Author Topic: The Art of the Set-up  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« on: December 24, 2005, 03:34:56 PM »
One thing that I've noticed thoughout the years is people tend to approach a fight with a stubborn single-mindedness. This is not necessarily a bad thing in a restricted engagement. But, in a complex multi-plane engagement, where flexiblilty and adapatability is key, it can be a serious hindrance and a potential source of great frustration. In a complex engagement, unlike a 1 vs 1, even when engaged you must maintain a 'reserve' of SA for your immediate surroundings, you must be vigilant and aware of what all the other planes in your immediate vicinity are doing, friend and foe alike. If need be you must be willing to disengage your current target and engage another target of opportunity. In situations where you yourself are engaged while pre-occupied you must know how to help others help you. This is what I will discuss here, the set-up, or how to help others help you, in other words wingman tactics and teamwork. I write this especially for the newer players, or for those new to fightering. Good set-ups will use those flying near you who are much more experienced than you to help you live longer, which in turn allows you to enjoy more proctracted fights and learn alot more quickly.

For the set-up to work there are some basic requirements. I will list them briefly here:

1) You must have the SA to be aware of the bandit before it's too late.

2) You must have at your disposal friendlies who have the SA to recognize a set-up.

3) Those friendlies must be opportunistic enough to take advantage of that knowledge.

4) Your set-up of the bandit must be done subtley so as to conceal the fact from the bandit that he is being set-up at all.

5) You must have the tactical awareness to know what to do in different situations, some set-ups only work in certain circumstances.

Here are the three most common set-ups and how to properly execute and exploit them. A big part of setting bandits up for teammates is communication, don't just assume everyone is on the same page as you, talk to them and tell them what page to be on.

The Drag 'N Bag

This is the most common set-up. The key to this is twofold.

1) Keep the bandit interested, think like the bandit. A bandit that does not have a sizeable speed advantage will not likely chase you for long. It is your job to make yourself an enticing fruit just beyond his reach. What a bandit is hoping for is for you to break, so wiggle, make it look as though you could be about to break at any moment, don't let your fish off the hook.

2) When you have a friendly coming to bag your drag, do not do anything sudden, but do something to keep the bandit more interested in his forward view than checking his 6, wiggle, pull up a tad to slow him down, just do not drastically change your heading. The reason is the friendly is likely holding alot of E and will not be able to maintain lead for a shot without chopping alot of E.

Hanging 'Em High

This set-up is quite similiar to the drag but is more specialized in its application and implies use of the vertical. This is probably the most beautiful set-up for your wingmen, if done correctly it's almost impossible to miss. Think of this set-up as a rope, but for someone else. There are some considerations for this method as follows:

1) The first key to this move is E. You must have the E to keep just out of arms reach, but like the rope, E states have to be close enough the bandit feels he has a chance, especially if you were to loop over the top. Pull him up very gradually at first, steepening your climb gradually until you are vertical. With gravity fighting against him he will be a very unstable gunnery platform even if he does have the range for a shot at the top.

2) The 2nd key to this move is timing. If E states are relatively equal between you and the bandit you must be reasonably confident your friendly will pick your fruit as it dangles on the branch before the bandit gets close enough for a shot. This is where communication comes in. Again, like the drag it is important to keep yourself attractive to look at, especially as your friendly is coming in for the kill, wiggle a bit or act like you are going to loop over the top to keep the bandit from checking his 6.

The Suck-Drag

This technique is very usefull against alt monkeys. Everyone has been in this situation, you have a con above you and some friendlies who is looking to BnZ. The key to getting this fellow is the suck-drag. An alt monkey BnZer has two vulnerabilities, excessive speed and only being able to attack one at a time. As you are sucking his E away from him your friendlies are jockeying into position to turn the tables on him as his relative E advantage degrades.

1) A high Alt BnZer operating without a wingman can only attack one person at a time. This provides an opportunity to degrade his relative E advantage without actually engaging him per se. Again, think like the bandit, what does he want to see? What will make him most likely to over-commit his E? I'll tell you what...an unaware opponent. So, give him what he wants, pretend you are unaware of him, but do it in a crafty way. The second you realize he may dive on you , start a very shallow dive, build-up E, forcing him to lose alot more alt than he thinks with his pass, he will be diving so fast he will not notice the difference. Don't dive steeply enough he can tell by aspect of your plane what you are doing. Just sit there until the last possible second, then chop throttle and break (never break straight up). Repeat this as necessary, every pass he makes on someone the others are closing the E gap as the bandit wastes his E in high speed power dives. This works best on bandits attacking from at or near the pure vertical.

2) Control compression from excessive dive-speed is enemy #1 for the BnZer. What is a lazy turn for a plane going 300, is an impossible black-out turn for a plane going 500. Use this against the BnZer to suck his energy advantage away. This works best on bandits not attacking from the pure vertical. In this suck-drag do not build up speed, keep in level flight or even a shallow climb, maintaining your best corner speed is most important. As soon as the bandit starts his pass, start turning, very gradually at first, tightening up as he gets closer and faster. One of these four things will happen:

a) He blacks-out trying to follow you without chopping throttle.

b) He compresses totally and either lawn darts or blows a HUGE amount of E before he recovers from control compression.

c) He aggressively chops throttle for the shot, but likely will not be able to match your turn, this burns ALOT of his E, you may even be in a position for a shot when he overshoots.

d) He aborts his attack at some point, burning some E.

The key to these moves is to make yourself attractive to fixate upon. The more fixated the bandit is on you the less he is checking his 6. The other keys are communicating with and being predictable to your friendlies. Don't do anything unexpected, if you must break hard, annouce your intentions so your friendly can be ready. For example: "Breaking Left 90 degrees!". If you are dragging a bandit within guns range, do not drastically change your heading with unpredictable panic moves, never vary your heading more than 45 degrees, by doing this you give friendlies dumping E with alt a chance to come clear you. Like the BnZer a friendly diving down to clear you cannot turn with a slow moving bandit for a shot.

Anyways I hope this helps. Anyone else feel free to add your favorite set-up moves. Happy Hunting!

Zazen
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 04:12:10 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:12:40 PM »
:cool: TY Zazen 4 the info .... well done & written....should help the new & old alike

Cheers,

Happy1  :D

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 09:05:56 PM »
Zaz,

What do you call a running drag worked by two guys? I mean... lead dragger pulls a couple/multiples out and wingman dives in to scare/shoot them off... lead guy is now clear and climbs ahead for immelman, wing guy  now pulls the dragees underneath lead for hime to dive in... switch roles, repeat & rinse until all dead or you're home. There must be a term for it. We pull it quite often but I never knew a name for the tactic.

Booz

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 09:11:25 PM »
Originally posted by Booz
Zaz,

What do you call a running drag worked by two guys? I mean... lead dragger pulls a couple/multiples out and wingman dives in to scare/shoot them off... lead guy is now clear and climbs ahead for immelman, wing guy  now pulls the dragees underneath lead for hime to dive in... switch roles, repeat & rinse until all dead or you're home. There must be a term for it. We pull it quite often but I never knew a name for the tactic.

Booz

That's the drag n' bag as I decribed, just repeated. The roles are just switched as one guy gets clear and loops over to become the bagger for the new dragger. 50cals and myself do that all the time, it amazes me people still fall for that trap, but they do. It's the best 2 vs. horde tactic there is, the hordlings are usually so hungry for kills they'll fall for any old trap, you don't even need to be subtle about it. ;)

Zazen
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 09:52:15 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:36:28 PM »
Ren or DmdDano termed it the "Rolling Retreat" when 2 vs horde trying to fight for that kill.......er well when RTBing that is.......

Thanks for the Write - Up  :aok
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 11:39:38 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 12:03:41 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
Ren or DmdDano termed it the "Rolling Retreat" when 2 vs horde trying to fight for that kill.......er well when RTBing that is.......

Thanks for the Write - Up  :aok

That's a good name for it. But, it really is just Drag 'n Bag recycled.

Zazen

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 03:49:12 PM »
I hate setting up. I love being set up. :)
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
With hot, sweaty men?
Army of Muppets

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 08:18:36 PM »
Stang and me vs. Grits, Jaxxo, and an angry horde.

Now that was a clinic in setups and a "rolling retreat."  Wish we'd caught that one on film a month or so ago.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 09:10:20 PM »
i wing with you all the time wtf u dont say morph is angry mob killer. :mad:

:noid
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:48:44 PM »

Selfish bastard hogging all the baby seals! Spread the wealth man!:aok

Zazen

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 01:13:56 PM »

I was set up when I saw this game advertised on the millitary channel lol.
I was hooked ever since.:rolleyes:

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Art of the Set-up
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 02:35:05 PM »
Originally posted by uberhun
I was set up when I saw this game advertised on the millitary channel lol.
I was hooked ever since.:rolleyes:

Yea:rolleyes:

You wont be hooked long you will quit sooner or later lol