Author Topic: B24 1000 lb.Bombs vs. Hangars  (Read 1573 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
B24 1000 lb.Bombs vs. Hangars
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 07:56:09 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle327

What have you done to advance the cause of freedom ?

Eagle

Bombing a hanger in a flight sim game and then jumping to advance the cause of freedom, quite a leap there.

I'm going to try real hard to win the next reset in the Main Arena. I'm sure the world will be a better place then.
Who knows, maybe it will cure all diseases and sickness, stop people from starving and peace will envelop the world.
Heck, maybe it will even stop the universe from expanding or contracting.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 10:08:57 AM »
Ok people are upset at the low alt suicide lanc diving dweebs and I think they are some of the most skilless dweebs in the game but think of this if you make it so that a real bomber pilot as in one who takes the time to climb and calibrate can no longer cause a large amount of damage after taking the time to climb all that way would not this just make those dumb lanc diving dweebs with that big fat belly full of bombs all that much more enticeing? Especially to new players who will see that it is easier to just fly in and dump on the hangers than to actually bomb.

Also I love the smaller bombers but I think we will see a drastic decrease in usage of KI-67's. They used to be just barly effective when 2 flights would go in on a medium field to kill hangers but now I drop on 2 hangers and 9 times out of 10 I only get 1 hanger kill and I'm one of the most accurate buff drivers I know. I have also found that with the bombs set this way you can still kill all FH's at a base with 17's or such but you have to get much lower to be more accurate in the sight.

All in all this didn't really fix anything just made things a bit more frustrating and dweeby for those of us that try to use bombers the way they were meant to be used.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 11:13:26 AM »
Let bomber Pilots control ONE thing at a time like everybody else.
I would like to control a formation of Ostis please. As I can't take out  formations of bombers with one. Heck I'm lucky if I can take out one with the 4,5,6 37mm hits it takes. Ever try to hit a plane 5 times with a 37mm?

Super Norden bomb sight coupled with JDAM bombs with the whole formation electroniclly coupled to drop perfectly together. No watching for the lead bomber to drop BEFORE releaseing from the secondary aircraft.

Then the "I dropped 3 whole bombs and I didn't get a kill for the hanger." Geez.......

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Bombers vs. Hangars
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »
To get back to the original point brought up by the originator of this thread, the bombs have been rendered more ineffective than they should in the last major AH update. Last night I dropped 18 500 lb'ers on a CV and got 21 damage messages but no ship destroyed.  There is no way that ship should have survived. I took a screenshot of the damage messages if anyone would like to see it. The CV is still visible showing through the text buffer.

Realistically, most WWII hangars were wooden frame structures with possibly sheet metal or wooden siding and roofing. A single 500 lb. bomb should be sufficient to demolish it and everything in it. I have repeatedly salvoed three 500 lb. bombs times 3 bombers, for 4500 lbs. of bombs on hangars and had them fail to demolish the hangars. A near miss with a single 500 lb. should damage the hangar badly or destroy it completely. "3 whole bombs" from 3 bombers w/500s equates to 4500 lbs. of high explosives which the concussion alone would blow a tin building down, probably 500 yards away. "Geez"

If you look at the hangars in this game, they are not the modern, hardened concrete and steel reinforced structures that the military uses today. Next time you're in the hangar selecting your plane and loadout, look at the hangar structure. Use your hat switch or view buttons to look around.

A formation of 3 B17's or 3 B-24's or 3 Lancasters dropping on a small airfield would disable every hangar that they hit. If there were only four or six hangars and all of them were hit, yes, that airfield would be wiped out if all the planes were in the hangars. Personally, I think we should be able to crater the runways and make them unuseable as well.

The issue here is, if you make a good bomb drop on a hangar, or all the hangars on the field, they should be destroyed, not still standing. If you make good hits on the CV with big bombs, they should be sunk. If you can't do that, why bother to fly bombers.

F4jCH

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 01:18:07 PM »
Realistically if the hanger was destroyed, do the pilot, crew chief and whoever it takes to get a plane up in the air pack it up and take a break?
I think not, they'd be working thier behinds off in the open to get that crate flying.

And Eagle, I you for your service to the country.  Personal issues would have made me F4 and I doubt I would have gotten thru boot camp, I'm a wimp. My father was also unable to join up due to birth defects. My Uncle did serve and it was my pleasure to help care for him for 10+ years after he had a stroke.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 02:44:47 PM »
Originally posted by fuzeman
And Eagle, I you for your service to the country.  Personal issues would have made me F4 and I doubt I would have gotten thru boot camp, I'm a wimp. My father was also unable to join up due to birth defects. My Uncle did serve and it was my pleasure to help care for him for 10+ years after he had a stroke.

I would say, Fuseman, that you certainly served your country looking after your Veteran Uncle for 10+ years.

As to meeting the responsibilities of leadership, as Group XO of the 4 squadrons of the 327th Steel Talons, totaling 56 pilots, I must employ leadership, management and organizational functions just about 24/7.  It's a damned good thing I am retired, hehe.  None the less, like most AH'ers, I occasionally still draw "Wife Flack"

Salute !
Eagle
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »
Got ya  :)  I been a CO for almost 4 years now. Can't find anyone that wants the job LoL Good thing we're very relaxed and layed back.
back at ya. I know/knew some of those 327th guys, STICK comes to mind from way back in AW and KOTH.
If ya see him pass on a hello and He started a good thing and WMLute and I are keeping it going.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Re: Bombers vs. Hangars
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »
Originally posted by F4J

The issue here is, if you make a good bomb drop on a hangar, or all the hangars on the field, they should be destroyed, not still standing. If you make good hits on the CV with big bombs, they should be sunk. If you can't do that, why bother to fly bombers.

F4jCH

And if flack gave a high percentage of loss to a bomber stream attacking an airfield? Weak hangers should be countered with accurate flack. Bombers have all the advantage.

A bomber crew was rotated out IF they survived 25 missions. Flack was dangerous. I think once or twice I've seen flack hit a bomber. If it wasn't for fighters, and the 1K Bomber PILots. There would be practically NO bomber losses. AirFields protect by 3 AA guns is ludicrous. Puffy Ack as it is, is pretty much eye candy and offers no airfield defense.

WWII bombers targeting a single structure is ludicrous.

USAAF leaders firmly held to the claim that they were conducting "precision" bombing of military targets for much of the war, and energetically refuted claims that they were simply bombing cities. In reality, the day bombing was "precision bombing" only in the sense that most bombs fell somewhere in or near the desired city

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Bombers vs. Hangars
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
And if flack gave a high percentage of loss to a bomber stream attacking an airfield? Weak hangers should be countered with accurate flack. Bombers have all the advantage.

A bomber crew was rotated out IF they survived 25 missions. Flack was dangerous. I think once or twice I've seen flack hit a bomber. If it wasn't for fighters, and the 1K Bomber PILots. There would be practically NO bomber losses. AirFields protect by 3 AA guns is ludicrous. Puffy Ack as it is, is pretty much eye candy and offers no airfield defense.

WWII bombers targeting a single structure is ludicrous.

I lost several bombers to puffy ack last night, and I may even have it on film.
F4jCH

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 09:31:47 PM »
I'm not sure but I think I'm geting my 327ths mixed up, squelch me.

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 10:13:04 PM »
I'm not sure but I think I'm geting my 327ths mixed up, squelch me.

I wouldn't think of squelching you, Fuseman.
I respect your comments.  That's one of the freedoms we all fight for.
Here's our Roster with a link at the bottom to the main index page for easier navigation.

Just click on roster call-signs for profiles of our members.

Eagle
http://www.327th.com/roster.htm
Eagle, Group XO

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle327
I wouldn't think of squelching you, Fuseman.
I respect your comments.  That's one of the freedoms we all fight for.
Here's our Roster with a link at the bottom to the main index page for easier navigation.

Just click on roster call-signs for profiles of our members.

Eagle
http://www.327th.com/roster.htm

Most squelch me now as a reflex, like pulling back when you touch something hot LoL I'm just kidding... I hope :)

I do think someone forgot to pay the bills though.
Linkus brokenus.  I also tried via your personal webpage and got a 'could not be found', just a heads up. Links must be good but maybe a server burp.

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »
I do think someone forgot to pay the bills though.
Linkus brokenus.  I also tried via your personal webpage and got a 'could not be found', just a heads up. Links must be good but maybe a server burp.

Gee...that's odd.
I just tested the link and the website page and all is well.
Do you  have your reader/browser set to receive HTML,  POPUPS blocked, security level set too high ??
This is the very first time anyone reported trouble.

Eagle
Eagle, Group XO

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
Gota be operator error than.  I went to http://www.327th.com/  and got to that AOK. Has to be my setttings I'd assume.
I'll shaddup now  :D

I do see STICK listed, guess I'm not getting my 327ths confused.

EDIT- FYI, Zulu ran into me other day in the TA and said he was going to have a couple people from the MA stop in to get some help.
I did wait for the 30 minutes as I said but there wasn't any response when I asked 'Did Zulu send any of you here to get help?' so I left.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:40:38 PM by fuzeman »

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 03:02:51 PM »
Gota be operator error than.  I went to http://www.327th.com/  and got to that AOK. Has to be my setttings I'd assume.
I'll shaddup now  :D

I do see STICK listed, guess I'm not getting my 327ths confused.

EDIT- FYI, Zulu ran into me other day in the TA and said he was going to have a couple people from the MA stop in to get some help.
I did wait for the 30 minutes as I said but there wasn't any response when I asked 'Did Zulu send any of you here to get help?' so I left.

Well, thanks for trying to help with training, anyway.
Zulu is one of our newest members.  Has great enthusiasm and thirst to learn.
I have no idea whom he was referring to, but here's his email if you want to explore this further:

"Zulu"

Eagle
Eagle, Group XO