Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area AH gun shooting day!  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
San Francisco Bay Area AH gun shooting day!
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2006, 11:26:58 AM »
Wow, looks like a great time there guys. I really have to reconsider our travel plans. Perhaps a side trip into cali should be a definite option..... I'm limited in what part of my collection I bring. How is cali on a M1 Garand? I know my carbine has an evil bayonet lug on it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2006, 12:32:23 PM »
Mav
 The state of California still considers the M1 Garand a curio and relick so you can bring them in.

I am not sure on the M1 Carbine but I though you could still buy them here, maybe not though.

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »
M1 Carbines are still legal...for now. I have one and will have to bring it next time.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »
That would be sweet, I have never shot a carbine.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »
GTO,

They really aren't much different from shooting a Ruger 10-22 except for sound. The carbine can be LOUD depending on loads. Really a very fun gun to shoot depending on ammo costs just like the RUGER MINI 14. I don't reload right now as it's way too much stuff to carry in the rig. I just have to choose carefully as I get to the storage location only once a year and can't carry too many in the trailer. They take up too darn much room and I don't consider the trailer to be all that secure. Our pug isn't very fierce either.  :cry
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
It was FUN guys. My shoulder's only a bit sore from all the shooting :) Nice to know the 120 year old 45-70 still shoots better than I can. Highlights include shooting Funky's M1, Russian's SKS and Grun's HK 45.

I just bought a kel-tec su-16ca, starting the 10 day waiting list today. I'll be going to the Los Altos (http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com) range in 2 weeks to test it out. Anyone wanna go? The spot looks cool, and they have some "tin can" ranges. It's an awesome motorcycle ride, anyone have any info on carrying guns on motorcycles? Looks like as long as it's in a locked box it's ok?

g00b

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
g00b, I'll be picking up my SU16-CA on the 27th. I'll gladly join you at the Los Altos range; it's the one I normally go to. I'm looking forward to firing the Su-16. I just ordered a Burris Fullfield 2 Scope 3x9 scope for it.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2006, 05:34:10 PM »
I'm waffling on putting a scope on it. I have a couple lying around. I'll see how our groups compare. Yours with scope, mine with stock irons.

What's up with the tin-can range? We can bring stuff like siloettes or (duh) cans?

g00b

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2006, 06:12:48 PM »
They just allow plastic bottles or cans up to a gallon size. You can fill them up with a water ther if you enjoy seeing the spray.

Offline fartwinkle

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2006, 06:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by texace
I usually shoot at the Fort Worth Trap and Skeet Club on the weekends. It'll be more often when the days get longer.

I've heard of Backwoods but have never been out there. What's the place like?

Its a real nice place $12.75 and no limit on time shoot all day if ya want to.
They have a nice pistol range and a really nice 50 and 100yd rifle range.

And there trap shooting is incredible.
Let me know Imwould meet ya out there any time.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
Someone take pics of the "tin can range" for me please.    I have been trying to convince our range to set up something like that but so far they resist based on the mess it will create.   How do you set up the cans and bottles?  best would be just setting them on the dirt bank.

lazs