Author Topic: Spit5 X from Malta  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spit5 X from Malta
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
Just for comparison.  Here's the Spit the Bullethead's AH1 skin is based on.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Spit5 X from Malta
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
Heres mine.
The ailerons are not painted, definately looks lighter. Which fits with what I read about the control surfaces not being painted on some because they were conscerned it would affect them.
But as I said, it obviously wasn't applicable to all to them.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:44:10 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spit5 X from Malta
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006, 01:56:23 PM »
IT almost looks like some of the Spits were repainted Malta with a darker color as the one I posted as well as others show the dark color covering the big Vokes filter as well.

Kinda makes you wish you could go back in time for a quick peek and a photo with a color camera :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Spit5 X from Malta
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 05:47:50 PM »
Thought is (esp with 249 sqn) is that the mid-stone was overpainted with Extra Dark Sea Grey, or in some cases whole uppers done in it.

They are that close in black and white you'd probably not notice demarcation lines and assume as single overall color.

Like the 'test black and white pic further up .
Was done by doing a dark earth/ED Sea Grey camo, getting a screenie then just making it greyscale.
You can't even tell it's two different colors on the uppers.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Spit5 X from Malta
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »
Krusty said:
EDIT: Bullethead, my comment was about the other blue spit. Seeing your progress I like it too, but I think it needs a bit more blue on the inboard wings. Worn blue, but more blue :)

Well, seeing that the blue seems to have come off in big chunks fairly soon after arrival, (kinda like Kev had originally, before the latest pics) I figured anywhere that got a lot of traffic would have lost almost all the blue after 6 or 7 months of daily use.  Then the desert would have gotten a lot of wear.   I also have the blue peeled back from the leading edges, too.  Because the inner wings have all the traffic for the engine and gun bays, I don't have much blue there.  

Have you considered trying to depict the blue "stuck" in the panel lines (not wearing off as badly) or something along those lines?

IMHO, this would be totally unrealistic.  See my numerous rants about panel lines :).  For ANY paint to be inside a panel line, there would have to be zero sealant in the tiny gap between the edges of the panels at the time the paint was applied.  I seriously doubt this would be the case on any plane (except maybe mid-war Russians and late-war Germans), especially not on factory-fresh spits like these were at the time they turned blue.

In fact, on the contrary, panel and rivet lines lose their paint the fastest on upper wings.  This is because these lines show where the underlying structure is, the spaces between these lines being unsupported sheet metal.  Therefore, personnel try hard to walk only on panel and rivet lines to keep from pushing in the skin.  But when they don't, and the skin gets pushed in, that makes the structure lines stick up higher and therefore take even more wear.

Here's how it looks now.  I've only really gotten the wings into final shape (except for gunsmoke).   Been doing a lot of driving lately so haven't had that much time to work on this: