Author Topic: Your opinions, do we need to change anything?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Your opinions, do we need to change anything?
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:53:05 AM »
In the ongoing effort to make KOTH better a few suggestions were made during KOTHs and the TOC. Here's your chance to voice your opinion and help keep KOTH running strong.
As usual the majority of KOTHers have to agree if the idea has merit and should be included. If it's a split decision we can always try an idea once and see how it works and then make a more informed decision as to whether we want to include it or not. Keep in mind we don't want to have a rule for every situation and understand somethings will and will not be enforceable as far as rules. We try to keep them to a minimum.

I know as host I've had a few rough spots, like forgetting to turn KS off a few times, but in general I think the transition this year went fairly smooth.
It was a pleasure hosting the event for you KOTHers and I look forward to another good year. Personally I'd like to you all and expecially WMLute for assisting me on Fridays and running the event on Saturday giving me a chance to fly some rounds. Maybe next year I can walk and chew gum; run it and fly it without forgetting something.

Thanks for making it a great year for KOTH.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 05:41:57 AM »
Ok, here goes!

first opinion of many to come possibly-  What  if we could turn on collisions for friendlies after we are Air borne and right before  "FIGHT ON" is called. This would knock out any ability of people being able to fly directly thru their opponent  from straight on "Nose to Nose" for Head On Shots, which is very easily done at the moment without impunity, as well as from any other angle.

In the other Arenas when you fly against your opponent ( the red icon ) you are subject to collisions or rams, why not be subject to the same in the KOTH?

It is kind of weird seeing your opponent's cockpit/fuselage/tail section ----> in your own cockpit when flying in the KOTH tournyment.........as is the case at this time!

edited/added:  if it is possible depending on time constraints, not sure how much more time involved it would take to turn this feature on and off as needed.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 12:39:54 PM »
Ban the flying schoolbus (190a8)!!!
Army of Muppets

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 08:19:25 AM »
Friendly collisions is a possibility but win a single response. It wont happen.
{Get your friends or tell other KOTHers if they do want it post and say so.}
It's not to tough to implement, just one setting to change. Also, from a CM point of view it wouldn't be as noticeable as KS if I forgot to toggle it :)
Seeing everyone else technically is an enemy, it does make sense to me.

Best way to disable the A8, win every round and just not pick it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:29:07 AM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »
This is fuzeman the guy who flies in KOTHs and not the CM.

I personally would like to try at least a few rounds if not a full KOTH with friendly collisions enabled from the start of each round.
Enemy collisions are on in the MA and we're all enemies after the fight has started in KOTHs.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 04:18:39 AM »
one reason i'm against turning friendly col. on is that it causes lag on the server.

granted, w/ 15-40 players like in a koth, it might not be THAT bad, so yeah... we might have to try it next koth if everybody is ok w/ it.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 04:37:33 AM »
Hi there!

I subscribed to AH just this month, but I flew both the friday and saturday KoTH and had a lot of fun. I'll be there next time, too, and, even if I'm just a beginner, I'd like to give my opinion about this issue.

I'm for friendly collisions on.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 05:59:50 PM »
Its worth trying.  If it worked ok, you could leave it as an option for the round winner to decide for the next round.  Did that a long time ago for time of day and weather, it was lots of fun.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 10:10:19 PM »
Day/Night- this is a topic that did come up. I didn't use it for TOC because it was never used during the year and we try to keep settings close to the Main Arena ones, if at all possible.

Do you want time of day or night to be a selection the round winners can make?

That's the CM fuzeman talking, now for the player fuzeman.

I don't like it and can't see a thing.
However, after the Christmas nightime in MA I did want to fly at night more.
I did adjust the gamma and still had trouble keeping sight. Next time I'll turn the lights out in the room.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 03:08:25 AM »
I don't like too much to dogfight at night; as you stated, fuzeman, I can't see anything.

That said, I don't even like flying some of the planes used in KoTH, nonetheless, I fly them when the winner choose them.

IMO, KoTH is the one event in which the fighter pilot's skills are thoroughly tested in any possible plane. The KoTHer should ideally be able to fly and fight with every plane in the planeset. So, I think it's in the spirit of this event if those skills are tested even in any possible conditions.

Hence, despite I don't like it that much, yes, I think winner should be able to choose  time of the day (even the hated sunset!) and, why not, even if to fight over sea or land - I can't see very well even on sea :p (you can choose some map where it can be easily done, for example, Raptor01's North Africa: A1 is a Bish field in Malta, good for fighting over the sea, A8 is a Knight field, in Egypt, ideal for fighting over the desert - no trees there ;) )
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
Speaking of maps.... wasnt there a request for a KOTH map somewhere somewhen? I offered my help in making one, but never got an answer..... KOTH-CMs still interested in a KOTH-map?

On the night/day thing: Would be fun, but i think night visibility depends too much on the used hardware and less on the vision/pilot ability, so id say NO to that one (even though i enjoy a nightfight every now and then).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 06:15:17 PM »
day/night was done by BigMax as hosting CM for the 2004 Tournament of Champions.  We have not used day/night for a regular KOTH.  BigMax allowed it because the TOC was a "Special"thing.

Not sure it would work for the regular KOTH's.  CM Lute says no, flying in the KOTH Lute would love it.

Night fights are a blast, but I worry that the typical KOTH player wouldn't enjoy it.

(we have KOTH maps, it's just a matter of Skuzzy / HT / Pyro somebody getting them converted to AH2.

The OLD KOTH map that I loved so much was a huge bowl, with 20k walls, and 5-6 fields you could up from spaced around the edge of the bowl 2-3k up.  I've recently put in a request at the CM Map Makers Forum for just that map, or one similar churned out for the KOTH.  Pretty easy map, so maybe they could rush it for us.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit