Author Topic: Need Imput: is the WWII game "Sudden Strike" a good buy?  (Read 670 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Need Imput: is the WWII game "Sudden Strike" a good buy?
« on: April 20, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Saw it at the store and looked at it. Seemed good but I wanted to check to see if it really was. Those box pics always look so cool. Not sure if I wanna buy it yet. I'm still waiting on CM to arrive heh.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2001, 06:00:00 PM »
I bought it a week ago and it has it's good points and it's bad.

It is a Command & Conquer type game but set in WW2.

The graphics are OK but it is easy to lose tanks and people in the trees or buildings.

Missions are not always clear and sometimes it's hard to find that 1 enemy that is left to end the mission.

Saving the game is easy but it does not automatically save the game after each mission.(found out the hard way..lost 6 missions)

In this game your units(tanks, people..) all have limited ammo so you have to be sure to have your supply truck around and protected.

You can kill the enemy on aa and artillary and use them against them.

If you want to move artillary you can have the men do it (slow) or you can hook up a troop carrier(fast).

There are cheat codes for it but it makes it waaay to easy.

press enter and type:

**nofog = reveals map
**superman = take a wild guess

sometimes you have to type the codes in twice to get them to work.

If you liked C&C then you will prolly like this but it's not on the same scale as Red Alert.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
The game is awesome and it sucks at the same time.... Its almost impossible to get your men where you want them too. That results in often pointless loss of your troops.... also its tough to see them...
But the missions are great - and the Russian troops speak Russian  )))
lotsa neat futures like that made me wonder about poor interface....

And yeah - you can destroy almost everything in this game .. buildings, wells.. etc - everything that blocks your view to enemy...

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Sturm

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
Fun as hell but not historical.  I would get it.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"  Famous quote from Animal House, John Belushi.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2001, 03:06:00 AM »
I like it a lot.  Not a game for a realism-freak, but a lot of fun.  And while it's hard to see troops in the trees they do stand out when you pass your mouse over them.

The add-on will be out soon, and it will allow for players to make missions - finally!
ingame: Raz

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2001, 07:48:00 AM »
I really liked it at first, but the missions became a little 'samey' after a while. But most games seem dull to me after a while now.

Worth getting if you are into C&C type games.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
Get Close Combat: Invasion Normandy instead.

Sudden Strike is a strategy game with little strategy, ala Command and Conquer or Age of Empires.  Close Combat is fun, fast, and pays off for good command.

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2001, 09:17:00 AM »
Do the newer close combat games still have all the movies and cool info like they did when microsoft was making them ?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Probably worst thing I find from Sudden Strike, are those awfully hard missions after a few missions.
When you play for germans, and get your first Tiger I's, you'll be already facing IS-2's (uh.. year 42 meets year 44 generally)

Sometimes hard to organize units in an attack, since many units and there happens so much.

Probably most annoying thing that there is, which is actually is behind those awfully hard missions, is the artillery.

In attack to stalingrad mission, my units were quite a toast after the artillery when I tried first time  
I smartened up and used motorcycle to clear up few howitzers for myself and dragged them to safety... 6 howitzer battery works well   (I leveled whole stalingrad house by house, there wasnt much to do after that... talks for the power of howitzers)

In one mission, where has to capture some top of the line tanks from germans as US, theres so much artillery that my units were big toast once again. (and no chance of completing the mission anymore, even with those "super" tanks I got, which didn't blow up on the way back home)

Simply said: Artillery caused it to be uninstalled in first place, after a few missions and many hours.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
good god, that game SUCKS with a capital S.

Its like Z (a C&C clone that had funny robots instead of people fighting), but screwed up. In fact, Z was a LOT better.

Take C&C, get the editor and edit the units. You can make a WW2 like C&C with it. Its a lot more fun too.

Or just get Close Combat 3+  

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2001, 02:18:00 AM »
Well, if you're looking for a tactical game that has redefined computer wargames, get Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.  You can give it a try by d/l'ing the demo at  www.battlefront.com .
ingame: Raz

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2001, 04:33:00 AM »
Beefcake, i can suggest you to try SuSt
online ! what other ww2 rts gives you the
ability to fight against/with 12 people in
realtime ?
We often play 6 vs.6 on a huge map, some
fights takes up to 2 hours some others
are finished very soon, depends on your
skill  

i like SuSt, its fast & fun.

Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.