Author Topic: Minor connection problems  (Read 336 times)

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Minor connection problems
« on: January 02, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »
Allthough I am not a genius in the computer world by any means, I do know a bit about them and Internet. I understand the connection method of the game but I am having a few difficulties.

1) About everyday, sometimes every other day, I loose UDP and the game crashes back to the desktop. I fire it back up and I am right back in business. This is not a huge deal for me except twice now I have been in Perk Rides. This is somewhat disheartening because, as you can see by my rank and score, I dont get the privledge to ride many perk rides. :)  Is there something I can do to combat this problem? I'll list my specs below.

2) When in Tank Town, Furball Island or other largely populated areas, I get horrible frame rates. I'm talking down in the single digits. Sometimes in a large fight, the NME plane is 400 behind me from a HO merge and then the bullets hit me. Maybe it's time for a new video card? Maybe just a little more System Ram? Suggestions and comments welcome :aok

Specs:
Custom Build PC
AMD Athelon 1.3
ASUS MB
256 Mb Ram (this will be 512 next week)
NVidia G-Force 4 4200 64Mb
DSL Connection through 4 port D-Link Router LAN only
I dont actually need the router anymore as I have a new Gateway Modem with WiFi for my laptop but I dont use it as I use High Speed Cell Card for connection on my laptop. Brand new and fast as Heck!

Thanks in advance fellas! :D
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »
It looks to me that the biggest problem is your system, not the internet. From your specs you are "just" over the minimums recommended by HTC. As you get into heavy populated areas of the map, your system just can't handle all the extra work and crashes.

You can check your conection by downloading the FREE program "pingPlotter" and running a ping plot to HTC's servers. Setting the program to ping every 5 seconds and let it run for 20-30 mins. You'll be able to see if you connections dropping a lot of packets or not, but I think you'll find unfortunately that your connection isn't the problem  :(

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:53:05 AM »
from what i see, i agree... you computer might need some work.. i just got a new computer less than a year ago and im already falling behind the power curve.. i upgraded to a gig of ram and still get crazy warping and poor frame rates.. i see that you have a 64mb card. im running a 128mb and i think that its my thorn in the side.  now im not all that computer savy but i do know that my connection is good, ive shut down all unnecessary programs, defraged, scanned for viruses and spyware... basically ive have trouble shot everything under the sun... i have to say that the video card needs replaced (in my case too)..

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 10:18:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I do have to agree that a new video card is most likely the way I am going to have to go. I'm sure that a new VC and the upgraded memory will solve most of my problems.  

I do have to say, and it's a testiment to the development of this game, that I have played for about half a year with virtually no problems connecting or playing the game. I have have very little warping. I have only had UDP issues since I switched ISP's from Cable to DSL. I may be going back to cable due to this issue. I have run antispyware to rid my system of that and I have shut down all unneeded processes. I defrag regularly. I think I am fortuate that it does work so good right now. I think I'll shut up and count my blessings! :aok

Thanks again fellas!
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »
I had six disco's (and there were more than that, but my "stats" only say six) last month.  I would put it much higer to maybe 10 ish.

That is more than I was disco'd in July-November combined.  

There is indeed something "Wrong".
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:46:46 PM »
The only thing wrong with you gettin booted is that you keep makin it back in Lute.  

:)

J/K

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »
LOL Lute!

I thought the problem was because I jsut switched to a different ISP and I moved from Oklahoma to Phoenix. Maybe there is a little more to blame?:noid

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 09:45:02 AM »
AH is a very cpu intensive game.  since your in phoenix keep an eye on the fry's adds try and get at least a 2.0 cpu and 1 gig of ram.  btw the better frys store is on the eastside at I10 & 60

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »
Hey thanks JTs. I usually use the one at I-17 and Thunderbird as it is closer to my house in North Scottsdale.

Fugitive. I ran pingplotter last night and everything was good until just before the the MA, one of the AT&T hops consistently lost 10-20%. I only ran it for about 10 minutes. Can I post the results here or do I need to upload it the web somewhere then link to it here? Also, in the options for ping plotter, it gives different types of pings (?). Do I want the default or do I want to select UDP?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edit: I cant spell, fixed errors.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:48:10 PM by REP0MAN »