Author Topic: Ashcroft's hearings - feeling like an idiot...  (Read 318 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ashcroft's hearings - feeling like an idiot...
« on: January 18, 2001, 05:32:00 PM »
Testifying at Attorney General-designee John Ashcroft's confirmation hearing, Ronnie White expressed anger Thursday that Ashcroft had blocked him from becoming a federal judge by persuading the Senate that he had a history of overturning death sentences.

That evil son of a squeak, Aschroft!

White said that as a judge, he had voted to uphold the death penalty in 41 of 59 death penalty cases he heard. He said that in 53 of those 59 cases, he voted with the majority of his colleagues on the court, and was the lone dissenter only three times.
 ``My record as a judge shows the personal attacks made on me were not true,'' White said.

And he is an idiot at that - how could he argue against such convincing record? Two thirds of death penalty verdicts upheld, only  three out of fifty nine opposed as a dissenter!

But wait... He did persuade the Senate! Are they all idiots in there? May well be! But each senator has a stuff of smart flunkies who actually do the research for them, write speaches, etc. How could have they overlooked it? Couldn't they count?

On the third day of hearings that seem likely to lead to Ashcroft's approval, White described his upbringing in a segregated St. Louis neighborhood, the child of poor, teen-age parents. He said he encountered white children who ``would throw milk and food at us and tell us to go back to where we came from.''

What does that have to do with anything?  Ashcroft may be a racist but there should be some more evidence then him disproving a candidate who happened to be black.

Do you feel like what is really going on in politics is very different from what we are told by the media?
 Even this forum is full of ignorants who think that a president makes laws or controls the economy or education. Not surprising after hearing our mainstream media.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 01-18-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
I want to reply with a well-written post by Cruc from Warbirds off-topic board:

Cruc posted: Sen. Shumer today told Ascroft that his rejection of Ronnie White showed insensitivity to the nation's 'tortured' history of  race relations.

Boy, in spite of all the other stuff, that remark says (to me anyway) much, much more about what liberalism, as it relates to  racial issues primarily, but others in general, really is and espowses (sp?). I mean, it's really all there, when you think about  it.

This philosphy, is essentially about the ability to gain regardless of merit. The arguement is not about Mr. White had the  knowledge and experience or abilities. It was not about the legitmate questioning of his rulings.

It simply was the racist belief that a black judge (not a judge who happens to be black...a big difference here) should have  gained *because* of his color only. So much for the 'content of his character'.

Nevermind the fact that Ashcroft voted for something to the affect of 23 out of 26 positions that were to be filled by qualified people, that happened to be black. Nevermind the fact that over 50 other Senators did not vote for Mr. Jackson either (in fact, most didn't even know he was black). And never mind that fact that a great deal of other people and entities (such as the state and local Sherrif's associations) publically opposed Mr. White's nomination, based on their opinion of his                    rulings.

I am personally very saddened on one side, and angered on another. I am saddened by the tatics. I am angry, as some of the best people I have ever had the priviledge of knowing just happened to be of color (my Marine Corps experiences stand out here), and I consider it a slight on thier honor.

Perhaps I'm just a simpleton. Or perhaps I have experiences in life that have really showed me that skin color really  doesn't matter as there is good, indifferent, and turds of every color in this world. Perhaps those experiences have shown  me to make educated judgements...primarily based on the 'content of character'.

I ask (Mr. Shumer and Kennedy especially), who are the real racists here?

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2001, 10:01:00 AM »
Miko2d - i know that you're smarter then that... come on..

Ashcroft said he didn't support White's nominated because he was SOFT ON CRIME and used case here he recommended against death penitality.
In his own defence he stated that he wasn't a racist because he appointed 25 out of 27 ( don't remember exact numbers ) of blacks that were up for approval. Aka- he appointed "MOST" of those put in front of him.

Now, if Judge white desented in only 3 cases out of 59 - and that makes him weak on crime .. because of 3 cases out of 59 - by this same token Ashcroft must be a rasist - right ?

Point being - Ashcroft tried to use White as a leverage in his bid for reelection. He smeared him based on one verdict out of 59, for his own personal purposes. Usual politics unfortunatelly.

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
I take it you have read the details of that case in question .. the multiple murders by a nutcase who admitted doing them with ample witnesses. This case had zero right in being appealed, reviewed or anything. Ashcroft made the right call in shooting down White's nomination. It had nothing to do with race. Now fat asre kennedy is threating to fillibuster... nice to see kennedy preaching about morality.. amazing is a better word.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE Eagle RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Peda