Author Topic: the new CT is fantastic.  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 10:36:30 AM »
Hey,
 I stopped in last night and flew for the glorious Luftwaffe.  I was only able to stay on for a bit, but it was quite fun. I still can’t get the hang of those Luftwaffe plains, but the FM-2 is blue and “danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings.”*

Phaser11

High Flight by John G. Magee, Jr.
*http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/prewwii/jgm.htm
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 10:37:46 AM »
Originally posted by storch
I suggest not removing choices but adding to them and let the players decided what they will fly.  perhaps have the representation of varied fronts by allowing certain planesets at different bases?
 a lot of thought went into that list sable I by no means intend to impugn your information or time line my concern is more with the playability of the set up.

Good thoughts, Storch.  My own view is:  Let's try the historic route this first time.  The setup will only run two weeks, and the plane sets change some every couple of days.  There will be nights when one side or the other takes its turn in the barrel, and I think that can be interesting, simply because it gives you the perspective of what it's like to fly when the odds are against you (like, I don't already know how that feels).  The next night it's the other guy's turn.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »
Hurri IIc was not introduced as a ground attack aircraft.  Sorry Storch, but that is just wishful thinking.

Where is the Lancaster and Mosquito in the list?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 12:01:29 PM »
I was just thinking the same thing Karnak after reading the Mosquito thread - big OOPS on my part.  Let me do a little research and I'll post an update.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:24:48 PM by Sable »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
sounds great!
and yes, please toss in the Mossie as well.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »

day 3 leaves axis with only the 109F leave the 110C in until the hurriI is out. add the A5 the 190A3 should be there
day 7 you are removing the 109F but only adding the 109G2 in back fields????  the A5 vs the spits????
day 8 add the G6

this is ETO only right?  If yes, 109s are limited in mid war. 190s made up the majority of fighters in the west.

btw spit 8 never served in NW europe (ETO).

storch

the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 02:53:35 PM »
I think the warfront is probably generic so the spitVIII should be there.

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 03:30:13 PM »
The Spit VIII is meant as an LF.IX sub ... we could use the XVI, but I think the VIII is a little closer to the performance of a typical full span winged LF.IX, and has the correct period armament.  I also believe the VIII is a little slower on the deck vs. our slow 190A5, where the XVI would be equal or a bit faster.

With regard to the Lancaster, it appears that bomber command made one daylight raid with them in 1942 and then kept to the cover of darkness until spring of 44 in preparation for D-Day.

I'm thinking rear field access on day 6, with it being removed the next day, and then added to all fields again on day 12.  

Still looking into Mossie daylight useage.  Anyone with more info or corrections, please feel free to jump in.  Ultimately it's for the AvA staff to use as they see fit, so the more info the better.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 06:05:42 PM »
day 3 leaves axis with only the 109F leave the 110C in until the hurriI is out. add the A5 the 190A3 should be there
day 7 you are removing the 109F but only adding the 109G2 in back fields????  the A5 vs the spits????
day 8 add the G6

the 109E, 109F and 109G2 served on most fronts until the end of the war with german allies, something you may want to consider. the soviets recieved a few war weary spitVs which also served late into the war.

Storch is right, dont remove the 109F-4 until the G-2 is available at all bases. An even better idea, as he said, would be to leave the 109F-4/G-2 in until the end of the war if for no other reason than to give the Axis something that will turn.

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »
It looks like the Mosquito should come in on Day 9 limited to the rear fields, and then be fully available on Day 11.

With regard to the 109 availability, the reason I phase them out and limit their availability is because the 190 was the primary fighter on the channel front at that time.  For instance look at August of 1942.  This is when the Dieppe raid occured, resulting in some of the most intense air combat of the mid war period in the west.  At that time the Stabs and Gruppen of JG2 and JG26 were equipped entirely with the Fw190.  They each had a Hoehen staffel (10-15 aircraft) equipped with the new Bf109G's, but both units were based in Munich and about to be transferred to Tunisia.    

In the spring and summer of 1943 the 109 makes a return to western front action, as II/JG2 and III/JG26 (about 30-40 aircraft for each Gruppe) both convert to the 109G, and the 8th AF bombers start pushing deeper in Europe and encountering the Bf109 equipped gruppen of JG1 and JG11.

As for the types of 109s available, it's based on what was on the books for the active fighter units that were seeing action in the west.  Yes there were still a few 109E's an F's around in 43 and 44, but they were assigned to training units.  The only "combat" they saw was when some roving US fighters strafed their field and maybe caught some poor student in the pattern.  As a rule, the frontline gruppen were being supplied entirely with the latest models, and were trading in their older mounts (which probably went to the schools) for them.

All that being said, if the setup isn't fun to play then it should definitely be tweaked as necessary.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »
OK, I wasnt aware that there were periods that the 109 was nearly absent. Your setup make more sense after knowing that.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 11:37:48 PM »
.squelch grits

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »
Check 6
Check 6
Check 6
Check 6

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 10:17:10 PM »
A big WTG and Congrats on the AvA!!

I'm having fun in AH again, and the AvA is the reason.  

The fights have been great, and the winging has been awesome.

Batfink, Storch, Oldman, Wild, Shifty, and many more...great fights and even better wingman.

Nice Work!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
the new CT is fantastic.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
Yeah it's been a great week. Nice job tonight Stringer

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV