Author Topic: It's official...  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
It's official...
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2005, 08:12:38 PM »
WW2 aircraft were, in comparison of a modern day Cessna, very heavy and with incredible power.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
It's official...
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2005, 08:45:23 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
OK ... I think I have things set up on the Wiki and all the cool plug-ins loaded (incl. one for entering all these fizzicks equations you guys love).

Hi Dok,

Just noticed on that page it says about "combat flight sims" that "It all started in 1987 with a game called “Air Warrior.”" and that isn't strictly true in general terms. There were combat flight sim’s since at least 1980 and more than 25 different combat flight sim’s came out before AW. If memory serves, I don't think it was even the first to allow players to compete against each other online, because I seem to recall getting my first modem to modem dogfight around 1985. I think AW was the first "multiplayer" combat flight sim’, though.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
It's official...
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »
Haha, beat you by a year. Had my first H2H fight in 1984!
2 Spectrums!!!!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline HoHun

• Gold Member
It's official...
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2006, 08:16:45 AM »
Hi Badboy,

>If memory serves, I don't think it was even the first to allow players to compete against each other online, because I seem to recall getting my first modem to modem dogfight around 1985.

The first two-player combat flight simulation I remember was "Top Gun", featuring  a single-computer vertically split screen display. It came out for the Sinclair Spectrum and the C-64 (at least), and might have been a 1983 or '84 game :-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
It's official...
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2006, 09:14:16 AM »
I tried that one.
I flew the "Delta Wing" through 2 Spectrum computers via the RS232 modem.
Since in was prone to crashing, and tapeloading took 5 minutes, I hacked the program and saved onto a microdrive disc which both had.
It was a wee tricky, for the program was max size, meaning that you couldn't even mess with the display file.
Got through that one by using the lowest part of the display file for data, - it was the only part of the screen that was changed.
The program featured an all around cockpit view, and even the pilot's feet moved!!

Edit: on Microdrive, the program loaded and started in 13 seconds.

Did the same to "The Hobbit" BTW ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 09:23:14 AM by Angus »

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
It's official...
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2006, 10:51:50 AM »
Yeah ... I meant "multiplayer" ... there were several flight sim games on the Mac in the mid-80's as well, some weren't bad, all things considered.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
It's official...
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2006, 06:12:44 PM »
Mac was late 80's, - before it was the C64 and the awesome AMIGA

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
It's official...
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Mac was late 80's, - before it was the C64 and the awesome AMIGA

Mac's started in '84 as I recall.

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
It's official...
« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
I was playing AW with Amiga500 and a 1200 b serial modem. January 1993.
AW could not  Amigas Joystick so i was flying with mouse, and i had kills with it.

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
It's official...
« Reply #279 on: January 02, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
ooops, i forget.....AMIGA NEVER DIES

when you pc suckers had only black and white letters, We Amiga Kings had
four windows open at the same time in interlaced color ,hehe :))

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
It's official...
« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2006, 02:39:34 PM »
I still have my Amiga 500 with the 40 Meg hardrive that plugs in the side. I even ran it a few months ago.:aok

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs