Author Topic: Homebrewers question  (Read 170 times)

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
Homebrewers question
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
Hey :

Once again I seek the infinite wisdom of the O club, this time in homebrewing.

It's been a while since I've brewed, but the price has forced a return to the hobby / biz. I have a Chianti and a Reisling on the go now, along with two Nut Brown Ales and one American Ale.

My question is, i want to try and make some 20%  schnapp kinda stuff, peach or pear maybe. I hear  with attention to temp you can attain almost 18% with a standard champaign yeast , ( say a Levelin 1118), but has anyone ever tried Turbo yeast? I read about it online , and it seems it'll go to 20% and maybe 22%, but it seems it's for alcohol only, just sugars no fruit. I'm curious.

If anyone knows more about this Turbo Yeast, or a good way to attain high percentage, any and all info will sure be appreciated.

Thanks.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Homebrewers question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 09:12:26 PM »
You could probably save a lot of money by just stocking up on MadDog from your local 7-11.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline USHilDvl

• Copper Member
Homebrewers question
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »
Bumba...

I make mead, personally.  My research has indicated that, while you can find the 'extreme' alcohol-tolerant yeasts, they may not give you a sutable taste in the end product.  Natural yeasts die at a concentration much lower than 22%  (IIRC...13-15%??).  The super-yeasts will survive, but  get some input as to flavors and overtones before you dive in.  Might tast pretty bad.

Honestly?  I'd brew a more main-line high-alc brew...say 13-15%...for Brandy try a honey- or fruit-based wine base, then distill it!  Schnapps/Brandy at home!

There are a bunch of excellent resources, plans and price lists online...and you can build a still and experiment with the concentrations you can achieve.  I've done it before with a simple, stove-top rig I cobbled together.

**DISCLAIMER**  Distilling alcohol is illegal in the US.  Distilling water, or conducting simple experiments for informational pruposes is not.  Just don't try selling the results!

Send me a PM, and I might be able to email the manual I have, which is very informative.

Good Luck!