Author Topic: Spit question > rudders  (Read 779 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Spit question > rudders
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »
When did the Mk IX first get the pointy rudder.

The Mk VIII also seems to have both styles of rudder.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »
I think they just had a big pile of rudders and they stuck them on airplanes randomly.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spit question > rudders
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
Originally posted by MiloMorai
When did the Mk IX first get the pointy rudder.

The Mk VIII also seems to have both styles of rudder.

The XII was the first to get the pointed rudder for the entire production run.  Granted it was only 100 planes but that was starting in October 42.  The VII and VIII got it next and I think it was for the same reason, to take on the torque and increased power of the Merlin 61s.

The IXs first seem to get them in the summer of 44 but not consistantly if the photo evidence is to be believed..  You can see photos of replacement IXs with both rudders in the mix.  The XVI had the pointed rudder from the start as well.

You can even see them on the occasional Spit V.  

Seafire XV got that tail as well as it was the navy version of the XII.

Nothing in my stuff gives a specific date on that Rudder, but as far as I can tell it showed on the Spit XII first and then during the production runs of the VII and VIII later in 43.

EN221 was the first XII and it had the pointed rudder.  EN474 is the only surviving VII at the Smithsonian and it has the round rudder.  

Nothing to do with the IX I guess, but I get that way sometimes when it comes to Spits :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »
Hey Guppy, do you just know what you collection has/doesn't have or do you actually look it up every time someone asks?
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Hey Guppy, do you just know what you collection has/doesn't have or do you actually look it up every time someone asks?

For the most part I just know what I have after all these years.  I don't quote stuff from memory but the shelves aren't that far from the computer here so I know which book to go to if need be :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:36:12 PM »
No his brain is just a massive reference book. :p
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
It scares me... :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
Thanks Dan. :aok  

So could it be said the pointed rudders apeared on other Spits after the Griffon powered Spits, with their large torque, used them. The Merlin Spit's power was increasing so the larger rudder would be useful. The bubble canopy Spits would need them, for sure.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spit question > rudders
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 11:10:54 AM »
Originally posted by MiloMorai
Thanks Dan. :aok  

So could it be said the pointed rudders apeared on other Spits after the Griffon powered Spits, with their large torque, used them. The Merlin Spit's power was increasing so the larger rudder would be useful. The bubble canopy Spits would need them, for sure.

Considering the Spit XII was delivered with the pointed larger rudder from the beginning and that 41 Squadron got them in February 43, I think it's a safe bet.

The VII was first delivered in May 43 to 124 Squadron and the early ones had the rounded rudder.  The VIII didn't become operational until June 43 with 145 Squadron and the early VIIIs also were rounded rudders.

So the earliest example of the Spit with the pointed rudder is DP845 the prototype Spit XII in the late summer, early fall of 1942 from everything I can find.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters