Author Topic: Bomb Blast Radius  (Read 538 times)

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:55:46 PM »
When bombing targets that require multiple bombs to destroy, you can make a direct hit with the majority of the bombs, and still fail to destroy the target. The other night I dropped four (4) 500 lb. bombs times three (3) for the formation on a hangar. I made a direct hit on the hangar with the twelve 500 lb. bombs and failed to destroy the target. The area around the hangar was black with bomb craters and part of the hangar was gone, but the hangar was still "up". My delay was set at .35 and I was at about 12k when I dropped. Ever since the last major update, the hangars have become very difficult to destroy even with a perfect bomb drop.
F4jCH

Offline Teebox

• Zinc Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:10:08 PM »
Was it a FH or BH?  May have been one of the indestructable ones.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:27:14 PM »
"Part" of the hanger was gone?  So they could up "half" of the planes?  Seriously though, you may have taken it down, it just didn't catch on fire.  It can be hard to see sometimes if they aren't on fire.  As well there could be other hangers up so you couldn't check the clipboard for the field status on the hangers.  Oh and it could have been an invincible.

Just my .02 though.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 06:59:46 PM »
Originally posted by nirvana
"Part" of the hanger was gone?  So they could up "half" of the planes?  Seriously though, you may have taken it down, it just didn't catch on fire.  It can be hard to see sometimes if they aren't on fire.  As well there could be other hangers up so you couldn't check the clipboard for the field status on the hangers.  Oh and it could have been an invincible.

Just my .02 though.

It appeared that part of the hangars were cratered, but I never got the Fighter Hangar Destroyed message or the Vehicle Hangar Destroyed. I was mainly targeting fh's and vh's. I'll try to take some screenshots tonight.
F4j

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 11:20:02 PM »
Ooooh alright, i'll test it offline see if I can recreate it.  Had some 17's drop on an FH today and it didn't kill it so they might be harder, heck if I know.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:21 AM »
I use a delay of .35 on 1,000lb bombs in B24s at full speed from 14K to have one set hit just behind and just in front of the hanger to make up for misses. 500lbers can't be THAT much different.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 02:20:35 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
I use a delay of .35 on 1,000lb bombs in B24s at full speed from 14K to have one set hit just behind and just in front of the hanger to make up for misses. 500lbers can't be THAT much different.

I used to use a minimum of three 500s per hangar with a delay of .35. This no longer reliably kills hangars with good hits. That would equate to 4500 lbs. of bombs from a formation per hangar.  I haven't been able to make a good enough bomb run on a hangar yet to get a good screenshot but am still working on it.

I made a bomb run the other night on a CV and dropped three 4000 lb. bombs from a lancaster formation directly on the deck of the CV. I got one single "Gun Emplacement Destroyed" message. The bombs hit directly on the cables on the rear carrier deck. That was 12,000 lbs. of high explosives on the deck. the ship was not destroyed. There was nothing much that I could take a screen shot of in this case. It would have just showed the 1 gun emplacement destroyed message.

I made another bomb run the other night with a formation of Lancasters and I laid many 500 lb. bombs down the deck of the CV. I got over 23 Hard Auto Gun/Gun Emplacement/Gun Battery/Armored Auto Gun Battery destroyed messages but the ship was not destroyed. The reason I say "over" 23 messages because they scrolled off the text buffer before I could get the screenshot. I have a good screenshot of the text buffer showing the 23 messages, but I am not allowed to post attachments in this forum so I can't show the screenshot.
F4jCH

:noid :huh
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 02:59:23 PM by F4J »

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:26:05 PM »
For what it's worth, F4J is a veteran cyber bomber from AW thru AH2. So it's not his lack of experience or know-how. There is an issue.

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:26:57 PM »
i was in a formation of B 24's about 15k the other day and bombed a Vehicle base, I had the 4x2000lb bomb package, I was calibrated perfect and dropped all 4 of my 2000lbers X 3 ( formation ) right in the middle of all 3 VH's, I didn't even get 1, the bombs all hit right in the center... Usually I just drop 2 X 2000lbers and it takes all three out, I didn't get any this trip and when I landed I didn't get any perks so it registered as a miss I guess. Weird though, they all landed right in the mid of the 3 VH's, I was looking through my ball turret the whole time and they all hit in the sweet spot, but did no damage