Author Topic: Widescreen Monitors  (Read 506 times)

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
Widescreen Monitors
« on: January 08, 2006, 07:37:10 PM »
Anyone use them for AH?

Will AH fill the screen/resolution, or is there black bars on each side of the plane?

Offline PapaFox

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.barnstormer1.com
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »
Scrap,
Widescreen monitors will work in AH, but there is a penalty.  I have a Dell 2405 and have run Aces High in 1920 x 1200 resolution. It looks great, but instead of getting more wrap-around width at the sides, Aces High gave me the same sideways view as 1600 x 1200, but it effectively zoomed in and cut off some detail at the top and bottom of the screen that I previously saw at 1600 x 1200. If Aces High could be modified to give you the same detail from top to bottom as a standard aspect ratio monitor, then widescreen would be an improvement because of the extra information on the sides of the monitor.

Unfortunately, since you lose some top-to-bottom view with a wide aspect ratio monitor, it is less satisfactory for dogfighting. If enough people ask, perhaps Hitech will one day modify the way AH handles wide monitors. Until then, I choose to run my AH with 1600 x 1200 res and black bars on the sides.

There is a file which can be modified in notepad in which you can tell Aces High the resolution you wish to run the program in, but I have forgotten that file name. Someone else can add it.
Check 6,
PapaFox

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
You can get new resolutions by editing video8.cfg in settings folder. That way also widescreen is supported although my laptop had problems using the custom resolutions.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
I've got a Samsung 244T 19.2x12 monitor, and I'm able to play AH at 16x12 with no distortion -- I just get two black bands 160 columns wide along the left and right edges of the screen.  I play a number of other games that don't support widescreen in the same way (e.g., BF2), and the result is quite excellent, to my eyes.

I've got NVIDIA cards, and its drivers provide LCD flat-panel settings that let the user select how to deal with non-native resolutions.  One setting will "center" the image; another will scale while preserving aspect ratio.  At 16x12, both produce the same result.  When playing at  a lower resolution, centering will leave black bands around all four sides of the display, and scaling while preserving aspect ratio will fill the screen vertically while leaving the same 160-column black bands along the left and right sides.

This is my first widescreen monitor; maybe others like the Dell use an automatic algorithm to try to "fill" the entire screen when presented with an image in a non-native resolution.

JNOV

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 05:40:21 PM »
As posted above, AH does not give MORE view to widescreen, it just crops off the top and bottom...with TIR its not a big deal but it is a shame HTC doesnt give us better support for widescreen yet, its starting to become more common.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
doh Butt
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
sorry for being a bit slow here but
What's a wind screen monitor??
~S~ RaVe
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 08:58:51 AM »
I think it's one for your car so you can play AH while driving, now that using mobile phones is illegal:aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
Wide screen = 16:9 aspect ratio versus the 4:3 aspect ratio of regular monitors.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Widescreen Monitors
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 11:18:43 AM »
Skuzzy, I know you've mentioned it before, but are these things the way to go? CRT's are just becoming very hard to find.