Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 830 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Firefly
« on: February 12, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »
No.. not the Tank.

The Fairey Firefly.

The Fairey Firefly was initially designed under specifications N.8/39 and N.9/39, but the prototype later updated to also fit under specification N.5/40. Designed as a two-seat Fleet reconaissance fighter based on the Fairey Fulmar,  the prototype first flew on 22 December 1941. It had a low-wing monoplane configuration with a wide-track undercarriage, smaller than the Fulmar, and provided with a more powerful engine, a single 2,250hp Rolls Royce Griffin 74 engine. The design was deliberately conventional, to bring it into service quickly, and with the trailing edge provided with patented Youngman flaps for use at low speeds and in cruise. Unlike the installation on the Barracuda, these flaps could be recessed into the wing.. Early Fireflies had a deep 'beard' radiator, later models had wing leading root intakes. The aircraft went into production on 26 August 1942 and the first production aircraft was delivered from Fairey’s Great Western Aerodrome (now London Heathrow International Airport) to RNAS Yeovilton on 4 March, 1943 where the first operational squadron, 1770, was formed in October, 1943. A total of 1623 Firefly were built.

It was mainly used as a carrier based anti-submarine, reconnaissance and strike aircraft, with a crew of pilot and oberver.  The plane carried four 20mm guns mounted in the wings and sixteen 60lb rockets or two 1,000 lb bombs. The Firefly was regarded as a versatile aircraft, taking part not only in WWII but also in the Korean war. The last was delivered in 1956. The Firefly ended its naval career as a target drone.

One of the aeroplane's most interesting features is the housing of the pilot and navigator/weapons officer in separate compartments. In addition, the innovative wing flaps, when extended, increased both the wing area and, in turn, their lift. This last feature made the heavy Firefly docile during  landings on aircraft carrier decks.

Info here: -

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/firefly.htm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:34:07 AM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Firefly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 07:09:59 PM »
Rather have the BARACUDA.  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline helldiver

• Copper Member
Firefly
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
i prefure the firefly(not tank)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Firefly
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »
If it involves a fairey, Furball wants it!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Firefly
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:22:21 AM »
Ummm... Too easy, I'm not touching that one.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Firefly
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:51:58 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
If it involves a fairey, Furball wants it!

you still got that outfit i got you for christmas?
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline helldiver

• Copper Member
Firefly
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
the firefly would be welcome:noid

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Firefly
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
i agree:noid
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --