Author Topic: Challenger Rebirth? (Automotive)  (Read 956 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Challenger Rebirth? (Automotive)
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2005, 01:19:04 PM »
I hate the current chrysler hemi.  Even with 4 cyl disabled in cruise, it's less efficient than the GM LS series aluminum V8s.  Sure it's got power, but nowadays that's not enuf.  The new vette gets 100 hp more than the previous generation and still gets about the same mileage.  My firebird isn't all that more aerodynamic than the new dodge hemi powered cars but I get 5-10 more mpg out of my LS1 engine without resorting to shutting off half the cylinders.

Heck, I drove a rental Chevy "classic" and it had a hell of a lot more power than most econoboxes, and the 3 tanks of gas I put through it in 10 days got 26, 32, and 28 mpg in mixed city/highway driving.  After the abomination GM was using with their 4 and 6 cyl engines in the last 10-15 years, I think they're actually using some decent powerplants right now.

Hemi...  Sounds cool and generates a lot of power but the fuel efficiency appears to be absolutely horrible.  Drop an LS derivative in there or even the bulky ford modular engine in there, and it would be a lot more attractive in actual use IMHO.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I had a 1964 Falcon Convertible that had a 302 Boss dropped in it, with a Hurst Inline shifter, man that car was fun! Wheel-hopped something bad though due to springs...

Yeah, the Grabber was like that too, although alot heavier than a Falcon.  Slapper bars helped, but there's just so much you can do.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Re: Re: Challenger Rebirth? (Automotive)
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
If you want performance and you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, you have to go with the rice.

I took a road trip last weekend (700 miles or so) in my new wheels, and had one of these come up beside me, on the freeway, doing his best vroom-vroom.
I had no interest and he just floored it and pulled away over the next hill.  I come up over that hill and there was a state trooper giving a proper greeting to the little ricer.

A few miles down the road, here he comes again.  This time he looks a bit agitated.  And again tries to goad me into a race.  No chance.  He then pulls in front of me and slams on the brakes.  I swerve and keep going.  Here he comes again, looking even more agitated.

This time he gets on my bumper guns it up so as to look like he is going to ram me.  What he didn't know, as he was too busy trying to make a fool of himself, was that very same state trooper had been creeping up from behind.

On come the lights and siren.  I pull over as well as I was not sure if the trooper wanted me to stop or not and he did not flag me on.  So I sit there and the trooper comes to my car and says, "You dunt have to worry about that boy.  A wrecker is on the way.  Be safe,"  I thanked the officer and rolled on down the highway.

never did see that Subaru again.  hehe.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2005, 02:21:03 PM »
Funny story skuzzy.  I like happy endings like that :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
That's pretty funny Skuzzy. Well, what happened to the guy at least, he deserved getting towed. Last week I managed to get pulled over driving my roommate's STi... but I was doing the speed limit, and cars were flying past us. They're cop magnets no matter when, where, or how you drive them.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
Some new pics of the Challenger:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2006, 09:42:56 AM »
I think it looks pretty good... the orange one anyway.    

For the most part, the rice guys seem to try to ignore my big block elky.  Some will smile and thumbs up tho... and some... will do like they did to skuzzy.   I generaly drop down 2 gears and nail it.  the rear tires chirp and it gets real angry sounding and walks away from em... once I show em that I can pull away easily at 70 to 100 or so they pretty much give it up... If not.. I ignore them.   Unless I am in "one of those moods".

lazs

Offline *NDM*JohnnyX

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »
I got a two ton hemi Ram, and have already painted a WRX kill on my fender. Ricers amuse me.