Author Topic: Return to Germany  (Read 557 times)

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Return to Germany
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:14:18 PM »
The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.
Speedbird 206: " Frankfurt , Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."

Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."

The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."

Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, -- and didn't land."

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »
Would have loved to be a fly on the wall of the tower during that conversation!

:rofl
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
now THAT is funny :rofl

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »
LOL you should put that in the O-Club or General Discution so more will see it.

:rofl

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
Return to Germany
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »
I can say without hesitation that he flew there with a different type of cargo!
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
An oldie but a goodie :)

Then there's the one where British Airways refuses to acknowledge German controllers unless they speak English. One of them is heard to say "We're Germans in Germany controlling German space, why should we speak English?", then a distinctly British accent comes across and says "Because you lost the war."

Offline gear

• Silver Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:06:01 PM »
Yeh I seen that one too.:)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Return to Germany
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 09:19:56 AM »
You know, I'm Dutch.

My English is fluent if I may say so. My German is so-so, my French is nonexistent. I work for a German company.

During international meetings we often sit together with Dutch, French and German people. We always speak English (or at least try to in case of the French ). Does it give you a warm glowing feeling inside? ;)

Having said this, I don't think German (or French) air traffic controllers would dare speak German (or French) only. That would be criminally unsafe with the amount of international air traffic over Europe. Sadly language problems have lead to accidents in the past, at least that's true.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Return to Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 10:23:50 AM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
You know, I'm Dutch.

My English is fluent if I may say so. My German is so-so, my French is nonexistent. I work for a German company.

During international meetings we often sit together with Dutch, French and German people. We always speak English (or at least try to in case of the French ). Does it give you a warm glowing feeling inside? ;)

Having said this, I don't think German (or French) air traffic controllers would dare speak German (or French) only. That would be criminally unsafe with the amount of international air traffic over Europe. Sadly language problems have lead to accidents in the past, at least that's true.

AFAIK, all air traffic controllers are REQUIRED to use English for any international flight, according to ICAO regulations.