Author Topic: About the a6m5b  (Read 531 times)

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
About the a6m5b
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
I just started playing only a few months ago and i like the a6m5b. It just seems to be so slow like only 200 mph 300 at the most ussaly if i dive some. But is it always this slow? And could anyone give me any advice on this plane.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline slimey_J

• Zinc Member
About the a6m5b
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
Heya chief,

Unfortunately, yeah, the zeke is always that slow.  You might want to look at the A6M2, as well. It handles speed a little bit better than the A6M5b. The tradeoff is that you have less firepower and you're even more fragile (yeah, it's true).

As for advice for the plane, I'd point you to Soda's AH page for starters.

http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm

Cheers.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: About the a6m5b
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
Originally posted by AirFlyer
I just started playing only a few months ago and i like the a6m5b. It just seems to be so slow like only 200 mph 300 at the most ussaly if i dive some. But is it always this slow? And could anyone give me any advice on this plane.

Advice? Yes, try out another plane. The zeke, while being easy to fly, is a crutch. It turns well and is very forgiving. It is too slow to be of much good in the MA. While it can be fun I'd suggest you move on to other planes. If you want a somewhat forgiving airplane that will teach you a lot of piloting skills move over to a P51D and fly it for a while. It can be slow to accelerate but can get fast and maintain it well and will teach you a lot about flying. Better yet swing into the Training Arena (TA) and get some quality stick time with a trainer.

How this helps.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
About the a6m5b
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 07:32:37 AM »
The A6m's have their place. They work well for fleet &  field defence, where the extra turn ability really helps.  

Takes very good SA to survive a prolonged furball in one though, as fast movers will keep trying to get a clean shot when your busy avoiding someone else.

Slimey is right about Soda's AC pages, awesome resource.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
About the a6m5b
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
The Zeke is not a crutch. It takes patience to fly it well. It is not fast, and does its best work below 250 mph. Get it faser than that and its turn  becomes sluggish.

It will improve your SA, simply because you aren't able to really effectively extend away from your opponent, or extend out of a furball. What you need to to with it is work it in it's envelope. Force your opponent to slow down and fight your fight.

It can, and does, do remarkably well in base and fleet defence. Fighting with a zeke (or against one) is like a knife fight in a phone booth.

Echo Soda's A/C pages. Great resource.

If you want to learn this aircraft, Ren is spot on with hitting the TA and spending some time with a trainer. I would recommend that if you do hit the TA fly disimilar aircraft. IE have the trainer (or your opponent) fly a pony, hog, spit etc. Flying zeke vs zeke will only sharpen the knife. It won't help you learn to throw the knife.

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
About the a6m5b
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 09:54:33 AM »
Welcome to Aces High, AirFlyer!

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
About the a6m5b
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:26:02 PM »
yea and the zeke is only good if you fly it in a slow turnfight. So if you engage someone up high try to get them low and slow and if you fly the A6M2 be very careful for it doesn't have ANY armour like the a6M5 does which is light around the fuel tank or pilot i belive. Also the ballistics of both of there guns suck so fire from D200 or less and don't even try to HO someone and welcome to AH.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
About the a6m5b
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 06:59:15 AM »
Originally posted by SAS_KID
yea and the zeke is only good if you fly it in a slow turnfight. So if you engage someone up high try to get them low and slow and if you fly the A6M2 be very careful for it doesn't have ANY armour like the a6M5 does which is light around the fuel tank or pilot i belive. Also the ballistics of both of there guns suck so fire from D200 or less and don't even try to HO someone and welcome to AH.

This is good advice.

For pure flying pleasure, the A6M2 and the Hurri I are probably the most enjoyable planes in AH.

- oldman