Author Topic: windshield wipers  (Read 314 times)

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
windshield wipers
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:10:20 AM »
I have 3 cars, all three have different intermitent wiping options.

One has just one setting, delay of second or so between wipe.

Other one has maybe four delay settings that can be adjust depending on  how fast rain is coming down.

Third car has one setting, but it senses the moisture on the windshield. It changes speed depending on conditions. If no rain, wipers don't come on at all. If very light sprinkle, it may be 3-4 seconds between wipes. If rain is coming down hard, it will adjust and wiper comes on full speed.

Question is, how the hell does it sense the amount of moisture on the windshield?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
A midget is sitting underneath the hood.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
c&p
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »
A device (10) for operating a windshield wiper (12) is proposed, with a moisture sensor (22) for detecting the wetness of a window that in addition to detecting rain and droplets also detects fog and drizzle. The measured values (Us) of the moisture sensor (22) are allocated incremental values (Ink) by the control unit (16). The difference between two successive incremental values (Ink) is to be added, with a sign (+ or -), in the memory (28) to a sum (.SIGMA.) of differences formed previously in the same way, and when a threshold (S) is reached by the sum (.SIGMA.) stored in the memory (28), the control unit (16) trips a wiper operating mode.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Re: windshield wipers
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »
Originally posted by BigGun

Question is, how the hell does it sense the amount of moisture on the windshield?

There's a infrared emitter/receiver mounted against the glass. If the glass is dry most of the IR rays will "bounce" back to the receiver but if the glass is wet then it reflects rays differently.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
How nice. They can design and manufacture a device that will put on the windshiled wipers for a driver too inept or just plain lazy to switch them on themselves. :O

Can they do the same thing for those drivers who have no freaking clue as to what that little lever is behind the steering wheel on the left side is for?

:furious
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 12:17:52 PM »
Very Old Chineese Secret.....

Have you been "Probed" by Aliens lately?

:huh :O :confused:

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »
What I wanna know is.
I know most states now hav a law wheras if your running the wipers, in the daytime you must also have your headlights on. (when its raining obviously)

Now why arent the car manufactor's making cars that when you turn your wipers on, the headlights come on automatically?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »
BigGun,  I think all have missed the larger question here

Are those windshield wipers slappin out a tempo , keepin perfect rhythm with the song on the radio?

;)

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:38:37 PM »
lol..no tempo..

and thanks staga, an explanation I can understand...torontos sounded like some engineering class.

and Mav..nothing to do with lazi people, all to do with cars with simple luxories...little features like that are nice

another feature has is senses the noise from outside car, i guessing off of speed & other factors...makes small adjustments to stero sound to keep the hearing volume constant.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
Automatic windshield wipers are great for example when an 18-wheeler runs across you in rain and sprays a ton of water on the windshield. The wiper automatically wipes it instantly away before you have time to move your hand to the stick.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:12:57 PM »
Originally posted by BigGun

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wiper4.htm
sand

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 02:32:13 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Automatic windshield wipers are great for example when an 18-wheeler runs across you in rain and sprays a ton of water on the windshield. The wiper automatically wipes it instantly away before you have time to move your hand to the stick.

Ripley,  I'm usually paying attention and turn on my windsheild before the truck passes me ;) ,  although I guess it may be possible for one of those 18 wheelers to sneak up on ya :eek:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »
I don't like to use the wipers on dry glass for nothing. Scratches it.

Besides, when you get used to driving with automation, who wants to worry about such things. U know, sometimes the truck passes you but what do u know.. no splash. :p
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
windshield wipers
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 06:09:53 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
 although I guess it may be possible for one of those 18 wheelers to sneak up on ya :eek:

living in texas youve never had a bullhauler blow by?

here's what i run 03 KW 800hp push the red button 1050hp for 15 seconds. first trans 18spd od second trans 4spd ood.  3.08 rear ends.  top speed on the computer simulation is 152mph.  best i've ever done is 127 mph 10.42et at lancaster, ca. dragstrip but thats with no trailer. i think i could sneak up on you.