Author Topic: Though this was Interesting.  (Read 602 times)

Offline parin

• Copper Member
Though this was Interesting.
« on: February 07, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
Major Robert S. Johnson (P-47 Thunderbolt)
My wingman and I had become separated, as sometimes happens in combat. We were trying to find some friendly airplanes to fly home with. I had just shot down a Messerschmitt Bf-110, which was my fourth kill. As I pulled up from that dive I saw four FW-190s attacking the bombers. I rolled over until I was upside down so I could watch them, as they were some 5,000 feet below me. I was inverted and continued my dive, shooting while pushing the nose forward to give the necessary lead for my bullets to intercept one of the planes. I was shooting at the leader, and his number three or four man pulled his nose up, shooting at me as I was coming down. I continued the attack, and just as I hit the leader, knocking him down, I felt a thump in my airplane. How badly I was hit I didn't know, as I was very busy. I leveled out after that, and I found out 50 years later that my fifth victory was Hans Philipp, a 206-victory ace from the Russian Front. I pulled up right in the path of a group of Bf-110s and FW-190s coming in behind the four I had engaged. I immediately threw the stick left and dropped the nose. Nothing happened when I hit left rudder, and then I knew that my rudder cable was shot away. I had no rudder control at all, only trim tabs.

...the main thing was to get clear of that cluster of enemy fighters. I dived away with the throttle wide open, and I saw some friendly P-47s and joined up with them. My first thought was to bail out, but I pulled up alongside them and found I could still fly, even with 35 feet of rudder cable piled up in the cockpit. Those planes were from the 62nd Squadron, part of our group. They said, "Sure, come aboard." Ralph Johnson turned out to be leading the flight. I still had the throttle wide open, and he said, "Jesus Christ, Johnson, cut it back!" I was running away from them. Well, I chopped the throttle back and we returned to England, landing at Boxted, which was the first base we came to. Ironically, we were later stationed there as a group. There was one little opening in the clouds below, and I saw there were some runways. At the time, we had a bomber and a Piper Cub_type airplane ahead of us, and we let them land first. They said, "Bob, since you're banged up, you go in first." I told them: "No, I have plenty of fuel, and if I mess it up none of you could get in. I'll just stay up here and come in last." They all landed and got out of the way. I came in a little hot, but I still had aileron control--no problem there. I came in, touched the wheels first, then the tail wheel dropped. I had to hold the left rudder cable in my hand so that I could get to my brakes. The minute I touched down I was pulling on the cable, using the brakes, and was able to stop.
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »
wow, thanks for sharing!

S!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:19:44 PM »
wow that has to suck... and the 206 victory guy did he shoot down 206 planes????
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:10:41 PM »
wow that has to suck... and the 206 victory guy did he shoot down 206 planes????

Negative...the 206 victorys had nothing to do with airplanes...Scholars maintain that he sucessfully made N00bs believe "two weeks" 206 times-  Hence 206 Victorys

:D
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »
what??? and i meen Hans Philips what does the 206 stand for then?
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:57:08 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d

Negative...the 206 victorys had nothing to do with airplanes...Scholars maintain that he sucessfully made N00bs believe "two weeks" 206 times-  Hence 206 Victorys

:D

You sure it wasn't Dose?

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:06:14 AM »
Yes SAS_KID, he did shoot down 206 planes. Spread out between all fronts.

It wasn't that unusual for the Luftwaffe, Erich Hartmann and Gerhard Barkhorn shot down 352 and 301, respectively. But they scored all of theirs in the east.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.