Author Topic: So and so collided with you...yet I die.  (Read 542 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
So and so collided with you...yet I die.
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »
What's the logic to how this works?

No flaming..no accusing.  Just an honest question.

Over the past few nights, I get this frequently.  "So and so has collided with you" yet Im the one dead and flopping to earth.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »
Yeah, I was under the impression that the person who rammed would suffer the damage.  Yesterday in the MA I was rammed from behind and I observed the white text stating that so and so had collided with me and then I was dead and he got the kill.  Go figger...

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
I would assume in most of these cases its because they are filling you full of lead right up to the point of impact.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:13:51 AM »
If you want info, do a search in General as well as in Bug and Wishlist Forum for 'collision'. Youll find many a thread about the subject, in most of which HT and/or Skuzzy posted their say.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:06:23 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
If you want info, do a search in General as well as in Bug and Wishlist Forum for 'collision'. Youll find many a thread about the subject, in most of which HT and/or Skuzzy posted their say.

Well that is true but this subject has been gone over and over and I was stating that my impression was that the person who did the damage by colliding was the one who suffered it.  This was NOT the case yesterday, it was the offender who did the damage and survived.  Yes in WWII the russians did use ramming from behind as a valid tactict but NOT in the game we have here.  Something screwed the setting to allow the offender to prevail instead of the victim.  That is what I was commenting about.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:13:28 AM »
I have :cry about this as well and I still get ticked when some Spit or Lgay gets out turned by me and slams into my tail or belly or some other part of my plane.  I film almost all my fights and go back to see what the heck I did wrong.... most of the time, the other guy wasn't firing because he didn't have position on me. BUt yet I still lose a tail and he goes on his Merry Way. :furious   I just go along with it as there is nothing that will fix it, unless we just have both people die... but that just ups the HO's which are bad enough already.  Someone also explained it was something with connection of your internet, computer speed, rotaion of the Earth and I think the tides of the ocean...... :D
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:20:19 AM »
You have to understand that the message you recieved  "So and so has collided with you" is what YOUR front end saw. So even tho it said  "So and so has collided with you" it is most likely that "so and so's" front end never saw the collision so they suffer no damage. All the collision messages are from what your front end sees. It sucks, but due to the internet delays and such but thats the way it has to be.

There are 2 ways to fix this, first you could come up with new code that would never mess up a collision because of lag and such, or second stop with the HO passes and try a little harder to avoid flying through other planes  :aok

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 07:29:55 PM »
Ummm when im in a bomber and a guy hits me from behind...there isnt much i can do to prevent him from ramming me.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
You have to understand that the message you recieved  "So and so has collided with you" is what YOUR front end saw.  

This is not correct.  There are way too many threads on this to go into it again.  

Collisions come from the persons PC who saw the collision.  Gun hits come from the persons PC who saw a hit.  What would happen if the guy who collided with you had his finger on the trigger?

Gunner
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 11:50:21 PM by GunnerCAF »
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:03:39 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Ummm when im in a bomber and a guy hits me from behind...there isnt much i can do to prevent him from ramming me.

True, thats unfair. Flying Hurri1, that happened to me a lot as well. But i guess well have to live with it, unless we can get the internet connections to work at super lightspeed.

The alternative would be: he passes you at about 100 yds, sees a collision on his PC and both of you go down. Also pretty much unfair.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »
I remember diving on a lone spit 5... I eased back on the throttle, closing the distance to maximize the amount of damage I would do. Just as I fired at 200 yards I got a message 'So-and-so has collided with you'.

It didn't do any damage to me, he died right after because of my guns, but to be flying along and ramming a plane that is bouncing your 6? Laughable...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!