Author Topic: My front end, your front end  (Read 2268 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
My front end, your front end
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
and the server only reacts to what was sent to it.

If my packets are recieved in the blink of an eye ... and my packets report "collision" ... then that is what happens. Now if the guy that I collided with, his packets are received in 5 blinks of the eye ... the server will react at that time and if the packets report "collision" then that is what happens.

Net latency only plays into when the server reacts to what is reported,  

I had a customer complain the other day about his orders getting to the exchange a blink too late.  After extencive research we found that he was only blinking one eye.  Kind of wonder if it makes a difference in AH also :O
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
On a related question, when I poke my eye with a sharp stick, why does it always hurt me?  Yes, I do understand how poking yourself in the eye works, but I just don't think it's fair!!  Maybe 8 out of 10 pokes would be more reasonable?  :)

Gunner

HT, can we sticky this?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2006, 09:27:27 PM »
TC, you made a comment on choosing a slower connect speed to help improve game performance.

Let's say you have some kind of interference on your phone lines.

If you have a fast connection i.e. 33.6k, if I second of interference comes into that line, you'll lose about 33.3k bits of information.

Now, if you had it at 14.4k, and that same 1 second of interference goes into that line, you'll lose about 14.4k bits of information.  

My point is:
So, given the same amount of noise or interference on the same line.  A slower connect speed will lose less data during these interference times.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2006, 01:36:50 AM »
That's not the reason Kermit. AH doesn't send one minute bursts of data to predict future play. :D

One second breakup in connection is one second breakup regardless of connection speed.

What cutting speed DOES do is put less strain on the analog bandwith by leaving more margin of error on interference. The higher speed you go, the easyer the packets get interfered by background noise or other errors.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 05:55:29 AM »
Tilt,

to make it clearer for you, I was refering to the Axisvsallies ( old CT ) arena, when Fork had Friendly collisions enabled.......

Kermit, all that old modem crap was nothing more than that, I realise the difference between analog/digital/optical etc.......

still though, do not understand how we never saw the plane on each others front end , yet we incurred a collide or collision message and one( the first guy ) was sent to the tower, while the second guy never suffered damage and took off from the runway, when he was the one doing the colliding.......the first guy was there in the spot first, 2nd guy spawned on top of him.......

anyhow, it doesn't mateer, it is just an online game/sim..............funnier stuff has happened :D

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
Might be that if a collision really happens at both f.e. simultaniously, the one with a faster connection 'sees' it first and collision happens only on his side.

This should very rarely be the case when flying online.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Might be that if a collision really happens at both f.e. simultaniously, the one with a faster connection 'sees' it first and collision happens only on his side.

This should very rarely be the case when flying online.

Its not a race of whos data get there first and then nullfies the other data info.

When the data (from both FEs) reaches the server ... the data (from both FEs) is analyzed and the results are sent back to both FEs.

One data stream does not supercede the other ... they are independant of each other ... they are asyncronous events.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 03:56:47 PM »
Which is exactly why the slower connection might never see the collision if the faster one processes the data and blows up before the packet is updated to the slower client. Meaning that the faster client blinks in and out in the time the slower client lags.

This most likely isn't the reason though because I don't think there can be that big differences between connections.

If there's uniform behaviour of new plane destroying the present plane, that might be because the spawning client lags a few milliseconds while its loading textures and updating the screen. If the packet of spawning is sent immediately to the server it would be possible that the collision happens and is updated to the server before the spawning client manages to load everything up and register the collision happening.

Speculation.. HT knows.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
I have seen this happen ...

You are Plane A ... you are fighting Plane B. I am in Plane C and Morph is next to me in Plane D and we are in visual distance.

Plane A and B collide/HO each other.

Plane A blows up and disappears.

Plane B continues flight for 2 more seconds and then boom .. he blows up and disappears.

===================

Here is what happened ...

Plane A reports to the server that a collision/pilot head shot has occured ... the server sends data to all in the "area" that Plane A is blowing up and dump its image. The server has no clue that it collided/was HOed with Plane B ... it just knows that a collision has occured or the pilot was shot in the head.

Morph and I are in the "area" and our FEs show the explosion and Plane A disappearing.

2 seconds later ...

Plane B reports to the server that a collision/pilot head shot has occured ... the server sends data to all in the "area" that Plane B is blowing up and dump its image. The server has no clue that it collided/was HOed with Plane A ... it just knows that a collision has occured or the pilot was shot in the head.

Morph and I are in the "area" and our FEs show the explosion and Plane B disappearing.

The event (collision/HO) cause 2 different "threads" (independant of each other) that the server needed to handle ... seeing that the threads are independant of each other, 1 threads reaction will not cause the other thread to halt ... it will still be processed.

Even if the server received both data streams at the exact same instance, they would be both processed to their entirity (in separate threads) and Morph and I would have seen you both blow up simultaneously.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."