Author Topic: 109 Flaps  (Read 8217 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2006, 03:31:12 AM »
"As noted several times in this thread; the RAE used several different metering devices and instrumentation for those high speed test dives (as an example rakes to measure pressure distribution). IIRC Morgan&Shackladys book contains some illustration on these devices. They tried to continously improve the methods and also corrected results afterwards once the better corrections became available."

TY, that is what I was wondering.  Is it documented what kind of metering system was used in Spitfire's high speed tests?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2006, 03:50:04 AM »
Originally posted by Charge

TY, that is what I was wondering.  Is it documented what kind of metering system was used in Spitfire's high speed tests?

If you mean those tests where mach 0,89 was claimed with a Spitfire XI, there is IIRC pictures in the report (I have only seen the report couple years ago in the PRO). Basicly a pitot tube but specially made for these tests, in addition there were devices to measure temperature etc.

gripen

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2006, 04:21:24 AM »
Here's an odd question.
CL is based on the airfoil right? The amount of lift created with the airfoil?
If it's right, I have an odd point to add.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2006, 05:09:25 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
Here's an odd question.
CL is based on the airfoil right? The amount of lift created with the airfoil?
If it's right, I have an odd point to add.....

Yes and no.

The airfoil shape of course affects on lift characters of the wing and the limits of the Cl. But the Cl itself is just a number to handle lift of the wing in analyses without physical dimensions of the wing.

gripen

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2006, 05:52:07 AM »
Are there any error correction tables available for Spit as are available for FW?

It would be interesting to compare them to see how much pitot system location affected the results.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »
Charge,
There is at least one in the NACA test report, note that it's not same system as used for the dive testing.

gripen

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »
I haven't followed this thread for quite a while (since page 3 or so) so just in for a quick question as I am too lazy to search through 6 pages.

Was there ever any conclusion to why the 109 flaps were "overlooked" last version? Any replies from HTC? Any (frustration mode moved up a notch) why da hell has there not been a quick fix in a patch to this as it was "overlooked".

Will it be "overlooked" more times before CT?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

storch

109 Flaps
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »
the AvA is a good example as to why HTC must turn a blind eye to the whole LW modelling thing the allies are being trounced even with the nerfed LW planes.  imagine what it would be like with anything closely matching what the planes flew like as reported by FW and Messerschmitt the game would be void of players.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2006, 05:23:42 PM »
Troll....:noid
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »
Originally posted by storch
the AvA is a good example as to why HTC must turn a blind eye to the whole LW modelling thing the allies are being trounced even with the nerfed LW planes.  imagine what it would be like with anything closely matching what the planes flew like as reported by FW and Messerschmitt the game would be void of players.

or you are, in fact, proving that they are correct in their modelling by proving they can be competitive when flown historically.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2006, 05:29:14 AM »
"Was there ever any conclusion to why the 109 flaps were "overlooked" last version? "

What other planes have their flaps overlooked? They all should be fixed at the same time. Too bad that fixing only a few planes looks like an artificial crutch to boost those machines.

"or you are, in fact, proving that they are correct in their modelling by proving they can be competitive when flown historically."

The 109s and 190s can be flown competitively in AvA but that hardly is sufficient to tell about their correct modelling.

It surely was an eyeopener to try SpitIX on AvA last week... :lol
Not so much better than 109 in turning as I thought, but with that aileron speed and cannons it is very dangerous in reversals except that I doubt single Hisso round can take off a wing of a 109 from 600y distance or that Spit was that good in rolling plane especially with speed, not to mention the lack of accelerated stalls in rapid pull-outs...bla bla...:p

109 has its high speed elevator forces nicely modelled so why are the heavy ailerons not modelled in Spits?

-C+

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
109 Flaps
« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
They are.....

storch

109 Flaps
« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »
Originally posted by Charge
"
 I doubt single Hisso round can take off a wing of a 109 from 600y distance 109  -C+
oh come now, surely you are aware that slightly modified hisso knock offs were utilized by the soviet union to shoot down gary powers in his U2.  that whole cockamamie SA missle story was a cover up to hide the true weapons system. and it was a single ping too.  honestly you luftwhiners are really overbearing.