Author Topic: Are you a homophobe? Take the quiz.  (Read 2727 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Are you a homophobe? Take the quiz.
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
homophobia doesn't mean being afraid of a homosexual person or persons, it is an internal fear that "YOU" may have these feelings...the phobic person will repress/supress these feelings unconsciously.
It is this fear that prompts phobic people to act threatened when they see a homosexual or homosexual behavoir. That is what is not normal.

This explains what happened in Boston this past week. The only threat to the attacker was his own internal fear; He projected this unconscious threat onto gay guys he never met - hence: homophobia

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2006, 02:48:42 PM »
Hi MT,

The stat was a cite from a counseling journal published a few years ago, I've did some tracking since and found they pulled the stat from another report which miscited the document. I suspect they probably meant to cite a paragraph from a different report released by the DoJ in July 2000 "Extent, Nature, and Consequences of Intimate Partner Violence":

"The survey found that same-sex cohabitants reported significantly more intimate partner violence than did opposite-sex cohabitants. Among women, 39.2 percent of the same-sex cohabitants and 21.7 percent of the opposite sex cohabitants reported being raped, physically assaulted, and/or stalked by a marital/cohabiting partner at some time in their lifetime. Among men, the comparable figures are 23.1 percent and 7.4 percent."

So thank you for noting the problem in the cite. I'll withdraw the original statement for the sake of argument. If you want personal experience in counseling in terms of "intimate partner battery" the highest number of incidents I've seen and discussed with other counselors, is from single relatively promiscuous women in multiple short-term relationships. The lowest is from couples married 7 or more years. The testimony from other counselors I've spoken with tends to confirm that pattern.

Anyway, Mea Culpa. My apologies for citing secondary sources in the first place. When it comes to scripture, theology, religion, and history I can usually cite the originals, but when it comes to crime stats, I admit most of my contact is via secondary or tertiary summaries.

- SEAGOON

Originally posted by midnight Target
Seagoon, you quoted a statistic "The Justice Department report "Intimate Partner Violence 1993-1998" released in May of 2000, for instance, indicated that domestic violence occurred in 25-30% of homosexual households"

I guess you never read it (the DoJ report) or you get your stats second hand from an unreliable source.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:22 PM »
xtoronto.... I have never heard of a phobia that was based on your fear of becoming the feared object.   That just seems weird..

But say you are right.... there can't be more than a tiny sliver of a percent of people who are afraid that they wil become homos so act as you describe..  certainly not enough to throw the word about so much.

lazs

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2006, 03:51:42 PM »
lazs, here's a definition to what I'm referring:

Projection: Projection is one of the defense mechanisms identified by Freud and still acknowledged today. According to Freud, projection is when someone is threatened by or afraid of their own impulses so they attribute these impulses to someone else.

For example, a person in psychoanalysis may insist to the therapist that he knows the therapist wants to rape some women, when in fact the client has these awful feelings to rape the woman.

source

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »
I scored 41, but I'm subratcing 10 points because I was eating a banana during the quiz...

22. It bothers me to see two homosexual people together in public.

the $7 charge for a bottle of budweiser bothered me during the lesbian sorority girls stage show

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2006, 05:21:51 PM »
Originally posted by Debonair
I scored 41, but I'm subratcing 10 points because I was eating a banana during the quiz...

the $7 charge for a bottle of budweiser bothered me during the lesbian sorority girls stage show

LOL!
If you feel the need to subtract 10 points, I don’t think that you were EATING that banana.

eskimo

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »
One thing in this world there's a real shortage of is love. Too many people just don't realize how precious it is, in any form.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2006, 10:33:13 AM »
xtoronto..  that is called projection and not a phobia.   It like firearms... people either fear them because they project or because they are phobic...  two entirely different things.

I think that using the word "homophobic" in the wrong way is indicative of an agenda.

lazs