Author Topic: Aces High: The Great War  (Read 629 times)

Offline Chesty McGee

• Zinc Member
Aces High: The Great War
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:34:27 AM »
You can probably guess what this is. A World War One "Aces High".  I think it would be great, but I'm not sure how much you lot out there would like it.  I feel it might get forgoten - nobody seems to take much interest in WW1.  Look at the game market: Brother's in Arms; Call of Duty; Medal of Honour...the list is an endless WW2 show.

For once, let's remember the birth of fighter aircraft and tanks: WW1.

Stuff it HAS to have:
Sopwith Camel
Fokker Dr.1
Fokker Dr.VII
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane (these are just examples, I'm sure you can think of many more).

Mark I
Mark IV
A7V
Renault FT17
Whippet

Stuff that'd be cool but probably won't happen:
Infantry Types eg. Riflemen, Stormtroopers etc.
No radar, reconnaissance is the key.
Artillary strikes and proper land for the infantry to fight on (if there is any at all).

Tell me what you think guys.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:40:09 AM »
i love the first world war air war.

goes from people flying in balsa wood kites with pistols shooting at one another to squadron tactics and strategic bombing with heavy bombers.

would love to up in Se5a's ala 56 squadron :)

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:40:45 AM »
throwing a brick at someone and connecting in 1914 would rock.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:54:10 AM »
Furby there is a decent WW1 mod for CFS3 called over flanders fields.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 09:00:39 PM »
Actually, HT and Pyro have experience and data in this area.  Years ago, they did a WW1 version of Warbirds called "Dawn of Aces".  This was an unfortunate name, because everybody naturally called it DOA, which turned out to be rather prescient :eek:.

DOA was a very good game, as you'd expect given who made it.  The problem was, it never attracted a large enough customer base to support itself, let alone pay off its development cost.  The company HT and Pyro then worked for, which controlled WB, also provided a lot of other online games, but was going broke so needed to get more customers.  Thus, DOA (and a space version of WB, too).  But despite pushing DOA very hard, including giving folks lots of free time on it, all that happened was a few WB players would go do it for a change of pace periodically when they were really drunk--few, if any, new customers showed up for it.  AFAIK, DOA went down the tubes at the same time that whole company assumed room temperature, and hasn't been heard from since.

It's too bad.  I like WW1 planes and still play RB2 with that cool mod pack Full Canvas Jacket.  Back in DOS AW days, I used to fly in the WW1 arena every Friday night, despite the furballs being too much for the host to handle.  But AW's WW1 arena never had much use at other times, kinda like the CT here.

Maybe someday HTC will dust off their old WW1 plane data and do AH WW1.  However, that'll only happen if HTC gets to a point where they don't have to worry about making money off it.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 10:42:25 PM »
DOA was really a lot of fun despite the problems with some of the FM's and the "Lazer" guns of some of the a/c.

Still it was great fun attacking the Zeppelins and trying to shoot down the observation "Loons" (Balloons). It REALLY made you develop your A2A skills.

BEST thing about DOA was their Artillery System that could be called in from a two place aircraft. Fire a ranging round and when on target - call in for a barrage. What I would really like to see done here in AH with either spotters in small L-4 "Grasshoppers" or mounted in a Half track.

:aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:26:37 AM »
People complain about having to fly 1 sector to an NME field now....

If you bring WWI planes in (it does sound cool dont get me wrong here) then you will have a flood of fix the collision model posts cause the fields will have to be so close that PPL will colide at the end of the runways...

:D