Author Topic: Enough!!!!!  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »
I drive the pnzr quite a bit from time to time (mostly when it's beta terrain) and I prefer to kill at around 3-4000 yards away.  Sometimes you can even kill up to 6 or 7000 yards away if you have previously ranged that shot.  Sometimes you may waste about 15-20 rounds ranging that far - sometimes more.  I may use 80 AP rounds just killing 7 or 8 pnzrs.  Also after spending quite sometime in the pnzr you get to know what size the enemy pnzr appears in your sights.  This is the biggest indication of how far away the enemy pnzr is.  It is something that you'll just get used to but you need to be spending quite sometime in pnzrs to get used to it.  Often you'll get a pnzr driving straight at you, or just at an easy angle for you to range him.  Then take into account the speed he's doing and you can then approximate how less you have to fire.  Remember if you are attacking then the defending pnzrs will mostly have their ranges already sorted out and sometimes even have the spawn point ranged which is something I have managed a few times at over 3k away.

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2000, 07:33:00 AM »
Woof Razor, Not saying that it might not have been hacked, but it only takes one ping to kill a pilot.

When this happens, the plane blows up of course. I've been killed by ack this way, and I've been fortunate enough to get a few lucky shots at lanc's and nailed them this way. Try aiming for the planes cockpit when in on buffs. They knock down much easier.

My one real victory over Torque happened this way. I was in on him from his high 2 oc and got lucky and he blew. Had I just knocked a flap off or something, the results would have undoubtedly been different.

Weave

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2000, 09:25:00 AM »
torque whos that?.....  o noooooo now i remember  

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2000, 11:42:00 AM »
LOL I see Frosty is quite quick to pass out lables.  Strange since THIS post will be my 144th SINCE the beginning of beta, unlike some others with thousands, but then I guess if your a brown nose FACTS don't account for much <GRIN>

BigJim

Frosty1

Enough!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2000, 11:53:00 AM »
BigJim, I do what I can for the community.  

------------------
===>Frosty
====>Exposure2k.com
=====>Frosty@exposure2k.com

Frosty1

Enough!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2000, 11:56:00 AM »
I flew during since the beginning of beta, but I never registered till later, and never really got into the habit of having a forum posting job. I wonder where some people get the time for 2000+ posts??

------------------
===>Frosty
====>Exposure2k.com
=====>Frosty@exposure2k.com

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
Strange things happen over the net. Seems that I have been getting killed by a single hit from a Panzer while it takes me 4-5 hits to get a kill. Yesterday I was in a battle at A6 and 3 separate times while I was pounding a continual respawner I would get 3 hits on him with no kill yet but one shot from him and BOOM...back to the tower for me. Funny thing is that 90% of the time when I hit a moving Osty or Panzer the first hit disables him some way....but if he's standing still it will take at least 3 if not more to kill him.
These problems are not major, just a bit frustrating but the games still very enjoyable for me.
BTW, I ain't saying that there's a hack in use....I believe this is a damage modeling / net lag issue and nothing else.

Lars

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
Lars, on quite a few occasions it has taken up to 30AP rounds to kill a pnzr, or even a Flakpnzr.  I often find a pnzr whilst being hit by ack often takes more rounds to kill for some reason?

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2000, 03:27:00 PM »
I have noticed that the angle the round strikes a pnzr seems to effect its killing power.  A round hitting on top kills quick, hitting on the side doesnt do as much damage.

Also, in case anyone hasnt noticed, an HE round wont do much to a pnzr, you gotta hit with an AP round.

No, the guy who shot me didnt start with an M.

And the guy who shot me so far out, was damn near out of vis range at full zoom with cannon sight. That is out there.

Oh well, it happens.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2000, 03:44:00 PM »
The tank graphics are scaled to true distance.  Someone that drives a tank a lot (and I mean a whole lot) is going to know how far you are from the graphic display, and there isn't a lot you can do about it, except get lucky.

Iow they're better than me and most everyone else, no cheating needed.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dago:
I have noticed that the angle the round strikes a pnzr seems to effect its killing power.  A round hitting on top kills quick, hitting on the side doesnt do as much damage.

Also, in case anyone hasnt noticed, an HE round wont do much to a pnzr, you gotta hit with an AP round.

No, the guy who shot me didnt start with an M.

And the guy who shot me so far out, was damn near out of vis range at full zoom with cannon sight. That is out there.

Oh well, it happens.

Dago

Any hit on the turrent isn't likely to do squat. Hits on the anti-HEAT skirts on the turrent and the upper section of side hull rarely do damage as well.

HE can kill tanks easily too...it just usually takes 5-6 hits where as AP takes 1 or 2.

If you know how to use the text buff box and the terrain as a guideline, (and don't have a mountain directly in the way) you can shell any field in AH from a vehicle spawn point using the AP ammo. It's possible to kill vehicles from as far as 7-8k but very unlikely now that you can hear the shells landing around you, and the wind.

- Jig

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
Very true Jig with all of your points...  I can't remember which field it is, but there is one spawn point that puts you on the top of a hill overlooking an airfield (beta).  Basically you can shut the VH down from the spawn point by aiming at the very bottom of the reticle (whatever range that is!!  9000yards?).

Also I've found that if a pnzr takes more than 3 hits of AP, try aiming a bit lower at the tracks/lower armour and that will often finish them off easier.

HE rounds, well, I never load them now and I always stick to AP.  In the past I have had kills with HE but it obviously takes more rounds to kill.

One thing I have noticed is how visible tanks are to different people.  I can only put this down to what resolution, graphics card and monitor (dot pitch) the person is using.  For instance, I can spot tanks out miles away but some of our squaddies struggle to see that far.  Anyone else experienced that?

Regards

Nexx

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 12-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 12-18-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Razor

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.skidog.homepage.com
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses, no I'm not going anywhere. AH is the best sim and thats that. I simply wanted to know how many others have experienced the same wierd watermelon I have. I'm gonna keep playing and keep getting killed as many times as it takes to become proficient. But it would be nice to pull off some of these "Holy Cow" shots once in a while myself. That way I can post stuff like that on these boards and leave the rest to Frosty and Ram.  

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Enough!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2000, 11:47:00 PM »
I'm sure it's been hacked and there's hackers now.  All games suffer from hackage on many levels.

Just remember, Aces High ammunition is a little more potent than most sims... sometimes one ping is all it takes.  And there are some wickedly good marksmen playing this game... no I'm not one of them!  

Pepino

Enough!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2000, 05:23:00 AM »
Tanking is a pratice job. Now I can roughly range a tank by its size in my sight. And, yes, there are guys out there that can (and do) kill you as far as 40K+. I thing Nexx is one of the best.

I still remember quite some time ago, me and some other 2 friends trying to sneak V61 in sfterr. Then Nexx spawn. Then all of us 3 killed. Then, and again and again and again....  most of them from very very far.

After that episode, I realized I needed some more practise. Now I can tell that this kind of shooting is not cheating, but LOT of practise. Anybody able to shoot that way deserves a salute. (and maybe the ironbottom award)  

Cheers,

Pepe