Author Topic: Anyone know anything about...  (Read 170 times)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Anyone know anything about...
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:03:31 PM »
Mannlicher Model 1895 Repeater Carbine???

Next door neighbor told me a friend was throwing it away, he grabbed it for me and handed it over to me, I'm pretty excited now, knowing what it is, just gotta figure out why I can't get the bolt to work correctly, it's a straight pull, and ever since I cleaned it it jams up once it's dry fired/uncocked and won't push back unless you, A:Kick it B:Punch it C:Put 100lbs of weight on it while standing pushing down on it.

Also, is it missing any pieces? I belive it's missing something from the floorplate for holding the rounds, unless it's the older style load from the bottom one round at a time?

All matching numbers too, dunno if the bolt matches though, can't tell.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:13:17 PM by Hawklore »
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
Don't dry fire.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Don't dry fire.

DUH!

:rolleyes:
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:16:23 PM »
Looks like you are missing the magazine follower and spring. I belive this one loaded from the top with stripper clips or a single stack "enblock clip" similar to the Garand. Get it to a qualified gunsmith to determine if you have a shooter or a wall decoration.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »
Looks like one of the Mannlicher Model 1895 Repeater Carbines made by Steyr for Holland circa 1900. Could also be one of the ones made for Romania, same time frame. Pretty competent gun design, the Mauser replaced it before WWII.

I think I read somewhere that this weapon requires a specialized endbloc loader magazine clip to fire as a 'repeater'.

Looks like all parts are present on the bolt to me, but I don't know jack shcitte about Mannlicher straight pull actions. Knowing wether it ***** (thats c-o-c-k-s, damn this filter!) on closing or opening, how to remove the bolt head and inspect the firing pin, spring and seat are all critical points for proceeding.

Here's about all I can dredge up on it:

Stutzen!

The fun thing about old military bolties is the research. So do yer damn homework, kid. Check page 2 of that article for a teardown proceedure. ;)

Next you'll need a headspace guage to determine if the headspace is 'safe'. Lastly, DO NOT attempt to fire it till a competent gunsmith eyeballs it.

Stay safe, have fun!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 12:35:18 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Looks like one of the Mannlicher Model 1895 Repeater Carbines made by Steyr for Holland circa 1900. Could also be one of the ones made for Romania, same time frame. Pretty competent gun design, the Mauser replaced it before WWII.

I think I read somewhere that this weapon requires a specialized endbloc loader magazine clip to fire as a 'repeater'.

Looks like all parts are present on the bolt to me, but I don't know jack shcitte about Mannlicher straight pull actions. Knowing wether it ***** (thats c-o-c-k-s, damn this filter!) on closing or opening, how to remove the bolt head and inspect the firing pin, spring and seat are all critical points for proceeding.

Here's about all I can dredge up on it:

Stutzen!

The fun thing about old military bolties is the research. So do yer damn homework, kid. Check page 2 of that article for a teardown proceedure. ;)

Next you'll need a headspace guage to determine if the headspace is 'safe'. Lastly, DO NOT attempt to fire it till a competent gunsmith eyeballs it.

Stay safe, have fun!

Never, I don't even think I have the rounds for it..

lol..

I belive it's a wall decoration, I've checked the bore and it was filled with dirt.

Dunno though, I'll see what it's worth, show it around the reenacting community and sell it off to a WWI buff or something.

PS: The gun re-kocks on closing of the bolt.

Haha, I defied the filter yet again!

I really dunno if I wanna keep it either..

It's interesting but not my cup-o-tea to have a wall decoration..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:43:39 PM by Hawklore »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:36:27 PM »
Speaking of straight pulls, has anyone gotten one of those Swiss K31's?  Is that a fun gun to shoot?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"