Author Topic: Recruiting...  (Read 410 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:39:55 AM »
Well, work on my little project is proceeding at a staggered pace (decided to fly more lately, so less work being done). However I've decided that what I'm doing is a bit more than I can handle alone.

I've reached the poing where I could use a hand with some aspects of my terrain. I'm primarily needing assistance with:

* Textures. BIG time. Quite frankly, I suck. I can make something that's passable and resembles what I want, but nowhere NEAR a match for even the default AH textures.

* Modelling. I've got a few specific things here that I'm not sure the best way to go about. Also, while I've done fairly well with modifying existing models to suit my purposes I've got some things that'll require a bit of custom work.

* While I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm going to need some help with infrastructure (convoys, etc). I can figure it out with time, but I'd prefer someone with a bit of experience to help on it and avoid a great deal of error and frustration.

* General mapping. Currently, the map base reference map itself is only partly finished, with terrain layout done for ONE country. Could use a little help with finish that off so I have the layout of the full terrain. Further Recommendations for base distribution and terrain elevation would be much appreciated.

Anyone who's interested please feel free to hit me up either through PM, my e-mail (I think I've got it listed, here) or in this thread with contact info.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

PLEASE, guys, I could really use some help with this, even if just on modelling and skinning so I can concentrate on the terrain. This project is a lot bigger than I can do by myself.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:36:54 AM »
Sax,

Personally I'm working on a map for the MA which takes up quite a bit of time. And many people here are already busy with terrains for the MA, Snapshot, Special events and quite possibly the release of Combat Tour. So the kind of help you're looking for may or may not come.

What arena are you making this map for?
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
It WAS intended for the MA, but after seeing Schatzi's post on the General Discussion forum I may as well drop the whole thing. Not being able to have custom tiles and objects will kill the whole look and character of the map, and I refuse to rip out its heart and soul in the interest of "acceptability." :(

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
Don't forget, Fester made many modifications to his maps and they were accepted in spite of the 'requirements'.  It's my impression that htc doesn't takes wanabe map maker questions seriously, for good reason, so if you believe in it enough, then my best advice is to build it and send it in.

I'd also remind you that all those custom items will probably drop back to the defaults or  trash the map with some future update.  That's why I stay with custom layouts of default items.  That way I only expect to recompile the source files if they break.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:17:24 AM »
Or keep a backup of the custom stuff?

Right now though, me deciding whether to push on with it or not is sort of moot if I can't get help. There's just more than I can do by myself. If I could at LEAST get some assistance with the custom shapes and textures/skins that'd be a start.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Recruiting...
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:48:52 AM »
Saxman,
custom maps take lots of time and effort. We (Kanttori and I) are currently finalizing a custom map which we began building 12 months ago!!!

Just keep on trying to find some-one to work with you. Maybe you could tempt them with some ideas or screenshots of what you are doing.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 03:03:12 AM »
I saw karelia, blauk wtg.Saxman i suggest that you start with building h2h maps, ma maps are very hard to make, and you might get frustrated.
Blauk, for those lakes you made in karelia, did you make coastline or water, i mean model the ground or water?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Recruiting...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:17:57 AM »
Perhaps once I get the area I'm currently working on satisfactorily completed, as it will feature a few of the things I'm doing.

Incidentally, I DID try to build and load this thing into the game just to play with it and see how it looked, but while it didn't give me an error, when I tried to load it all I got was one of the existing maps. I've got some other issues that've come up, but I'll post those in the thread I already started.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Recruiting...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 03:27:33 AM »
duh,
we built coast line objects on water.
I have not been able to build water objects which would work on land.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34