07:06:34 PM »
"The Lesterville area and areas south along the Black River are in extreme peril," said Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Marty Elmore. "We need to make every effort to have folks get to higher ground."

As with anything near a manmade object being used to try and control a natural resource.

From the beginning it is doomed to eventually fail.
Oh they may work well for a while. perhaps even a long while.
But in the end nature always always always wins.

After all. Time is on its side

:cool:
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
!#@$!@#$ Boosh

:rofl :cry :rofl :cry :rofl :cry :rofl :cry

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 04:24:57 AM »
!#@$!@#$ Boosh

When I started playing AH and reading this forum, funked was one of the best contributors here. Now the only time you see him writing something it's this crap.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 04:32:35 AM »
I personally blame the Boosh energy policy and slow FEMA response.  Boosh lied, homes and cars died.

I have to admit that this was a funny one.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 09:20:45 AM »
Seems like it will take a while to patch.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 10:04:09 AM »
Originally posted by mora
When I started playing AH and reading this forum, funked was one of the best contributors here. Now the only time you see him writing something it's this crap.

It was sarcasm.
sand

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 10:43:12 AM »
I do realize that. It just gets old when you repeat it 1000 times. You got to know when to stop, it just haven't been funny for a year or so..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:46:19 AM by mora »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 01:39:31 PM »
Mora, the thing is, when I say that stuff, the MSM usually DO end up blaming Boosh a few days later.   I think you would get it more if you were over here and had to listen to all the partisan fingerpointing in our media.

And BTW I did explain the operating principle of the reservoir in question, I think that counts as a contribution.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 01:41:57 PM by FUNKED1 »

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 01:59:55 PM »
Sometime a thing is funny the 1st time, less funny the 2nd, less and less...but after a couple dozen, hillarious again.
WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 02:05:11 PM »
Where's Farakhan and his eyewitnesses???  Or was it only white folks that lived in the demolished homes?

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 03:25:58 PM »
Mora, the thing is, when I say that stuff, the MSM usually DO end up blaming Boosh a few days later.   I think you would get it more if you were over here and had to listen to all the partisan fingerpointing in our media.

And BTW I did explain the operating principle of the reservoir in question, I think that counts as a contribution.

I didn't actually get that impression while over there, but I mostly watched Fox though. And sorry, I somehow missed your contribution.