Author Topic: question about harddrives  (Read 245 times)

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
question about harddrives
« on: December 25, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »
I am looking to go with a bigger hard drive.  Mainly because i plan on finally making the home movie dvds that the family has been bugging me about.
I figure I need 100gb or larger for data storage.

Is there any benefit to using a SATA harddrive?

Is there any added benefit to the above mentioned for Aces High gameplay.

Offline Lan784

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 10:25:02 PM »
I honestly dont think you need a new harddrive. Just put ur movies on blank disks so they wont take up space on ur harddrive and same with other stuff also. BTW how big is ur current harddrive? And for aceshigh it wont change a thing ive been playing for 2 years and the most that the game has taken up on my harddrive is 1gb. I have a 80gb HD and i still have 50gb to spare. I have alot of junk it also. So in short just put ur work onto some blank CDs so u save some space.

LaN764 making AH worse one person at a time

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 11:14:52 PM »
Originally posted by Lan784
I honestly dont think you need a new harddrive. Just put ur movies on blank disks so they wont take up space on ur harddrive and same with other stuff also. BTW how big is ur current harddrive? And for aceshigh it wont change a thing ive been playing for 2 years and the most that the game has taken up on my harddrive is 1gb. I have a 80gb HD and i still have 50gb to spare. I have alot of junk it also. So in short just put ur work onto some blank CDs so u save some space.

LaN764 making AH worse one person at a time

1.waste of money..
2.waste of time.
3.maybe he wantes to play other games.
3.aces high for us takes up to 2-3gigs =)
4.moves can take up to 1-4 gigs rofl

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:16:52 AM »
40 gig

any sata users out there have an opinion

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:04:06 AM »
I don't have SATA, but with SATA you get the latest internal HD technology which should be the fastest available, and the SATA cables are a lot smaller and neater.

I'd go for 200 gig though... Newegg.com has a nice 200 gig maxtor for $89.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 06:50:58 AM »
i do.....2 7200 rpm 76gig running in RAID 0 config, and if you want to load things like music and movies, thats where you'll see the biggest difference. RAID 0 i don't really understand, but from what i can tell, your machine can pull data and save data much faster because you're pulling data from 2 hard drives at once. the only real problem is if one drive fails, you lose the data, but you can run in "mirror" and if one dies, you have a good one with a copy of everything.....look it up on the net, not here, and you'll probably find alot more info
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 07:39:33 AM by buzkill »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 07:56:22 AM »
I use 2 160gig 7200 SATA HD's in RAID 1 ( mirrored ) I have not seen that much difference myself between RAID 0 vs RAID 1, and if I lose an HD, it is hot swapable to replace and rebuild with nothing lost.........

as for making  home movies or doing any DVD copying, you gonna want at least 120Gig or larger, reason being even if you are for instance copying from a DVD in your DVD player to your DVD Recorder, it still has to strip the DVD and process it on your HD, then record to your DVD...... unless it is a flat out straight up copy/backup......

as with this, you will use up around 10 to 20 gigs per movie, inwhich you will need to delete after you finished that particular project..........most I have ever got before deleting ( for space ) was 7 movies..........then you will want to defrag  for performance gain after doing say 10 movies........it really fragments the HD

SATA seems alot faster for all purposes.............tax time , hope to go the route of SATA-II 300gig   vs. SATA 150g...............will be smokin'  ala words of "the MASK"" :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »
running a pair? thats where the performance gain really shines