Author Topic: Elements - "Wingman – Element Leader" Feature  (Read 572 times)

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
Elements - "Wingman – Element Leader" Feature
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:43 AM »
I suggest a new feature, a kind of mini-mission, that would encourage teamwork and add another element of realism to AH. While choosing a plane in the Hanger, a player could also choose to be an Element Leader for, or a Wingman with, some other player who chooses to accept.

At the HANGER level of the clipboard, on the panel with the list of planes, would be added two new buttons: [EL LEADER] and [WINGMAN]. The player selects the plane s/he would like and then clicks, for example, [WINGMAN]. The player is then displayed on a list with everyone else who has clicked this option to be a wingman.  Then, like the MISSION interface, everyone will be able to see the list, and if someone wants, they click the name to be the leader for this wingman. They fly the plane chosen by the wingman. The element leader and wingman are automatically tuned to each other in the text buffer, and a unique element VOX channel is assigned. The Element Leader option is virtually the same, except someone will choose to be the wingman. By offering both options, Element Leader, and Wingman, you encourage experienced pilots to fly with others as leaders, and allow less experienced pilots to fly with others as wingmen.

I would suggest changing the name of the menu entry MISSIONS at the first level of the Clipboard, to MISSIONS-ELEMENTS and upon clicking it, the user goes to the MISSIONS level, and the panel automatically opens with the list of current Missions, the list of Element Leaders, and the list of Wingmen.

Best Regards,

Cement
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 05:35:09 AM by hacksaw1 »

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 07:37:43 AM »
You can already assign a wingman using the .wingman PLAYERID command. This highlights your wingman in a different color (if you have it set up that way in your options), making it much easier to track him / her in a fight.  All you have to do then is decide who is the element leader.
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:26:58 AM »
Yes sir, I was aware of the current option.

But to use it what do I do? Type in the text buffer every 30 seconds, "Hey I'd like a wingman" as the text buffer scolls relentlessly upward? Do I clog up VOX by asking every min, "Anyone need a wingman?"

If there were a fixed location on the Clipboard to list anyone wanting a wingman or to be a wingman, then I think there would be more "loose deuces" and "finger fours" flying around, making life as a solo pretty...interesting. I think it would add a dimension to gameplay. I also think the coding for this option would be a duplication of a substantial amount of the existing missions code, with some modifications, so it might not be much of a time investment from AH's side.

It's an idea.

All the best.

Cement