Author Topic: P51D Tutor Sought  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 07:48:49 AM »
All - thanks for the tips via the BBS.  It does help.  

I believe that my main problem is maintaining E when BnZ'ing, when to use and when not to use combat flaps, and Gunnery (of course).

I have been flying the 51D alot lately, and it is a great plane, i can tell...I just have trouble getting alot out of it.  It seems I cant 'get over the hump' in it's learning curve.

Last night, I was 12-13K headed to A4 (we had V3 at the time), 50% fuel, no ords.  I ended up finding an assortment of cannon-planes killing GVs at the spawn (IL2s, LA7s, Spit16's, NIKs).  I was 1 on about 7 or 8, with some Flak help from the GV's still alive at the spawn.  I orbited once while decreasing alt and picking up speed, picked an IL2 starting a guns run, and began to drop on him.  He ended his run, pulled up, and I was about 800 out.  He saw me and started a steep climibing right turn, which I lagged a tiny bit, then led into to 'chainsaw' a wing.  I got a bunch of hits along his fuselage and wing, but didnt bring him down.  I started shooting about 600 and stopped around 300.  My convergence is set to 375.  I may decrease this.

After this run, I pulled up to about 8K with approx 200MPH, and came back down, looking for a target of opportunity.  I found an LA7 strafing GVs,  so I came onto him, and overshot.  By this time, I had their attention.  On my climb out, a Spit 16 that was prevbiously low and slow on the deck went UberSpit and got on my 6.  After my overshot on the LA7 - I was at about 450MPH and climbing.  The spit 16 CAUGHT ME at about 5-6K and took me out.  Cursing followed.  I hate the Spit16!

Anyways...I didnt bring down the IL2 b/c of gunnery, obviously blew too much E on the overshot of the LA7, and couldnt get rid of the Spit16 in a climb.  

Morph - I may take you up on a few 51D sessions.  crowMAW - thanks for the vids and the ride last night.  Maybe we can wing up sometime.  Others, I may come looking for help.  

I do appreciate it!  Krusty - its OK man!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 07:53:06 AM by Casper1 »

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2005, 03:41:28 PM »
sounds to me that you misjudged the e-state of the spit 16. A spit with a full head of steam will zoom climb quite nicely. Still i never worry about spitfires not even 14s. I always take out the fast planes first (la7s, yaks, tiffies, 190d, 51s), then its simple enough to disengage any spits trying to catch you; gain some sep and speed convert it to alt, reverse and pick it off. Didnt your mummy always tell you not to chase faster planes all by yourself???

Anyways, seems to me your issue with the scenario described is you had an incomplete or incorrect SA picture (eg you misjudged the spudfires E state). As for the IL2, i believe they had a reputation for being able to soak up a lot of damage and keep going. Also i would never have started out on the IL2, i would have ignored it till all the other more dangerous fighters had been taken out. I think i would have tried ascertain the plane which posed the most threat and gone for that - be that the spit with huge E, or the LA7 which is faster than the p51 on the deck.

Anyways, thats just me, YMMV. OTOH, we all do have some really rotten sorties where everything just seems to go wrong...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2005, 04:40:56 PM »
CrowMAW- You said you have your convergence set at 600, what distance do most of your kills happen at?

JMFJ

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 05:02:10 PM »
better go back and read again.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 05:21:49 PM »
rgr morph thank you

crowMAW- let me rephrase that you set your convergance at 400, start shooting at 600, what distance do most of your kills occur at?

JMFJ

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 05:44:52 PM »
i find i can stall fight in almost all the US fighters iv beaten many with p47s p40s f4us p51bs p38s   i preferd the F4U-1   i preferd to be a energy fighter not a boring boom zoomer and i would turnfight almost anything execpt spits niks the true turn fighters      

i found boom zooming boring most of the time i liked to get above and use a ton of high yo yos ropes and try to saddle for a snapshot

the P51D can hold its own just fine but should not be put in stupid turnfights with spitfires and niks were it does not belong
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Excuse me, YOU never asked. You implied that I had no account, as did Furball or Fubar (one of those F-names), and neither bothered to ask me, despite me being online at the same time as both of you various times. Hell I've been in the same sector typing/talking with Furby/Fubs (whoever it was) and he still didn't see my VERY OBVIOUS game ID. Gatt asked me directly, simply, and wasn't a jerk about it, so he will get a nice PM.

krusty1

i'm sorry. i really dont care that much. i have occasionally wanted to check your stats when you take your high and mighty stance and tell others how they should be flying.  that is the only time i have asked.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 07:39:19 PM »
Originally posted by JMFJ
crowMAW- let me rephrase that you set your convergance at 400, start shooting at 600, what distance do most of your kills occur at?

I'm sorry...I don't know that I've ever looked at the d marker when they explode. I'm usually concentrating on aim at that point.  And I'm sure there is lag anyway from when they actually die and when I see them blow up.  I'm a pretty bad shot when it comes to aiming...so I start shooting earlier than I probably should and with tracers on so I can adjust my aim.  Probably by the time I get my aim on target I've closed the d to be in the sweet spot of convergence.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 08:38:32 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
you are on crack.

You have to learn to shoot with 50 cals before you can become successful with a 51. Aim for small parts, wing tips, tails, cockpits. Dont just shoot at a plane to hope in the off chance of something coming off.

Statements like this irk me. They give a new player a completely false idea of the way things are.  Because you have poor success with the 51's 50 cals, doesnt mean they aren't any good.

The 51 is one of the best BnZ fighters in the game. If not THE best. There is nothing I fear when im flying it. Not only is it a great BnZ fighter, it stall fights great, turns great and is just a bad ass, plane.

Relax irk boy! ;)  (Remember the training in the Rumble Map in the ponys long agao?)
Seriously Krusty. Morph has a point here. Albeit kinda subliminal due to his irkyness. The point is this. I too have been picked apart by crafty 51D pilots. The key word being "Picked". A BnZ extraordinaire the Pony is. But i usually take multiple passes to bring a bandit down in the role. Little peck here..little peck there. Unless of course you find yerself hangin out like the sunday laundry at the stalled apex of a rope. At which time, the now reversed pony is going to cut you into teeny peices.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
P51D Tutor Sought
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »
had some sweet sorties the other day.  

Had two 4 kill jobs and two 3 kill jobs.  Seems more than anything, it was my gunnery causing the problems...i am using 350 Convergence and usually ripping the baddies to shreds...