Author Topic: Gas $5 a gallon in Europe?  (Read 3369 times)

Jerry B

Gas $5 a gallon in Europe?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2000, 05:29:00 AM »
Methinks the crisis in the UK would be lessened somehwat if we still had a petroleum industry...

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2000, 05:35:00 AM »
macchi did u ever get ur driver licence .
Damn the feulcosts in Europe the car isn't the biggest polluter anymore.

Public traffic causes pollution too and ihate it.

Let me have my freedom too drive my beetle dammit.

if we all where on public traffic the economy would get down. coz publictraffic is a waste off time.

I enjoy driving it is a hobby.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »
Jerry B - too right.

Also, its shocked me how little it took to bring the country to its knees - we must be so close to having a fuel shortage all the time.

BTW - the protest ended last night - the protesters have given the government 60 days to do something about the situation.

It will be interesting to see what we get out of this.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Macchi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2000, 06:32:00 AM »
Sure i have a driver license. I am even an educated car mechanic specialized on SAAB.
Sure every traffic causes pollution, but a bus with 60 persons or a train with 500 persons in will produce WAY less pollution per person than 1 car!
Silly argument to drive your beetle. Btw fine car, heating always runs in summer and never in winter (ex Kharman Ghia owner)  

Macchi

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »
 hehe public transportation in Houston. Why build more busses when you can build 3 new stadiums for only 47 times the price of the new busses.  Santa, come to houston some time    I think it's like 60 miles across houston at it's smallest part, probobly more like 80 now.  We have downtown located somewhat in the center of town.  But only about 2% of the city works there.  Well that's the "hub" for our public transportation system.  If you want to go anywhere you've got a 1hr. bus trip downtown, then another hour where ever your going. Try transfering busses in downtown houston by yourself at 12 am sometime  

Jig, I have to disagree with you.  The freeway system in Houston is one of the best in the nation.  It has a couple of problem areas due to construction, but the system as a whole functions very well.  I  can get just about anywhere in town in 30 min.  Of course during rush hours it's a cluster F, but that's only about 3 hours out of the day.  Oh yeah, the Gallerea area doesn't count, there's traffic there 24/7.
udie

Jerry B

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2000, 10:21:00 AM »
Dowding -

They should've done what they did during the power strikes in the '70s - start digging into the big fuel stockpiles the armed forces have. I bet naff all will change really tho', don't you (apart from perhaps a 'suprise' fuel tax cut in the next budget before the election   ) ?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
Europeans can't relate. Their cities (towns) are not your New York, Atlanta, Dallas <put your big city here>. When I lived in England, there were more people on the bus than in cars as most could not afford their own transportation and the British had a superior public transportation system compared to the US as buses go. It was the norm there. It isn't here.

The entire mindset is diff there. We are in more of a hurry (for better or worse) than the typical Brit or European. Even more so in the larger cities than in the rural areas. Less vacation, more hours on the job, etc.. As for bikes, hehe, yea, try that in west central Florida - just don't sit next to me without taking a shower 1st   Humidity plus 90+ degree heat is something else our beyond the big pond neighbors are not familiar with.

I don't think any gov is doing the gas price thing for the environment. It's just greed on the oil producing countries and oil companies (heck, they aren't going to lose their profits). In the long run, it can wreak the economy or start another war  

Eagler  
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by Udie:
hehe public transportation in Houston. Why build more busses when you can build 3 new stadiums for only 47 times the price of the new busses.  Santa, come to houston some time    I think it's like 60 miles across houston at it's smallest part, probobly more like 80 now.  We have downtown located somewhat in the center of town.  But only about 2% of the city works there.  Well that's the "hub" for our public transportation system.  If you want to go anywhere you've got a 1hr. bus trip downtown, then another hour where ever your going. Try transfering busses in downtown houston by yourself at 12 am sometime  

Jig, I have to disagree with you.  The freeway system in Houston is one of the best in the nation.  It has a couple of problem areas due to construction, but the system as a whole functions very well.  I  can get just about anywhere in town in 30 min.  Of course during rush hours it's a cluster F, but that's only about 3 hours out of the day.  Oh yeah, the Gallerea area doesn't count, there's traffic there 24/7.
udie

Ugh you outta try coming from Baytown down I-10. 59 was a mess too when they did the blasting. I guess I hate Houston traffic because I'm not exposed enough to it. (and I end up nearly getting run over in the Gallerea area because it's the only remotely close CompUSA in the area, and I drive 2 1/2 ton truck that sits up so high I lose passenger cars under the nose) Fek it. I can't drive down I-10 anymore, the stupid semi truck law they passed blocks the entrance lane, it's even more dangerous when they were in the passing lane. And the right lane is totally nuked, my truck road walks so bad I can't hardly hold it on the road. Take into account the squeezes on the overpasses with over-sized construction equipment getting off and on the interstate. Of course this is all east of the San Jacinto brigde. But still the Fred Hartmann bridge was a frikin joke...it only took till the thing was 3/4th up before they found out they had bad steel. Sheesh. Sure beats the tunnel tho. I like coasting down the other side.

- Jig

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2000, 04:20:00 PM »
Ok i use my car for work too i work in 3 shifts by the way. There no busses leaving at 0500 also.

And i don't wanna wake up so early too walk too any busstation making me hasty too get the bus especcialy not early in the morning.

So now i can wake up at 0530 and get on time 0600 (not driving slowly   ) If i had to that with a bus i would have wake up at 04:45 catch line A to point A where i must take bus B to go for point B where i can get the bus to point C (where i work) noway public traffic is as effiecient as autocars. it costs to much time .

Yep my heater is messed up lol
but i understand u don't wanna drive anymore too, without your karman ghia damn terrific car.

Saab only frontwheel drive not as much fun as backwheel :lol

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2000, 05:57:00 PM »
Friend was a VW freak: 1303S with 2,3liter engine with 170-180hp. That thing beated all GSi/GTi cars with wide marginal  
Some people looked funny when we pass them in motorway 150-160km/h speed showing only 3 finger (third gear you know ) on side window  
Later he build a new, more powerfull version for a buggy and that car almost could fly...
Bad thing was the engine needed to be rebuilt almost as often as oil change.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2000, 06:02:00 PM »
 Price of the crude oil went up from $10 to over $30 a barrel recently.
 Main reasons:
 OPEC cartel is a monopoly. They set the price and limit the production. First they drive the price to $10 and knock western producers out of business, then they drive prices up. Western producers are afraid to invest in oil production now because the same can be easily repeated.
 If western goverments introduced a sliding tariff on the price of oil so no matter how cheap OPEC would sell it, it would cost no less then $18 on the western market, the western producers would be guaranteed some profit. North sea and Texas oil production would resume and west would be less dependent on OPEC's whims. Then OPEC would not be able to drive the price through the roof again.

People in the western countries, especially in USA after few years of great economy and cheap gasoline started buying huge gas-guzzling all-terrain vehicles even though they drive on paved city roads.
 People buy bigger houses made of cardboard that require lot of heating in the winter and air-conditioning in the summer.
 So by those actions we are becoming more dependent on the same Arab countries that produce oil.

Well, yu want to drive that moster car - you pay for it.

The electric cars are roadkill. You have to burn fuel and transport electricity and that fuel. You also have to invest billions in infrastructure (more fuel), produce expencive batteries, dispose of them properly, etc.
 Since plants are more efficient at burning fuel, you get at most 20% improvement for all the years and billions spent.
 It is much more realistic to improve the fuel efficiency of the current cars by 20% by using modern technologies and materials.
 Or we could build more nuclear stations deep underground. Those may blow up and poison us. Burning fuel definitely poisons us now.

How come US is hit the least by the fuel prices? Because americans had their lesson in 70s and economy now is much more fuel efficient.
 You can and exercise or run near a busy american highway. Whenever I step our into the european street, I smell the gasoline even if there only are a few cars around - fuel efficiency and air quality standards are  dismal. Most of the europeans smoking on top of that, and you can forget jogging in the city.

miko

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2000, 06:07:00 PM »

Originally posted by bike killa:

btw can someone change "level" of my life from Nightmare to Easy mode

cheer up bike. There is a lots of levels between Nightmare and Easy. Took me twenty years to get there.  

mietla

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2000, 06:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by Macchi:
People should better change to public traffic (if they have the luck to live in a fre land which gives you this opportunity).

you do that, and I'll keep driving my beloved SUV. This way everybody is happy.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2000, 06:30:00 PM »
Miko
I know only Finland but were those "Europeans" too:

Most of the cars sold here are 1,3-2,0 liter "family cars"; Using unleaded fuel (added chemical oxygen) and 3-way catalysators (got a law for those too).
They took about 6-8 liter 95 octan fuel in 100km. Dad got a Citroen ZX 1.4; 5,5 liter/100km.
So how's that fuel efficiency again ?

edit: 5,5liter/100km = 1,45 U.S Gall/62Mile = 43miles/gallon

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 09-14-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2000, 08:55:00 PM »
Actually Stega.. more than half the cars sold here match those stats too.  Well.. maybe not 1.3 liter... more like 1.6-2.2 liter.  We use unleaded fuel only (some places add ethanol).  If you get the economy cars, you can get 40 mpg.  There is a VW Jetta selling well that gets 70 mpg (turbo-diesel).

Most of the big stuff is either in trucks or older cars.

BTW... I used to have a 150 hp jetta  I liked it... but I needed a station wagon so I had to trade it in on my Audi.

AKDejaVu

AKDejaVu