Author Topic: what you guys think??  (Read 375 times)

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« on: December 23, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »
what d'ya think? still a work in progress, and all hints/tips, suggestions would be appreciated

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »
Shadows are too large for their placement.

Looks pretty good :aok

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:36:23 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Shadows are too large for their placement.

Looks pretty good :aok

ty golfer. yeah, its been kinda hard to do, because the shadows kinda made the perspective weird if they were any smaller. ty for the suggestion though. gonna do some better ones tonight

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
what you guys think??
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 04:41:11 PM »
Suggest you set up the planes so that the shadows don't need to be there. The biggest problem with them is that they don't "wrap around" the terrain features. Gives the whole picture a 2D look.

Additionally, don't just clone the 3 plane formations.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 05:25:58 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Additionally, don't just clone the 3 plane formations.

i didn't, take a closer look. i guess that i see it easily because i made it tho. i only had two planes in the original picture, so had to use them only, but each formation was made individually

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
what you guys think??
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:36:26 PM »
If you are gonna leave the shadows in, blur them more. They look too crisp compared to the rest of the image.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 05:37:01 PM »
You might want to add some blurring to the shadows as well, they are too sharp now (IMHO). If you take a picture with a camera focusing on a foreground object, the background objects should be blurry if the camera is any good (basic photography, depth of field / aperture).
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
You might want to add some blurring to the shadows as well, they are too sharp now (IMHO). If you take a picture with a camera focusing on a foreground object, the background objects should be blurry if the camera is any good (basic photography, depth of field / aperture).

yeah, but there was a problem with blurring them anymore than they are now, because they'd start to disappear. that was my first attempts at image doctoring, check out the films and screenshot section to see some more of the pics i got/played about with

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 06:45:31 PM »
a quick go at some nice screenies:

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 06:49:39 PM »
The spit formation pic would look alot better with a four plane formation.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
what you guys think??
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 06:57:38 PM »
There's a technique in photoshop where you could apply the texture of the terrain under the shadow to the shadow so as the shadow wouldn't look painted on. Its a little involved but pretty convincing. It uses "apply image". Basically you duplicate your image, blur it (2 pixels or so) subtract it from the original image (offset +127) and that should give you a texture or relief image. You then take the blurry image - make a new layer paint your shadows on that new layer and then blur them (about 2 pixels). Merge down and apply the blurry image to the relief image (offset -127) add. viola - textured shadows.

oh and foremost- the  cast shadows of the planes don't match the  cast shadows of the trees.  For it to work, its going to have to look like the light source is the same.

as nobaddy said , you don't need the shadows. given the angle light and its diffusion, you wouldn't see the shadows in the picture except maybe at the very bottom.

Oh and yet another edit- GE is on the board now - he cand give you tons of advice. He's an extemely talented illustrator.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:51:44 PM by BTW »