Author Topic: Flight sim?  (Read 435 times)

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Flight sim?
« on: January 01, 2006, 06:45:22 PM »
Finally starting ground school this month!!  

So I have a question about what is the best flight sim to help with things like navigation and IFR flight rules, etc.  As well as a possible aircraft that's most similar to what I'll be training in (Beech Sundowner).

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Spitter

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 06:49:32 PM »
FS2004 is the best 1:aok

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:23:52 PM »
For what you are doing, there are none in the regular store type sources. If you want a true sim the FAA accepts you'll have to fork out some big bucks. It is not MS flight sim or any other game.

Until you get your pilots license do not worry about training for IFR situations. First you need to just learn to fly the plane and learn when NOT to fly. Navigation is not that hard to learn but you need to learn about navigating in the real world, not a computer game. It is covered in your training.

Once you get your license you can concentrate in the IFR certification. Don't train yourself in bad habits dealing with some game and trying to apply the game to real flying.

Just pay attention to the REAL training you are paying for and forget games for the time being.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:18:31 AM »
for an OTC sim for a reasonable price is go with MSFS2004...Many of times have I flown a flight on the sim that I am planning within the next couple days with my sectional and approach plates infront of me and for the most part its identical
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:19:11 AM »
as "identical, or close to identical" as I say it is, by no means do you EVER substitute MSFS time for actual flight instruction
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:21:10 AM »
Iirc, X-plane qualifies as software for a PCATD

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:41:25 AM »
A solid training aid package:

-FS9 (MSFS2004)
-CH Flight Sim Yoke with 3 levers (Mixtures/Props/Throttles)
-CH Pro Pedals

With these tools you can have a solid training supplement in the comfort of your own home.  For my new IFR students I darn near require them (I might as well...they all have them!) to have the three things listed above.

I use FS9 regularly as a way to relax and lately I've started to 'relive' flights I've made.  Nothing crazy and liberal use of the time compression feature (if you can hold altitude +/- 50ft without autopilot coast-to-coast at 128x speed...you're my hero!)

You can't log it, but it's a great tool.  It's actually more difficult to fly a simulator than a real airplane...they're very sensitive.  You can de-sensitize the sim by playing with the sliders in the controls section but if you're looking to improve your BAI (Basic Attitude Instrument) flying skills...crank those suckers up.  You don't have the same tactile responses (feel) as you do in a real airplane but again that adds to the challenge.

Good luck...and have fun :)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
Ever wonder how well a vet aces high player would fare in WWII aerial combat?  Do you think a year or two worth of experience would put us up a notch against if we were suddenly jolted into a corsair over the pacific
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 03:36:55 AM »
We would be more aware tactically than a real life noob pilot I suppose but the rest isnt comporable judging from my limited airtime in WW2 era planes.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Flight sim?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:53:04 AM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Ever wonder how well a vet aces high player would fare in WWII aerial combat?  Do you think a year or two worth of experience would put us up a notch against if we were suddenly jolted into a corsair over the pacific

I think wed die pretty fast. No "You have ditched" - reup at next available base. Flying IRL would have to be a *lot* more timid and save. No dogfighting P47 against Spitty....

But then, ive never actually sat on the controls of a RL airplane, so how would i know?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Rotax447

• Copper Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:38:21 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
I think wed die pretty fast. No "You have ditched" - reup at next available base. Flying IRL would have to be a *lot* more timid and save. No dogfighting P47 against Spitty....

But then, ive never actually sat on the controls of a RL airplane, so how would i know?

I don’t know Schatzi, I think Grunherz may be on to something here.  Assume we go back in a time machine, and go through the standard pilot training.

Anyone playing AH for a couple of years, would have a pretty good idea of what to expect.  To stay alive, stay high, stay fast, don’t furball, don’t chase ’em down to the deck, watch for the HO, check six, in fact, check everywhere, every few seconds.

I’m not saying any of us would be the next Yeager or Hartmann, but I think we would have a better than average chance of surviving the war.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 05:48:01 AM »

I would be lost.. no icons to tell who the friendlies are so i would prolly killshoot myself... and some moron would chute-shoot me after my non-successful ejection after said killshot

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »
I found MSFS to be valuable teaching gauge and instrument interpretation as well as practicing basic instrument flying techniques such as procedure turns and other instrument maneuvers, but none of that time is even close to "official" training time.

I think it helped me but don't ever tell your instructor or a flight examiner that you use a PC sim or game to "help out" or "learn stuff".  If it helps, they'll just assume you're a quick learner.  If you tell them however, then they'll probably start digging into your habits and knowledge trying to find out what bad habits you've gotten from the sim, and that can result in a much tougher instructional course or checkride.

BTW I did most of this without even using a joystick or rudders.  Just MSFS with the keyboard and mouse.  You can't use the sim to learn how to actually fly/takeoff/land the plane, so don't worry about the realism.  But you can get practice reading and interpreting the instruments and paying attention to multiple things at once, and that can be valuable.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
http://www.x-plane.com

Blows MSFS crap out of the water.

FAA approved for Instrument Rating, Commercial and Airline Transport Certificate.

Enjoy!

g00b

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Flight sim?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 04:00:07 PM »

I doubt a typical gamer could hack it physically. Not only that, some of the best "AH pilots" would need a note from mom.