Author Topic: Dial Up  (Read 338 times)

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« on: February 17, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »
Ok, I know we have  some people like me that is still on dial up here. What can we do? I live way back in the stick's, heck my cell phone will not even work here.I herd that satilite will not work for gameing.Anybody got any idea's.Be nice now.

GWD

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Dial Up
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
I used dialup for a long time, it is ok.
As long as the connection is stable and variance is not jumping up and down you can live with a slightly higher ping time. It's the overall stability  that matters and not loosing packets that counts. If your ping times are under 300 or so it should be OK.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Dial Up
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:35:37 AM »
I used to play from 7000 miles away in Guam on dialup with no warping, vox probs, etc.  My ping was at 325 ms.  Now I have DSL in Guam and it is 210 ms with no warping.  My cable in Hawaii is good at 125 ms and no probs.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »
I use to date a girl from Guam,Boy was she fine. Anyway I'm not really having problems it's just that everyone seems to run a little faster than me. Like me and a squad mate will be in the same plane side by side and he will slowly pull away from me.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Dial Up
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 11:22:41 AM »
I have a 130 ping on dial up , it took me about a year of trying different isp's before i found my current one. I've found that the local isp's are usually the best for ping , and variance .  Variance is more important than ping , I'd rather have a 200ms ping with little variance , than a 100 ping that jumps to 200 and back .

There are things that you can do to help playing on dial up. Check your phone lines , make sure that your not ganging a bunch of device's before your modem connection . You can  find the AT commands for your  modem chipset and look at the Signal to noise ratio (SNR)of your phone line,and it will also show if the connection retrains (how stable your connection speed is ,and if it has to lower the initial connection rate to stay connected ).If your modem is retraining you will get the dreaded lost udp message . You will  have to lower the connection speed .

Disabling V.90 will sometimes fix a problem connect , it helps to make the connection more stable and reliable, Aces doesn't need alot of bandwith so lowering your speed some isnt a problem . It can be done with a modem string , you will have to post what brand modem you have along with the model, and i can find one for you to try .

A good harware modem helps gaming on 56k , I have a usr 5686E External and out of all the ones ive tested it seems to work the best in my situation . They are a little pricey (around $100) but worth it if your going to be on dial up for a long time .  A hardware modem also takes the load off the cpu , it handles all the processing of info itself. If you dont want to spend than much , you can look for a controller based modem , if in doubt find one that supports linux , then you will be sure its not a winmodem (software) .

If your looking for more bandwith , you can shotgun two modems together for a theretical 106kbps connection (53K is the limit of 56k due to regulation).  Depending on the connection  speed you are currently getting . Id guess if your really in the sticks its prolly 28.8 or lower, so doing this probably isnt cost effective due to the cost of another phone line , and isp subscription.

ISDN ,which is a digital phone line that is normaly 64k , is available in most rural areas, and  can be bonded  to make higher speeds . Isdn can be expensive , it fluctuates from state to state. Some people can get residential for $50ish a month while others have to pay for bussiness isdn for  $100ish a month ( i know NEW YORK doesnt do residential anymore). If you look into this beware of HOUR  LIMITS . I tried to get it here but the local CO didnt have the right switch to handle it .

Well there is a start , as you can see ive had to deal with dial up for many years . My luck has changed and the cable company is wiring my street next month . People who have broadband really dont know what its like to be stuck on dialup , most people think your just too cheap to get a better connect. My email is Rukkee@toast.net , feel free to drop a line , i'll help in anyway i can , i know the feeling . Oh btw after next month my external usr will no longer be needed , if you can wait that long you can have it cheap hehe.   38maw

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »
Thank's 38ruk.
    My ping runs about 180.
 I running a Generic 56k data fax modem so it say's.
In the extra initialization command,I have ATZ witch puts me at 921.6kbps.
I have never heard of ISDN do thay use your old phone line or do thay have to run a line just for it?
THX again

GWD

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
Dial Up
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
ISDN works on your existing phone lines . Atleast that is what i was told when they were going to install mine, althou it fell threw.

EDIT
the 921.6 kbps you are seeing is the connection between the modem and the computer . Its like opening a garage door so an ant can come in . 8)
If you take that int string of atz out what speed does it show when connected ?

This is the MS isdn prices from bellsouth .  Oakland MS has a isdn access number , so it might be  available to you .

The Flat Rate Threshold Pricing Plan allows up to 200 hours of local usage each month per DSL Pipe. Customers are billed .01 per minute for any usage over the allowance.

Packages Installation//Charges Monthly//Charges 2-YearAgreement
   S     $196.00                         $71.80                      $67.80

EZ1   $200.00                         $71.80                      $67.80

EZ1A $203.00                         $73.80                      $69.80

EZ2  $204.00                          $73.80                      $69.80

EZ2A $207.00                         $75.80                      $71.80

Note: The prices quoted do not include any taxes or municipal charges which may apply
Good luck !   38maw
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 02:38:22 PM by 38ruk »

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
38rok,
  It run's about 28.8 without the string.
How did you find out the prices for isdn from bellsouth?
I am going to call them monday and see about getting  isdn.
Thank's again for all your help.I know of one squad mate that ,like me has been looking for anouther way to connect. he well be glad to hear about this to.

GWD

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
Dial Up
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »
i just typed oakland miss isdn into google , then a bell south isdn access number popped up , so i searched bell south and found this.
  http://www.bellsouth.com/residential_isdn/isdn_packages.html

Im not sure that they make new Isdn terminal adapters anymore (kinda like a 56k modem for isdn ) you will have to look, its an old technology. Bell south doesnt provide one ,most providers dont. I bought one off ebay for $40 used and never used it . Its a 3com /usr 3468 external terminal adapter with phone capabilty , it was recommended by the guys in the isdn fourm over at dsl reports . If you procceed with this those guys know their stuff and are very helpful . Anyways if you want the USR T/A ill sent it to ya free, i have no use for it at all  . I never used it so i dont know if its good or not . It was sold to me as in perfect condition.  GL 38

Oh btw those prices are for 128K, 2X64k channels  . people i talked with  on isdn ping in the 40ms range. and downloaded 12-14kb/s with compression .

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
Thanks again 38ruk. I was checking the site out now.I will send you a  e-mail monday.Boy  I hope I can get ISDN.It takes forever to download one photo. I think it took me 5 hours to download AH.

GWD

Offline heatedpitot

• Zinc Member
GWDJRR
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »
Here is a site I used many moons ago when I had dial-up.  Maybe you can find some things here of interest.

http://modemfaq.home.att.net/

At least its a good starting point

SS10
in the Great Dismal Swamp in the Great state of North Carolina!

Offline GWDJRR

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Dial Up
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
I will check it out Thanks SS10.

__GWD__