Author Topic: why does this happen??  (Read 445 times)

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
why does this happen??
« on: February 04, 2006, 07:37:22 PM »
Need some help guys! Everytime i log on to AH, after about a half hour so, my computer just SHUTS OFF!!  I dont know whats up, and it ONLY happens when i play AH, nothen else!  Is there something wrong my my AH program, or is HTC pissed cuz i havent paid my bill yet, which is true, gotta wait till payday to pay for this month!! Dont know whats up, any ideas???
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »
i dont know, but i seem to have a similar problem where i keep augering 2 minutes after take off.  i think i have caught a virus called noobitis, it certainly has effected my flying and aiming too.:confused: :(
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline nsty1

• Copper Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
You could post more info of your system,
certainly sounds like something serious is taxing your system(video maybe)
and if you're running xp and set to re-start/shut down when problems arise
well......

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »
where would i find the info on my computer???  I did just install a new graphics card and it started right after that!  But a lot of stuff got messed up after i did that.  Put in a more high powered one and i thought i messed XP up so i did a system restore and lost EVERYTHING after it was done, EXCEPT all my dads stuff!!
Joedog31

Offline nsty1

• Copper Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
Someone correct me if i'm wrong,but i believe you'll find that option
to shut-down/re-start for errors under bios (restart system hit "DEL" key"
for some PC's
If you have just installed a new Video card and your problems started right after that,can you check to see if the cooling fan is working?
Do you have any  monitoring software in your system ?
And why would you think XP got messed up after installing a new card?
now i'm just plain curious,will still help all i can,still curious :huh

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:36:41 PM »
mine used to do that due to overheating..i have a buzzer that goes off but not all systems do..u need to post a more detailed description of the prob...

Offline Jethro_Bodine

• Zinc Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »
wait a second, what graphics card did you get?
Spicoli

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 11:39:09 PM »
i just bought a Nvidia XFX GeForce 6200.  It doesnt have a cooling fan attached to it.  So here is what happens in detail.  After awhile in AH, my monitor goes black, and the little yellow light by the ON/OFF switch turns orange. I really have no idea whats up with it??

The reason i thought XP went out is because after i put in the new graphics, not the one thats in now, but a more powerful one, it would get to the XP loading screen, and the monitor would turn back, and a little white bar would blink in the upper left hand corner and do nothing else.

this is what i am able to find at this moment about my comuter.

Compaq
Presario
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
2.13 GHz
512 MB of Ram

Compaq 7750 Color Monitor

hope this helps, if not, please let me know what ya need to know!

Thanks guys, not being able to play AH for a very long time BUGS ME!!

Egle31
Joedog31

Offline WindX

• Copper Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 12:08:48 AM »
The OS or operating system uses drivers to make the hardware perform its job. If you still have the old drivers installed they can conflict with the new hardware and cause it to overheat and even damage it in extreme cases. Always remove the old drivers for hardware thats being replaced via device manager before you install the hardware if possible.

If you dont have a fan on that video card and your system is getting hot that will definately cause it to shut off. If its a custom built system take the left side cover off (if your looking at it from front) then start it up and see if this helps. Just dont touch anything inside without touching the case and grounding yourself first. And by all means DO NOT touch anything inside the case with the system running!!!!!

If that fixes problem then you have an overheating issue. If you touched a stick of ram in the case or some other component or even if the video card or one of the other cards isnt inserted in their respective slot correctly it will not get good contact and this can cause the issue as well. Check to make sure all the cards are inserted in the pci slots and the video card is in the agp, pci, or pcie slot and is making good contact. After all this and if taking the cover off of it doesnt remedythe issue, you may want to run a full virus scan and spyware scan on your system. If you dont have an anti virus and spyware scan you can get a free copy of pc cillin from the trendmicro.com website and its good for 30 days and you can go to majorgeeks.com and get spybot search and destroy and adaware spyware scans for free.

You may also have too many programs running in the background. thats a simple fix too but one that needs to be done with someone walking you through it via instant messenger or phone. If you still have problems pm me and Ill give you my aim and yahoo screen names and Ill be glad to see if I can help.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 12:25:37 AM by WindX »

Offline nsty1

• Copper Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »
Eagle,
Did you remember to remove the old drivers from you're other video card before installing the new one? If so,that may be the main problem
though alittle more digging around may tend to bring more "critters" out :)

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
why does this happen??
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 12:11:52 AM »
i did unistall the programs before i installed the new graphics card.  What are my options for keeping it cool??  Its not a custom built PC, i actually bought it at Sams Club last feb.  Same place i just bought the new graphics card.
Joedog31

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
why does this happen??
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 02:05:06 AM »
Fans and cooling fins (heat sinks) also collect dust.  Games use lots of processor power and can overheat your PC.

Pull the cover and use some compressed air to blow the dust from the heat sinks (the fin things with a fan on them).  If your cheap like me, get a straw and blow the dust off.  Try not to spit on anything :)

My PC was shutting down not long ago when playing games.  I have a utility that tells me the temperature of the MB and Processor and it hit the high limit when playing the game.  I got a straw from the kitchen and blew dust out of the heat sink, the temperature dropped 30-40 degrees in seconds and never went higher.  It runs nice an cool again.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force